~ Part 26 ~ Together. Smiling. Skipping. With Linked Arms. ~

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac

-James POV-

Me and Lily-hold up, that's bad grammar, I meant 'Lily and I'-hop down the steps, arms linked, and I couldn't be happier. It's small moments like these that matter most.

Oh, and I'm also happy because me and Lily have almost every class together. I won't be as bored in History of Magic when I can just watch her the whole time!

Whoa there, I kind of sound like a creep.

Oh well.

We skip into the Great Hall, still with linked arms. Everyone turns to look at the people coming in late, and no one would've guessed.

They would've never guessed that the Never-Late Lily Evans was late.

They would've never guessed that Always-Late James Potter came in while breakfast was still going on.

And they most definitely wouldn't have guessed that the two walked in together. Smiling. Skipping. With linked arms.

Everyone just stared at us for a moment.

Lily's face started to turn red-which was obviously the most adorable thing on this planet-and I began to get a little annoyed at these starers. They had ruined a perfectly good moment.

"OI! NEVER SEEN TWO PEOPLE TOGETHER BEFORE?" Sirius yelled out at everyone. The only thing that answered was silence. "YEAH? I THOUGHT SO! NOW CONTINUE YOUR POINTLESS BABBLING!" Lily looked relieved as everyone awkwardly continued their pointless babbling.

We walked over to our usual spot, and I sat, as per the usual, in between Lily and Sirius. Lily turned to talk to her friends, so I turn to talk to my mates.

"Sooooo...." Sirius starts with a smirk.

"Sooooo....." I mimic questioningly, with an eyebrow raised.

"Why were you and Lily-flower late? Together?" He asks wiggling his eyebrows.

I roll my eyes, but still smirk. "No, no, nothing like that. And besides, you heard Minnie send me to look for her, right? That was the reason I went to look for her in the first place."

"Right. Right," Sirius says, looking over at Remus with a smirk that the werewolf returned.

"You mean you begging McGonagall to go search for her. Right," Remus says.

"What? I didn't-" I begin, but Marlene enters the conversation.

"You did," she cut in.

"I-" I start, but get cut off yet again.

"Did too!" Mary joins in.

"I didn't even get to say that I didn't!"

"Well, you did."

"Did what?" Lily too enters the conversation.

Well, this conversation is just one train wreck after another, eh? I internally groan. Lily didn't need to find out I begged Minnie to allow me to go look for her. Which I didn't, obviously.

"Can we just eat breakfast in peace?" I ask. They all grunt, still looking smugly at each other.

After downing some pumpkin juice, I notice it's 10 minutes until 8, so I speak up. "Come on, lets go to class. I'm not being late on my first day."

Sirius looks bewildered. "What? You, James Potter, care about being late?"

"James, I was just about to say that. We were just about to say the same thing. About not being late." Lily agrees with Sirius.

"Alright, alright, sod off, guys. Let's get to... my first class is Charms, anyone else?" I ask. "Well, I know you have it, Lils."

"I do." Remus says.

"Me too." Sirius says.

"Me!" Mary shouts.

"I am." Marlene says, for once calmer than Mary.

"Same." Alice agrees.

"Well, looks like we've got the whole gang in this one," Sirius points out.

"Oh yeah!"

"Come on, lets go."

We all stroll out towards the charms class, where that weird new short professor will be teaching.

Here goes nothing.

~ ~ ~
NOTES: X

-Amelia