~ Part 41 ~ EXPECTO PATRONUM ~

Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin

-Lily POV-

We push open the Charms door and tumble in, panting from running all the way from the Head dorms.

"Nice of you to join us, students," Professor Flitwick says, raised eyebrows.

"Sorry we're late, Professor. Some first years needed help finding their class," I lie. James looks at me with an impressed smirk at my smooth lie. I roll my eyes at him, returning the smirk.

"Alright. I'll let this one pass, because you're only a few minutes late. Take a seat, please," Flitwick replies. We oblige, and I take a seat by Marlene. She nudges me.

"What was that all about? In the Great Hall?" Marlene murmurs.

"I just had to get something straight with the boys," I explain. She seems to understand that I'm not revealing anything else.

"Alright class. You know that we've been learning about Patronuses this past week. So, today, I will give you the period to just at least attempt this charm. I do not expect you to succeed, as this is a challenging charm that even many adult wizards are unable to produce Flitwick says. An immediate murmur of excitement erupts in the classroom. "Remember, the incantation is 'Expecto Patronum'. You must think of your most happiest memory; if it's not happy enough, the spell will not work, so make sure it's very, well... happy." Flitwick explains. "Alright, you may take out your wands, and begin. And if you do happen to successfully produce this charm, I will bump up your grade in this class one letter."

~ ~ ~

Everyone had begun practicing, including me, but I just haven't been able to think of a good memory. I try to think of a time when I was truly happy. Maybe back when me and Petunia were friends? I don't know. I'll try that.

I think hard about one time when me and Petunia were playing dress up.

"Expect Patronum!" I shout. I'm not heard that much over all the other students shouting. I hold my wand out in front of my torso. Then I see a little blue wisp seep out of my wand.

Well, that's the best I've done. I hear Sirius clearing his throat after my success in making blue smoke.

"Step aside, step aside everyone," Sirius says loudly. I notice that none of the Marauders seemed that engaged in practicing. "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Sirius shouts. A loud gasp is sounded as a blue, smokey, dog comes out of his wand. "I CALL HIM-" Sirius begins.

"SNUFFLES!" James finishes loudly. Everyone laughs, and Sirius glares at James.

"Congratulations, Mr. Black! You are the first successful student to complete the spell!" Professor Flitwick exclaims excitedly.

"Do I get a prize?" Sirius asks, excited.

"Well, I suppose you could-"

"Be free from detention all week?" Sirius suggests.

"I... I cannot guarantee that for other classes, but... I suppose I will not give you detention all of this week unless you do something very severe."

"YES!" Sirius yells.

"Alright, students. Continue practicing," Flitwick says.

I think long and hard. I was really happy when...

I got it!

I remember at the beginning of the school year, on the train ride to Hogwarts. When we played truth or dare... that was actually... that was a very happy time!