Chapter V

Zatanna

‘Une etoile perdue’. The mysterious words from that piece of paper left Zatanna scared and puzzled not to mention that she is still in awe because of all the sudden dramatic changes in her life.

“Are you okay, Tanna? You look pale.”, Alfred asked her worryingly.

“Okay, Alfred for the second time, I’m telling you that I’m really not this Zatanna that you knew, well yes I really am Zatanna Jones but I came from a completely different world from here and honestly, I don’t have any idea on why and how did I got here, I just woke up from a really deep sleep earlier and voila! here am I! In this school with people I don’t truly know.”, Zatanna explained.

“Do you really expect that I’m gonna buy that after all of those silly pranks that you did to me? Oh come on, I’m not gonna buy that.”, Alfred laughed. Zatanna tried to stop her tears from falling because she is starting to think that there is really no way for her to get out of the world that she had gotten into, and she also can not stop thinking about the old lady and its words.

She decided to ask Alfred about it, thinking that it will help her solve the current mystery of her life. “Besides, Alfred looks like a reliable person that knows-it-all”, she thought.

“Alfred? Do you ever heard the word, ‘uno eteile perdue’? Or do you know something about it? What does it mean? Because there was this creepy old woman who suddenly talked to me earlier and she told me that I should be ready for the things that is gonna happen soon. I’m scared, its boggling my mind, so can you help me?”, Zatanna asked him eagerly.

“Well, no doubt, that old lady surely knows something about you, anyways thanks to my French class, the words you just said simply means, ‘the lost star’.”, Alfred said while fixing his eyeglasses.

“The lost star?”,  Zatanna repeated.

She thought about that thing for an hour until she decided to stop because no matter what she do, she just can’t connect it to the mystifying events happening on her life presently.

The only thing that she’s sure of is that she loves stargazing with her friends because she really has that great adoration to the stars, ever since she was a child.

After all their classes had ended, Zatanna followed Alfred everywhere he went since the place is obviously, unfamiliar to her. She just went with him until they passed by on a dark and terrifyingly quiet street called Bestoe.

“Do we have nowhere else to go? I’m having some creepy vibes on this place.”, Zatanna told Alfred. “Really, Tanna, what’s happening to you? You don’t have to worry, besides all of us here in Dervia, including you knows that this is the safest place here. Or do you really want to walk on the Crime Street., or on the Grief Street.?”

“Huh?”, Zatanna was startled.

“Oh sorry! I just forgot that we name our streets here, like that. You know that a lot of things is occupying my mind right now, don’t you? He he.”, Zatanna faked a laugh, pretending that she knew the place all along.

After minutes of walking, they both smell a foul and stench odor, like that of a dead animal. “Do you smell that too?”, both of them asked each other.

Zatanna and Alfred became curious on where the ill-smell is coming from so they decided to tread on its heels. They soon found the outset of the stinky odor and they didn’t expect what they see.

“AAAAHHHH!”, Zatanna shrieked in terror and lose her consciousness while because of what she saw while Alfred just smiled widely beside her, whilst looking at the young man’s dead body in the dark.