Chapter XIV

Zatanna

  Zatanna hurried towards the police station after she learned about Jaziel. But as she is on her way, Zatanna suddenly felt a strange presence beside her, however, when she turned her head to look around, she only saw a middle-aged guy carrying a brown suitcase walking beside her. The man just took a glance on her and he continued walking, not minding Zatanna.

  Zatanna just shrugged her shoulder and she kept going. After about 10 minutes, Zatanna finally arrived at the station and she was surprised for the man that she saw walking earlier was standing in the entrance door, like he’s waiting for someone.

  Zatanna went near him to ask for assistance for the man looks like he was working there, based on his clothing and appearance. “Excuse me, sir? It looks like you’re working here. Do you mind if I ask you where the officers investigating the murder of a guy named Jaziel Forth are? I’m here to tell something that I think will help them. I’m Zatanna Jones, one of the witnesses of the crime.”, Zatanna said to the man.

  The man looked at her by up and down motion. “Oh, you’re the girl running on the streets earlier. Ah, so you’re the Zatanna Jones.”, the man nodded his head, as if he remembered something.

  “Well then, I'm Inspector Dorin, one of the people assigned to Mr. Jaziel Forth’s murder case, perfect timing because I’m also planning to contact you for cross-examination.”, the Inspector stated while offering his hand to Zatanna, she accepted his hand and they went inside the police station together.

  “So, Miss Jones you found the corpse at 9:00 p.m. sharp, right?", the inspector reviewed his notes while looking at Zatanna from time to time, Zatanna nodded her head. Inspector Dorin asked her more questions thoroughly.

  “So, about the evidence that we found at the crime scene, it turns out that the victim had been killed about 2 days have passed before you and the guy your with saw him there. We searched for any of his belongings but we didn’t find anything else aside from this perfume bottle.", he took the item out from a zip-locked container and he showed it to Zatanna. The appearance of the bottle looked familiar to her.

  “Woah! Wait! I know this perfume. This is my favorite perfume as a child, I use this all the time before. This is the Rosé Perfume.”, Zatanna said in bewilderment because it was the same perfume that her late grandmother gave her before.

  Zatanna soon started to have a lot of questions because it was very obvious that the perfume is freshly bought, but its cap is already opened. Zatanna told Dorin about it.

  Inspector Dorin partly smiled because from their investigation, he became aware that Jaziel is an orphan and he had no other friends from the opposite gender aside from Zatanna.

  Dorin is also presuming the that the suspect is a girl who has a close relationship to the victim, and that is Zatanna. He is just waiting for Zatanna to be caught by her own mouth to prove his assumptions correct.

  Eventually, Inspector Dorin let Zatanna leave. After that, Zatanna ran towards Alfred's home and while at it, she thought of many ways to beat him up. She knocked at the door angrily, but nobody answered.

  She tried to turn the doorknob and she was surprised that the door is open. “Doesn't he know that it's dangerous outside?”, she thought.

  When she finally got to enter the house, she didn't see anyone and anything so she tried looking for him upstairs. At that moment, she came up with a plan to inspect on Alfred for the reason that her suspicions about him is even more growing.

  By and by, she finally got to see Alfred’s room and at last, she managed to enter it. She looked over the room and she decided to check on the cabinet because it was like her instinct is convincing her to open it.

After opening the cabinet, she was very shocked to see a perfume positioned beside Alfred’s clothes and it was no other than the Rosé Perfume.

  Zatanna’s suspicion grew. “Why in the world would Alfred use a female product?”, she whispered to herself. While she is still thinking about what she saw, she went out of his room and searched in every place until she stopped, because she heard someone’s voice coming from the bathroom.

   “Twinkle..twinkle.. little star, ha ha ha ha", she heard a man’s voice singing a famous rhyme song and he is letting out a maniacal laugh.

  Even though she is scared to wits, Zatanna eagerly and quietly went towards the bathroom, she stayed behind a wall, secretly peeking inside the bathroom, but her blood ran cold at what and who she heard and saw.

  “You did a great job, Alfred. Killing that disgusting pig who’s daring to take what's yours.", the psychopathic man creepily stated which makes the hell out of Zatanna, whose tears are now falling continuously. “N-no, please don’t be him.”, Zatanna whispered nervously. Zatanna tried to hold her tears from coming out even more because she knew that the man might caught her.

   The sinister felt someone staring at him from behind, enraged and terrified he turned to take a look and they were both shocked to see one another.

  Zatanna was extremely horrified for her instincts were right, the man she was looking at is no other than, “A-Alfred.”, the poor girl stated while trembling in fear and anger.