Angels We Call on Thee

Val was laughing as she sipped her drink. The other fallen angels, minus one, had joined their lunch and were entertaining her. Tamara was describing the different ways they imagined earth was while Eva added in her opposition. Things that they suggested were absolutely crazy.

Assumptions such as mechanical wings that were similar to their own. Delivery methods that were arranged by birds. Dwellings built in trees and rock with a natural appeal. Other unique ideas that didn't even make sense in her daydreams.

"Now, why not? Why wouldn't you have an item that could make animals speak?" Artemisia growled.

Val covered her lips and attempted to stifle her smile. "Well, most people don't care about them, Arte."

"Despicable humans!" Tamara groaned.

Simon gazed over at Lucifer with an arched eyebrow. "Thoughts?"

Lucifer rocked in his oversized chair before hemming. "Well, most humans are indeed repugnant. However," he paused while Simon glared. "I have come to recognize that not all see the world for what it can give them."

"Not me. I'm entirely hostage to it," Val snickered.

Egon reached over and ruffled her hair. "No, don't lie. You're a delightful half-human."

Val snorted as she elbowed him. "Don't press your luck. I have my Father's rage."

"Don't we know that," Lucifer grumbled before taking his glass to his lips.

She shot him an intense glower. "Some people don't value space."

Simon scrubbed his face and breathed. "Val."

"Well, some don't appear to grasp the application of customs," Lucifer replied with his eyebrows elevated off their resting place.

"Is he always this vexatious?" Val pivoted to Egon.

"No, Val, he's just pressing your nerves. Lucifer, please don't challenge her. We've been having such a grand time," Eva sighed as she touched her cheek.

"I believed you two were quite civil coming back in?" Simon groaned.

Lucifer smirked as he relaxed in his chair. "We are."

Val huffed as she swung her black hair behind her. "He's back to his temperate self."

"Temperate? I'm not the maelstrom of passion here," Lucifer retorted.

"Maelstrom, what are you, ancient?" Val hissed.

Lucifer couldn't help the grin that evolved on his lips. "Yes."

Val let off a considerable groan and directed her back to him. "As I was saying. Animals were seen differently. Most people were obsessed with social media."

"And awful paint on their face they call makeup," Lucifer added. "I believe Tamara and Artemisia would obsess over the style."

Val shifted her eyes over her shoulder at him. "Just because the consensus of beauty for you is flawless, unachievable skin doesn't mean it's the majority of the world's thought. Some of us like to disguise blemishes."

"I always thought you were far more appealing without that offensive residue on your face," Lucifer noted with a shrug.

"Oh, my, there's so much tension in here," Tamara whispered to Eva noisy enough for the others to hear.

Val returned to her posture of ignoring him, but couldn't hide the blooming color on her cheeks. "Thank you," she grumbled.

Egon grinned and touched her face. "Oh, Val, you're so cute when you're being modest. I have this urge to kiss you."