Chapter 1: A New Beginning

For the comfort of all readers, I have made all the characters above 20. However, you can age them however you like.

[WARNING] This book will probably trigger someone's anxiety so if you don't want to, you don't have to read it. Even I'm having a hard time not crying whilst writing it. There's gonna be so much angst 😭. Enjoy!

The darkness formed a cloak around her shadowing her from the rest of the world, but also making her the perfect target. As her heels clicked on the floor and echoed, it only reminded her of the fact that she was all alone in a new city that she'd hopped through a portal to get to. She pulled off the glasses and placed them safely in her purse and as if by instinct, or perhaps some sort of reassurance, she touched her ears and was met with the familiar cool touch of her earrings reminding her that she was in fact not alone. And that in her purse stuffing herself with cookies to get ready for any attacks, was her beloved kwami, Tikki.

Her stomach growled angrily begging for food and her feet screamed at her to kick off her heels and give herself a well-needed foot massage. She groaned as she felt the throbbing of her head and felt sick; perhaps from fear...or maybe something else.

Tears began going at her eyes but she wiped them off and continued to walk down the lonely street in her shredded pastel pink lace dress. This was one of her favourites as well. She heard movements from behind and began to speed up her steps, however the thing behind her matched her pace. This was the time for a little of Ladybug's luck. Although she knew that transforming in plain sight and infront of a witness was a terrible idea as it would not only expose her identity, but also risk her family and friends being tortured for it as well, she also doubted that anyone outside of Paris even knew what was going on.

She wasn't stupid. If anyone else knew, it would be the latest news all over the world and she scoffed at the possibility of scientists not paying a visit to their humble city of love (and apparently akumas too). Besides, even if they did know who she was, she could just silence them.

As she came to an abrupt stop and heard the person behind her stop as well, she whispered the words, "Tikki. Spo-" BAM! Marinette almost jumped out of her skin as she heard a loud thump from behind and practically felt the man's scream. Then everything went silent.

"Mind telling me what you're doing roaming around the streets of Gotham at 2 in the morning?" a voice cut through the silence, their deep American accent almost ruining their fluent French.

"How do you know I'm French?" she asked in English. Marinette had yet to turn around and meet the mystery man.

"You're the embodiment of a typical French person."

"Isn't that a bit assumptive?"

"Maybe." he chuckled, "But your thick French accent also gave it away.

Marinette silently scolded herself. She really needed to work on her accent. Pretending to speak English wouldn't work if her homeland was practically stuck in her throat the whole time.

She finally turned around. Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to make out the figure in the dark. He then took a step closer and she realised immediately who it was, Robin.

"You know being saved by a walking talking traffic light wasn't what I had in mind when I decided to move to Gotham for a change of pace."

His eyes narrowed in suspicion, "But why Gotham?"

"I don't know. I guess you could say I put a bunch of America's countries in a hat and Gotham was the one I plucked out." Her humorous answer caused the side of his mouth to twitch up.

"Very funny. So why not tell me the real reason you're here." All her hopes of deceiving him crumbled. She couldn't tell him that she' d been in a rush to escape and so opened a magical portal to anywhere but there and hopped in! He'd think she was crazy!