Chapter 12: Two sides

Okay, so I don't really know much about pregnancy (I should've done my research) but right now, Marinette's in her first trimester. Also, it's been too long! I'm sorry guys! So, enjoy! :-)

[Warning] Angst ahead. Proceed with caution.

Also, I got the information of night terrors online so I take like no credit!

She sighed as she stapled yet another missing persons flier onto yet another wall and proceeded across the street to go and put another one up.

Marinette had been missing for a few weeks now and not one person had caught sight of her before or after the events of those few nights ago. She cringed at the memory of the police tape and the corpses. Her parents. When she'd told her told her to run in that last phone call, she'd been hoping for her to at least tell her where she was going. But instead she'd chosen to disappear.

She wiped away a tear dropping down her cheek and sniffed before a hand on her shoulder and a soothing voice turned her around.

Nino smiled contrasting the red of his eyes; remnants of his tears. "I've finished on my side. How about we go grab a croissant from the Dupain-Chengs and meet up with the others?"

Alya nodded. Yeah. That was a good idea. As they began to walk, she looked up at him.

"Can we grab a few macaroons as well?" Marinette loved macaroons.

-&-

"What's a night terror?" Marinette pulled her cover closer to herself covering her sleep attire from the other 14 eyes on her.

"It's kind of like a nightmare and sleepwalking put together. However, unlike sleepwalking, it's an episode of screaming, intense fear and flailing."

Marinette huffed. Just why did she have to suffer so much? Was this some sort of cruel joke the gods were playing on her?

"You need a therapist."

She looked at Jason. "What?"

He crossed his arms over his chest. "We should've taken you to a therapist the moment we learnt about all of this."

Her head shook. "You're not sending me to a shrink."

"Mari--"

"No!" She wrapped the cover around herself. "You're not sending me to someone! I don't want you to! I don't want to! You can't!"

Dick sighed. "Fine, we won't but you have to talk to someone. You need to talk to us."

She shook her head. "No!"

"Mari--"

A red hand stopped him as Tikki flew forward. "Marinette." Marinette almost shook. Tikki had never looked so serious. "This is not up to negotiation. I've let you run free for too long. Whether you like it or not, you have...no, must..start listening to me! You have to listen to my warnings or you'll squeeze yourself dry. You can't keep running from your fears, you have to face them."

Marinette turned her head away from the kwami. Tikki sighed in annoyance (Yes people, Tikki is annoyed! Tikki!) and flew closer. "Listen to me Marinette! This partnership won't work if you don't." She paused waiting but when Marinette kept her gaze on the window, she carried on. "These night terrors. They're a mix of your fears and desires." Marinette's head whipped back to face the kwami.

"Desires?"

Tikki nodded. "I don't know what you saw but your mind is trying to tell you something. Tell me what you saw."

Marinette hesitated before she shifted into a more comfortable position on the bed and stared at Tikki attempting to erase the view of all the other eyes on her then spoke. "I woke up in the hospital. My clothes had changed and no one was there. I was all alone. The room was dark - everywhere was just so dark. And-And I couldn't stop hearing my heart beat. It just kept getting louder and louder-" she lifted her hands to her ears and shut her eyes "and louder the more I walked. The clock was frozen at two in the morning. The hallways were dark and were lit up by a few lights so I could see where I was going but I couldn't see what was in front of me. There was an elevator but it only had the second floor. A nurse passed by me in a rush and she said that she had to go and then I heard crying. A baby. No. Two babies. They were so beautiful!" she smiled "They had the same hair as me but had different eyes that almost glowed in the dark; one had my blue eyes and the other eyes had...his eyes. They stopped crying when I picked them up and fell asleep. Such beautiful boys!" she laughed but then stopped and frowned. "But my baby was gone. My stomach was flat. And-And I heard a gun cocking and I turned around and-" a tear dropped down her cheek "and I-I-I saw--I saw-"