Chapter 11: Wake Up

I realised that I haven't been focusing much on Marinette's feelings and stuff and how her past trauma has started to affect her so from now on, things will be getting a lot deeper as I slow down and focus more on her emotions and what she does to bear with it.

[Trigger Warning]

Her eyes opened to darkness. The room was silent and was filled with the slow beeping of the heart monitor next to her bed. She looked to the left looking for her purse but the table was empty. Her eyebrows furrowed as she frowned. She slowly lifted herself up wincing at the throbbing pain in her head when she swung her legs down to touch the floor. When skin met tile, it sent a shiver down her spine. Where were her shoes? She slowly stood up allowing her feet to adjust to the new temperature of the floor and made her way to the window where she pulled the curtain aside. It was dark. She looked at the clock but it had stopped ticking and instead stood ground at exactly 2 in the morning; the hour-hand dead on 12 and the minute-hand dead on 2.

She shivered as a small gust of wind came in from the window and hit her shoulders, the hospital gown weakly swaying before coming to a stop. When had she changed her clothes? She looked at the window debating whether or not to close it. The sound of cars filled the room before they were silenced when she shut the window drowning out the noise. When had she opened the window?

She looked around again. Her door was left slightly ajar. Where had everyone gone? Had she fallen asleep and they left without saying goodbye? She tried to think back but her thoughts became fuzzy. She huffed. Whatever. She was starving and apparently she'd missed lunch time so the best she could do now was to go out, find a nurse and ask for something to eat.

The door creaked as she opened it. She looked around but found the place empty as well. The hallway was dark albeit there were a few lights turned on allowing her to see down it. "Hello?" Her voice bounced off the walls echoing down the hall and dissipated into the air as though it hadn't appeared in the first place. When no answer came, she walked further down. She knocked on the next room but when no answer came, she opened it to find the bed empty as well. It had definitely been slept on but the sleeper was nowhere to be found. She frowned again, her lip twitching in worry. When she came to the next door, it was opened and she peeked in to find another bed empty; definitely slept in but the sleeper nowhere to be found. This spiked at the fear building in her stomach.

The sound of her footsteps grew as her pace increased; the sweat from her feet sticking to the tiled floor before ripping themselves off and carrying on with their journey. "Hello?" Her voice wavered as it grew in depth. The hospital was active 24/7 no matter what time of day so where the hell was everyone? She could see the elevator coming into sight as she paced down the hall. She stopped and moved to press the button but froze as a 'ding' was heard and the doors opened as though expecting her. She looked back at the dimly lit hallway before stepping into the box of metal. The door closed leaving her to make her decision as to which floor she would go to. Her eyes widened when she looked to the buttons and only found the number '2'. No alarm button. No ground floor, no 1st floor, no 3rd or 4th or anything else. Just 2. What the hell was going on?

She pressed the button watching as the elevator moved from whatever floor she was at now and moved. She couldn't tell whether she was moving up or down but jumped at the 'ding' indicating she'd reached her destination. The doors slowly opened to reveal another hallway almost identical to the other one but being more spacious. She stepped out and they closed behind her.

She looked around. It seemed the only place to go was forward. Hopefully she would find someone along the way. She walked down flinching when a light flickered before turning off. Another light broke. A normal person would turn around, however, she was no normal person. She was Marinette Dupain-Cheng, wielder of the Ladybug miraculous and temporary wielder of the black cat and horse. She continued forward before hearing a noise. She squinted her eyes as she saw a figure running towards her and lifted her arms up in defence but lowered them when she saw it was a nurse. The nurse slowed down when she reached her. "Um excuse me, where is everyone?" The nurse shrugged before speeding up. "I'm sorry, I'm in a rush, I have to go."