FOUR

* * *

"I am not an invalid! I can stand on my own!" Simona exclaimed.

Ally stepped back, rolling her eyes. Mani just stared, amused at their bickering. Camila just kept chewing on a mouthful of banana pudding, ignoring them all.

Then, the old woman groaned, "Oh my gay! My hips . . . I think it popped,"

"Maybe you should use a stick," Ally dared suggest.

Simona glared at the younger woman and proceeded to stretch her limbs with a grimace, feeling some of her joints pop.

"I'm fine," the older woman grumbled.

Simona and the three members of the Lionhearts were now gathered in the kitchen of their modest house. The oldest woman was seated on the chair filling up cannolis because she was bored, add some octogenarian hormones to that because she's still on her period despite living in an old woman's body, and she just have the sweetest disposition of them all.

It's already late in the evening and only Simona makes cannoli in the dead of the night.

However, the three other ladies busied themselves tending to their weapons while enjoying a sweet snack of banana pudding. It's a regular thing they do when they can't sleep, or when they plan their next conquest. Cleaning and sharpening the tools of their trade over sweet snacks.

"Where's Dinah? She mentioned she'll be quick trading gems for coins," Mani asked quietly.

It is imperative to them to always speak so quiety and be as attentive as well. Who knows who lurks in the dark corners keeping their ears on the ground.

"You know how the Tongan traders are when they make a stop in this island," Camila replied, "They're very meticulous in their trades,"

To other people, they were just a group of women who runs the most decent tavern in the whole island. To any bystander, Simona was just an old hag, sagging and forgotten by the world, dragging her "granddaughters" Camila and Ally and her servant Normani, or as they prefer to call her Mani, anywhere she goes. Dinah only came into the picture as a regular trader of ales and wine and some other exotic beverages and spices, as well as the local favorite brew, cerveza negro; she's just another regular customer who likes the foulest drink they have to offer.

But truth of the matter is that she also lives with Simona and her "granddaughters". The tallest girl has an uncanny talent in making herself blend in or be simply invisible whenever she wants to. That serves a purpose as she's the one tasked to spy around. And when she announces her presence, it is always quite a show that involves blood and gore.

"You think Dinah needs backup?" Ally asked.

"No. She's fine on her own and safer for all of us,"

"Maybe I should check on her," Normani stood from her seat, done with her spear.

"I. Said. No. Dinah is fine on her own," Camila said sternly.

And Normani knows all too well not to go against the boss.

Only Dinah is brave, or perhaps stupid, enough to challenge Camila. Whatever the issue is, be it a flaw or risks in their plans or something as menial as fighting over their laundry, the tall one is unapologetically outspoken towards their boss; she's not intimidated by the boss' temperament. And perhaps Dinah can handle herself well on her own should any trouble may arise. It is a known fact to all of them that the girl can kick some serious ass and stay gorgeous doing it.

However, only Camila knows where the girl has really gone to. The trade with the Tongans has already been dealt with earlier in the day and these bronze skinned traders has already gone their own merry way by now. Dinah is done dealing exchanging gems with them for loads of money, and put it in safe keeping, ready to be distributed among the peasants of northern city boundaries of Taurea. She just have another business to deal with and only the boss knows all too well about it.