•|| rhythm ||•

As dismal as it may sound, I have never experienced checking-in in a hotel before. Well, as much as I would have loved to lounge in a luxurious room with a queen-sized bed and soft, silky sheets, I don't have the money to. I mean, I'm just a hobo that couldn't even afford Netflix. Well, I wouldn't need to afford it if my best friend can; I can just easily barge inside his house to Netflix and chill.

Moving on, before your green minds take over the comment section, being one who wasn't born in a family with a lot of money, I learned to saved up money in a very young age, which led to me turning to a cheapskate, then to one who would run a business of doing projects involving editing videos and such, and then to a sadist who would turn everything into a bet with my one and only idiot of a best friend. Hey, we need money in this cruel world.

Both in the real one and in this dreadful one, especially in this dreadful one actually.

"Look at all the money we've got, Onee-chan!" Dororo came rushing towards my direction in an incredibly enthusiastic manner, reminding me of a child coming home to show off to her mother a golden star in her drawing. As she jiggled the heavy-looking pouch of coins, I can see her hopping up and down with great excitement, her bright face grinning from ear-to-ear. "And, guess what, Onee-chan!" She continued, her eagerness not dying even for a miniscule.

Not knowing how to exactly react as I wasn't much a fan of kids, I gave a lopsided smile. "What...?"

As far as I'm concerned, don't bother on asking me to babysit anyone. I swear to my Pokemon card collection that the little brat would be babysitting me instead or you would end up with two children crying instead of one. The other one would be me.

"We will be staying in an inn tonight." The black-haired child mused proudly, before adding. "It was part of the reward for ridding the pest on a farming village not far from here."

I may not be the most street-smart person out there, looking back at how many times I almost got ran-over by a car. But, I am very well aware that a job that pays suspiciously too much is gonna be hella shady. I am not always an idiot when it comes to life. I mean, I'm not dead, am I?

"Wait a minute. Don't you think your client is a bit too generous." I remarked, quite suspicious. My claim wipes the smile out of the young girl's face instantly as I came to the realization that I may not have considered my choice of words that well. Hmm, I should learn to not act rather insensitive in situations like this. I breathed out a sigh, bringing a hand on my forehead. "Look. I don't intend to burst your bubble here. But, I believe it would be naive to trust just anyone."

"That's quite something, hearing it from you of all people, airhead." Dororo remarks harshly, earning her a sharp glare from yours truly. Our usual gag would be narrating the boyish girl's unfazed persona right after, chuckling to further rile me up. However, in this situation, the chestnut-eyed girl returns the grimace, showing her great displeasure from my offhanded comment. "Unlike you, Aniki and I came to check where we would be staying first before agreeing. And, I'll have you know that we wouldn't just be staying there. We're going to do a few errands for the inn owner and look for a few herbs."

What does she mean unlike me? I'll have her know that I check if there's still unflushed shit in the toilet bowl before using a public bathroom. I am not that careless.

"You should have said so in the first place." I rolled my eyes, followed with a click of my tounge. "But I am still not buying it. I'm pretty sure that place is either haunted or a psychopath is ready to murder us to sell our organs in the blackmarket."

It may come off as paranoid, but knowing my luck is as marvelous as the Baudelaire's, I wouldn't be surprised if my assumption were to end up correct. And, if you have gotten that reference, can I have the pleasure to kidnap you and force you to be my friend.