Chapter 4- Burnt espresso

Oof, this is somewhat a filler, a bit fluffy, but if you don't want meaningless fillers, I'll summarise it in the next chap!

Tw: cursing, mention of past ritual/summoning, a Lil' bonding between the two bois, let me know if I need to put more, stay safe!
____

Roman chuckled and grabbed Virgil's hand, pulling him along as he opened the door and dashed out, Virgil giggling a bit as they ran away from the torture house. Soon enough their sprint had calmed down to a walk as they exited the neighborhood and walked to the downtown area.

"W-where are we even going?" Virgil asked as he walked beside Roman, panting slightly seeing as he to run long enough to get out of the neighborhood, and frankly, being an underweight, beaten up and bruised, abused and anxiety-filled emo teenager is a pretty valid reason why he's so out of shape.

"I know a place we can stay, it's not too far from your high school, which is good," Roman said as they walked past a few cafes and shops. Roman wasn't breathing as heavily or as tired as Virgil and seeing as he's a literal demon, it makes sense.

"Wait, roman?" Virgil asked and stopped walking for a moment, making the Demon stop and turn around.

"yes, darling?" Roman asked, a curious glint in his eyes as he looked up an down his small tired human, inspecting him if he had any obvious indication of injury- well obviously he had a lot but, he could only get that fixed up once they've settled.

"Why can't you do that-...y'know- uh, teleport thingy? Well, not teleport, I mean I wouldn't know, I didn't see what was happening but-" Virgil stopped his rambling and sighed nervously, "you know what I'm talking about right?" He smiled nervously as he had a look that said "please kill me".

Roman smiled softly and brought their intertwined hands up to press a kiss on virgil's, effectively making the emo blush slightly at the action, " I know what you're talking about dear but, unfortunately, I can't do that at the moment." Roman said as he slowly resumed their pace of calm walking.

"Can I ask why?" Virgil questioned as he walked beside Roman again, his face slightly flushed, but otherwise fine.

"Well, for one, my dear, there are too many people here, granted, it's around 7, but we can't risk it, " Roman listed, "second, I can't really do the teleport thing- as you referred to it- with these, " he gestured to the bags he was carrying, " so we're walking to the place."

"hold on for a sec- what about my backpack??" Virgil asked, tilting his head to the side like a confused pup.

"That passed through because it didn't carry much- unlike these" Roman answered, pausing momentarily as he saw a cafe with an open sign.

"Now, with your questions answered, would you like to get something to eat?" Roman asked gesturing to the aforementioned cafe with a smile. Virgil bit his lip in thought but before he could answer, his stomach answered for him. Virgil flushed and cursed all of his bodily functions.

Roman simply giggled and swung their hands as he began leading them to the cafe, "let's go then."

They quickly got to the cafe and entered, the person on the counter perked up slightly but then slouched down, mumbling a tired, "welcome to the 3'o'clock stop, what can get I do for Ya?"

Virgil nodded politely as he and roman walked up to the counter and ordered. Virgil got a chai tea with a small blueberry muffin while Roman, although he had no reason to eat or drink, got a simple macchiato. Roman somehow managed to get their food for a low price, simply flashing a smile at the barista as his eyes glowed subtlety.

Roman smiled and paid with what money they had and went to sit down at a table at a dark corner of the cafe, which Virgil appreciated, he didn't like the way the sun shines too brightly when it was morning. They sat down, silent as they waited for their names to be called, although, it wasn't awkward but it wasn't exactly what you would call comfortable.

Sure Roman's been plenty affectionate and gentle to Virgil, but Virgil doesn't know what to think. It was a lot to process, he summoned a demon who he made a contract with who then got rid of his abusers- albeit they did deserve what they got- and now that same demon's currently humming softly as he waited for their food to arrive because he's helping him find a new place to live.

Virgil sighed and brought out his phone and started twiddling with a few things, something to keep his mind occupied as they waited. Eventually, their names got called and they got their drinks and food and sat back down, the silence back once again but the demon wanted to break it.

"So.." Roman started, taking a small sip from his drink, "how about we get to know each other?" He proposed, gently setting his cup down. Virgil raised an eyebrow as he poked his muffin, "Why?" He asked, finally picking up the poor muffin and took a small nibble.

"Why not, sweetheart?" Roman questioned, his red eyes gleaming with something Virgil couldn't quite place. He hesitated for a few seconds before sighing, "Alright fine ya' demon guy, shoot."

Roman smiled and asked Virgil an assortment of questions one of which was, surprisingly enough, about musicals. Turns out the demon has seen a few, although they were old and labeled as the classics. Currently, Virgil was showing him the more recent musicals, DEH, Heathers, BMC, In the heights, etc.

Virgil could help but laugh at the way the demon's eyes lit up when Virgil played "waving through a window" for him to hear- on headphones of course.

"This...is wonderful..." Roman said, getting mesmerized by the vocals of the singer and the music, this was unlike what he remembered the last time he was up in the mortal world.

Virgil snorted and took the headphones off of Roman, seeing as the song was over, "I mean, yeah, they're musicals." He said as he finished the last of his muffin and chai tea. Roman smiled and nodded his head slightly, tapping his fingers on the table as he waited for Virgil to finish up.

"Alright darling, you ready to go?" Roman asked as he held out his hand for Virgil to take, carrying the 3 bags with ease. Virgil nodded and took their now-empty cups and the muffin wrapper and threw them away into a nearby trashcan.

They walked out of the cafe and continued their walk to the place roman mentioned. They walked in silence, this time it was more at ease and comfortable than before. Soon enough, they arrived at their destination after walking for almost an hour.

"And here we are, my dear emo," Roman said as he lead Virgil to a house that looked like it could belong in a movie. It wasn't a mansion, no, it seemed like those houses you see in stereotypical teenage American movies. It looked like it could house 3-4 people inside and it had walls connecting to a gate that had pots of flowers decorating the outside. Needless to say, it seemed like a comfortable home.

"Ok, is it weird that you have a house and you're a demon?" Virgil questioned as roman unlocked the gate so they could get in. Roman shrugged as he let Virgil in first, "One of the people who I've made a deal with left this house and moved to LA, he didn't trust anybody else to buy it so the cooky guy gave this house to me." Roman said, closing the gate and locking it, "It was extremely weird but hey, at least it has a purpose now."

Virgil blinked in confusion as he listened to what Roman said. So some weirdo made a deal with a demon, wanted to move to LA but didn't trust anybody with the house so he gave it to the same demon he made a deal with? And Roman took it?....

Y'know what, this isn't going to be the weirdest thing Virgil will ever hear. He should just stop questioning shit like this when he, himself made a deal with the same fucking demon.

"Oh..kay.." Virgil mumbled as he entered the house, looking around the place, it was nice. Maybe living with this demon won't be so bad...