Chapter 21: Confusion

I felt sick. My stomach lunged forward and I felt myself holding my breath. Everything felt fuzzy and out of view. Should I be happy? Should I be disappointed? I really didn't know.

"Haley." My mom tried getting my attention. I snapped out of it, looking towards her.

"I didn't want to tell you right now, but I really have no choice. We're leaving in a week." She said slowly.

"A week..." I mumbled, not really grasping it. A week only of seeing my friends? A week only of being a senior? I couldn't even graduate with my friends...after all that talk about graduation plans and trips. I couldn't even look forward to it and it made me sick.

"I..." I paused, "I need some time to think." My eyes met hers, as I pulled my hand out of her grasp.

"Haley, I-" She stood up as I felt my legs stand up and walk towards the door as if they had a mind of their own. I couldn't stay here. I couldn't breathe. I hurriedly walked down the steps of my house, crossing my arms in the cold and hurrying down the street.

It was so cold outside and I couldn't even feel it. My head felt like it was spinning, like I was spinning. My legs had a mind of their own as I felt myself walking across the street, turning corners and stopping at a cemetery.

I paused, looking down at my fathers name on a tombstone, before sitting down slowly.

My thoughts were mushed. There was so much I didn't want to leave. I mean, my dad is here. I've grown up here. So much memories enriched in this town, it just doesn't make sense to leave. I know I'm being selfish. I should be happy, thrilled even! My mom probably has an amazing job now and can support Eli and I comfortably. But I just can't. And I feel terrible for not being happy. I felt like a horrible daughter.

I tilted my head back, clearly frustrated. If only this happened six months ago it would've been easier. The bachelors wouldn't have known me or even cared about me. And now it just feels so...unfair. Just when things are going my way and now I have to leave? I shut my eyes, a tear escaping onto my lap. This was so unfair.
-
I didn't quite know how long I've been sitting here, or even what time it was. I just knew it was dark now and my eyes were getting droopy. My hands and legs were freezing, almost numbing but I didn't care. I didn't want to go home and face my mom. I really didn't know what I'd say to her. I can imagine myself pleading to her to stay, that maybe we could find another way, but I just couldn't bring myself down to do that.

I chewed my lip as I thought, almost drawing blood, my knees tucked to my chest.

A noise of a branch cracking whipped my head in the direction, feeling a bit surprised to see Leo, his cheeks pink from the cold as his hands were stuffed into his jacket.

"Hey." He said softly. I blinked up at him, not knowing what to say.

"I tried finding you but," he looked around, "this place is huge and it's dark...and a little scary."

I smiled slightly at that, "How did you know I was here?"

He shrugged, walking over sheepishly towards me, before groaning as he sat down like an old man. I looked over towards him questionably.

"Your mom called me and said you left." He tilted his head cutely, "She said I could find you here maybe." He placed his elbows on his knees, tilting back slightly.

I nodded slowly, putting the pieces together. Leo slowly took off his jacket, before leaning towards me and placing it on my shoulders. I didn't seem to notice, feeling swarmed with my own conscience. I wonder if she told him why I was mad. But, judging by his face, I'm guessing she didn't tell him. Which I was thankful for. I wanted to tell him on my own time, in my own way. But I really had no clue how.