My Lungs Gave Out

Alex's POV

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Jack, I can't do this." I mumbled outside of the school building.

"Yes you can, dear." He assured and held my hand. I pulled my hoodie sleeves over my hands and sighed. We walked in and things seemed normal. People watched us carefully as if they didn't believe I was in the hospital. We got our schedules from the office and the principal looked at me.

"Welcome back, Alex. Hope you fell better." She told me. I nodded and gave her a smile. We checked and had the same schedule, so we walked to class. No one really asked anything, and I smiled when I should.  People seemed to think everything was normal. However, around third period, the monotone voice of the principal went over the intercom.

"Welcome back, students. Just a quick announcement about the school dresscode. It's been since last year, I know, and it's the first day back, but I've seen a lot of dress code breakers. Ladies, your shorts need to be past you fingertips boys, you cannot wear cut off shirts. And I also know we've been having some cold weather lately but no hooded jackets. Too many students are wearing their hoods in class and trying to get away with stuff they shouldn't do. So please take your hoodies off."

Jack turned to me and I looked to my hoodie. Everyone in the room that was wearing a hoodie took it off, and the teacher looked at me.

"Alex, take the hoodie off."he told me. I blinked back a tear and slowly took my hoodie off. A few people around the room laughed and joked.

"Hey, Alex. Why so serious?" Someone said.

"You know how I got these scars?" The guys friend mocked the Jokers voice. I kept my head down.

"Hey, Alex. What made you try to kill yourself? Was Josh right and you couldn't handle the pressure?" Someone said. Jack turned around.

"Seriously?  Shut up and leave him alone, you ignorant assholes." He snapped.

"Everyone stop it!" The teacher yelled. "Boys, leave Alex alone. You don't know the full story, and that's his buisness. And Jack,  inappropriate language is not allowed in school." I kept my head down the rest of the day, and held my arms to my sides all day so no one could see. At the end of the day, I pulled my hoodie on and hugged Jack. He held onto me tightly and kissed my head.

"If my mom will give me some money, will you go to the store and buy some long sleeved shirts?" I asked. He nodded.

"Of course." He said. We walked, and stopped at his house while he got his wallet and jacket. We walked to my house next and asked my mom for money. She agreed and told me to not stay out too late, but she wouldn't be home until late.

"How far of a walk is it to the mall?" I asked Jack.

"To far of a walk. That's why I'm stealing May's car." He said.

"I keep forgetting that you can drive." I mumbled and shook my head. Once we back to his house, he walked in to grab the keys. We got into the car and began driving.

"So, why does May have a car but you don't?" I asked.

"Well, it's actually a shared car, I just don't use it. Mom is trying to get me one, though." He replied. I nodded and started messing with the radio. I found a good station and started blasting it. We both awkwardly and loudly sang along.  When we got to the mall, he shut off the car and we walked into the mall. We walked around, buying random stuff, and a long long sleeved shirts for me.

"So... can I take you out sometime? I just realized we haven't been on a real date yet..." he blushed. I smiled.

"Sure." I told him.