Chapter 1

"Get out of the way!" Lance shouted, a broad smile on his face as he sprinted down the hallway. Keith was on his heels and he didn't have time to wait for the other students to move.

"You're dead McClain!" Keith shouted, only a few feet behind the taller boy.

Thinking back, Lance knew he might have gone too far. Dumping industrial sized glue cartons inside of Keith's locker was a bit much. He could recognize that, but it wasn't as if the raven haired boy didn't deserve it.

Last week during gym Keith had replaced Lance's shampoo with glue! Lance just wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine, or rather glue.

He could have spared the books and homework though.

Lance took a sharp left, trying to throw Keith off his trail, but it didn't work. "Don't touch my shampoo next time!" He shouted over his shoulder, trying not to laugh. Laughing would distract him and he knew he'd probably trip over air.

Or he could just run into a door, that'd work to.

A second after he made contact, Keith ran right into his back. They both released groans of pain. The door was quickly shut and they fell forwards onto the ground.

"Get off, mullet!" Lance shouted, trying to scramble onto his own feet.

Once they were both standing, brushing their clothes off, a throat cleared. They both snapped their heads up, realizing that the door they had run into was the principal's, and he didn't look happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Care to explain what you were both doing?" The principal, Mr. Coran, asked them. He was relatively harmless and a kind of strange man, but he could definitely be stern when it came to trouble makers. Keith and Lance, who were in his office frequently, knew this.

"Training for track?" Lance offered, slightly cringing at how bad the excuse was.

"Neither of you are on the track team." Mr. Coran stated bluntly. He was starting to get annoyed with the boys rivalry. It had disturbed more classes than was acceptable, nearly sent a theater up in flames, and gave everyone at last years homecoming dance food poisoning.

"We were planning on trying out this year." Lance said, hoping to weasel his way out of trouble, just this once.

"Nice try. What's your great excuse Keith?" The orange haired principal asked, turning to the other boy.

"Lance dumped glue in my locker. I was gonna give him a black eye." Keith said casually. He didn't really care about getting into trouble, it was kind of his thing. He was either in detention or he hadn't gone to school that day.

"He put glue in my shampoo! Do you have any idea how much damage that did?" Lance said, quick to defend his actions.

"Your hair's fine!" Keith said. He had done something harmless, that only lasted a few minutes. Lance had destroyed everything in his locker. His books, notebooks, homework, backpack, all of it.

"Well-" Lance was cut off by the principal.

"Both of you! Stop yelling!" He yelled. Both boys sulked in their chairs, arms crossed, looking anywhere but each other and Mr. Coran. "You both have detention after school. Now please, get out of my office and try to stay out of it." He said with a tired sigh.

Keith was out of there in two seconds flat, leaving Lance to slowly follow behind him.

"Oh Lance," Mr. Coran called before he could fully make it out of the door. "Are you still planning on staying with Allura and I while your parents are away?" He asked.

Allura was one of Lance's best friends, and Coran happened to be her uncle. Allura's parents had died a few years ago, so she had been living with him ever since.

"I think so, I'll just have to double check with my parents." He said. Coran gave him a nod and Lance left.

Lance made his way to his last class of the day. He was going to be late, but he was usually late anyways.

"Late as always." His teacher said as he walked in. See? Wasn't lying.

"Hey, this time I had a reason. I was talking to the principal." Lance said, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Keith got here on time." The teacher said, pointing to where Keith was seated, a smug smirk on his face.

"I didn't even mention him! How do you know he was in the office with me?" Lance asked back. He knew he probably wouldn't get in trouble for being late, and if he was sent to the office, Coran would let it slide.

"He's always in there with you." They said, turning back to the board as Lance made his way to his seat with a huff.

"What'd you do this time?" Hunk, Lance's best friend, asked. He had an amused smile on his face as he spoke. Lance and Keith's bickering kept school interesting, though he didn't appreciate how much trouble they got themselves into.

"Why is it always my fault?" Lance asked back, dropping his head onto his desk.

"Because it is." Keith said. He sat behind Lance while Hunk sat next to him.

"Shut it mullet, I'm not in the mood." Lance snapped back, not lifting his head. He wanted to go home and sleep, but now he had to stay after for detention.

"That's kind of the point smart one." Keith said, messing with the pencil in his hands. He knew he should be paying attention to the lesson, but bothering Lance was way more fun. Especially since Lance was usually the one bothering him. How the tables had turned.

"I know I'm smart, I don't need you to remind me, though it is appreciated." Lance said back, his voice slightly muffled by his arms that he was laying on.

Keith rolled his eyes at the come back. "Keep telling yourself that. Aren't you failing chemistry?" He asked, knowing that it would get a reaction.

Lance shot up and turned around. "Who told you that?" He hissed.

Keith smirked, but his eyes shifted to Hunk for a seconds, before moving back to Lance. The Cuban boy noticed it though.

"Hunk! I though you were my friend!" Lance said in an overly offended voice. He wasn't actually upset, a little annoyed that Keith knew he was failing a class, but he wasn't mad or anything.

"Sorry, it kind of slipped." Hunk said with a nervous smile.

Lance huffed at the excuse. "When do you guys even talk?" He asked, more rhetorically than anything.

"Lance, I already told you, he's in my culinary class. We're partners." Hunk said, slightly annoyed with Lance's lack of attention span.

"The mullet cooks?" Lance asked, amusement clear in his face and tone.

"What's wrong with cooking?" Hunk asked.

Keith smirked, knowing that Lance wouldn't be able to poke fun at him, at least not with Hunk around.

Lance groaned. "Never mind."

"That's what I thought."