Chapter 3

"You two were left alone for ten minutes."

Both boys snapped their heads to the door of the classroom. Allura was standing there with her hands on her hips. At the sight of her, Lance pushed Keith off of him, taking his seat again. Keith glared at him, but followed suit, picking up his book and continuing to read.

"Oh, did you both decide to grow up?" She asked them, walking in and sitting at her uncle's desk. He was the principal, but also a teacher.

"Lura, not in the mood." Lance said, resting his head on his arms that were placed on the desk.

Her eyes softened slightly as she saw how tired her best friend looked. She knew he wasn't sleeping very well and it hurt her heart that she couldn't help him. "Just nap for the next hour. You're both stuck with me seeing as my uncle is off doing... something or another." She said, not exactly knowing what Coran was getting up to.

Allura was only a student, the same as Lance and Keith, but she was the principal's 'kid', so it wasn't out of the ordinary for her to do stuff like that. It probably broke a lot of rules and maybe even a law or two, but no one seemed to mind. Everyone liked Allura.

"Like hell I'm sleeping here." He mumbled, knowing that if he had a nightmare, he would never hear the end of it from Keith.

"You fell sleep in science." Allura pointed out. She had spoken with Hunk before coming here and he had told her. He didn't know about the nightmares, but Allura did and knew he had to be exhausted in order for him to drift off in class.

"That wasn't on purpose." He said with a huff, still a little upset with himself. It could have ended really badly if he had passed out earlier and had time to get a proper nap.

"Isn't detention supposed to be quiet?" Keith asked, annoyed that their voices kept distracting him from his book.

"Chipper as ever I see." Allura mumbled.

They spent the next hour in silence. Every few minutes or so Lance would drift off, only to jerk himself awake seconds later. It was a little painful for Allura to watch.

Keith kept reading, but he had noticed Lance's actions. He quietly wondered what was up with the taller boy. He was clearly exhausted, so why wouldn't he just sleep while he had the down time?

"Ah, I see you didn't destroy the room or burn the school down. Well done you two, you're free to leave." Coran said, walking back into the room. Detention was supposed to be an hour and a half long, but Coran felt generous on that Friday. It didn't have to do with the fact he couldn't leave until they did. No, not at all.

"Lance, you're still coming over right? Want a ride?" Allura asked, grabbing her pink backpack from behind the desk.

Lance tiredly nodded as he yawned. He needed coffee, stat.

"Coffee?" Allura asked, knowing him so well it was almost like she could read his mind.

"Of course." He said back with a smile.

They picked up some coffee on their way to Allura's house. They both had their licenses, seeing as they were seventeen, but Lance didn't have a car and Allura did.

When they got back to her house, they went straight up to her room. "Are we doing horror or Disney this time?" Allura asked, holding up a few different movies.

Lance, who was already sprawled out on her bed, said, "Disney please, I don't know if I could stomach horror right now."

After deciding on a movie, they went to the kitchen to grab snacks. Then they spent the rest of the night binging old Disney cartoons. Along with Frozen. Of course they watched Frozen.

They both started to nod off after a few movies. Allura and Lance had been friends since they were kids, viewing each other as siblings more than anything else, so their parents didn't mind the sleep overs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The air burned Lance's lungs as he tried to breath. The ash and smoke was to much and he ended up in a coughing fit.

All around him, flames leapt and danced. The blazing fire was swallowing up his room, every inch of it, including his door and window. He had no way out.

The room was hot, so, so hot. Lance was sweating as he started to sob. The ten year old thought he was going to die. He thought he was going to burn alive.

"Lance!" He heard a yell. It was a familiar voice.

"Marco!" He yelled back, knowing that his brother was trying to find him in the strong blaze.

"Lance! C'mon Lance!" He heard again.

"Marco! I can't get out! Marco!" He was yelling in between sobs.

"Lance!"

"Lance!"

"Lance, wake up! Wake up Lance!" Allura's voice finally managed to snap him out of his reoccurring nightmare.

He sat up with a gasp, breathing heavy. He was relieved to find that the air was fresh and clean, not polluted with smoke.

He could feel the tear tracks on his face, cold as the air hit them. Even more so when Allura pulled him into a hug.

He couldn't keep himself together, breaking down on her shoulder. He missed his brother, oh how he missed him. It didn't help that he blamed himself. If he hadn't gotten stuck in the fire, Marco wouldn't have had to go back in to save him. He would still be alive.

"Sh, Lance it's okay. It was just a nightmare. You're okay." Allura said, trying to comfort him. She knew his nightmares and what they were about. Hearing him say Marco in his sleep was enough to clue her in that he had had another one.

It was just a nightmare, he thought to himself, one he couldn't ever wake up from.