•Chapter Nine•

"Listen up brats, I honestly do not know what's going to happen on this mission, but I know damn well that this isn't going to be easy." Levi announced as he fixed his tie.

I was nervous. I might die today. Like, actually get shot or stabbed and die. I was the only doctor and if I got hurt, we were screwed. I'm just stating the obvious. I looked over at the others. They looked completely composed and calm. I mean, it is my first job. I tried focusing on something else, like the music that was playing softly in the car.

"You're not going to die." Reiner told me. I looked up at him and gave him a nervous look. "They're going to be there." Petra told Levi, who just nodded. "Be ready for anything. If your distracted for a second they'll get you. It's just how it goes." Reiner warned me. I nodded quickly and looked out of the car window.

"We're here." Levi announced. I quickly snapped back into reality. I held the bag that contained my medical equipment tightly. I'm not going to screw this up. And if I do, so what? It'll cost my life.

We all exited the car cautiously. I could tell everyone was awaiting for orders from Levi. I scanned the area, checking if something suspicious was going on. I did find it odd that it was quiet..to quiet. I then saw a light in one of the trees. I didn't know who it was pointing to. "Get down!" I yelled. Everyone was quick to react. As everyone was taking cover, the gun went off, nearly missing Levi. I sighed in relief.

"Your quite the observer." Reiner complemented me. I looked at him, surprised. I didn't know either! I just saw the light and for some reason I knew something bad was about to happen.

"Follow my lead. Reiner and Petra will get the things we came for and then we're out." Levi instructed, not taking an eye away from where the gun was fired. "I was surprised you noticed it." Levi muttered. I looked at him and immediately put my eyes on where I thought the shooter was again. "I didn't either." I answered truthfully. "Well, I guess you payed be back. I saved your life, you save mine." Levi got out his gun and aimed it at the person.

Eventually, Reiner and Petra came back with everything. "We got everything. Let's go." Reiner said in a hurry. We all turned to the car, being as cautious as ever still.

Then, Petra screamed bloody murder.

I turned around to see her shirt now covered in blood. Right in the heart. I gasped, rushing over to her. I got my medical equipment out and tried to stop the bleeding. I see Reiner and Levi run past me, chasing the man who stabbed her.

"It's going to be okay.." I assured her. "(Y/N).." Petra spoke soft. This is the first time I've ever heard her speak to me in a normal tone. "don't worry! Everything will be okay!" I tried convincing myself, but I knew where the stab wound was located. "(Y/N)!" She weakly shouted at me, which made me flinch.

Tears were in her eyes, she had the audacity to smile at me. "I'm sorry..for.." she winced in pain. "Everything I've done to you. It was because I was jealous.." she spoke. "I don't care about that! I need you to live!" I let a tear out, not wanting to lose someone I barely got to understand yet. "No doubt..that I won't make it. (Y/N), you're a great doctor..it isn't your fault.." Petra smiled weakly. "The hell with that!" I shouted.

"P-Please..promise me that you'll take care of him.." Petra then didn't move. My eyes widened, "no.." I spoke weakly, doubting what just happened.

"(Y/N), we need to go." Levi shouted. "We can't leave her!" I shouted back. "(Y/N)!" Reiner shouted. I couldn't stop my tears. As much as I wanted to, they didn't. Why was I crying about a woman that hated me?

I then was lifted up to the ground. I tried to break free, but it was no luck. Levi had carried me over his shoulder. I reached out my hand, hoping that Petra would take it, but all she did was lay there, lifeless.

We got in the car and he put me down. I didn't dare to look at anyone. It was my fault. I didn't react in time. I didn't stop the bleeding. I was brought here just to save people from death. I failed. I'm a failure.

I put my knees to my chest and hugged them. I then burrows my face in my arms, making me see nothing but darkness.

No one spoke. No one moved. No one made a sound.

The car was filled with awkwardness and despair. That just made it a hundred times worse.

Once we got back to the quarters I immediately locked myself in my room. I didn't want to speak to anyone. I didn't want to look at anyone.

Nothing. All I wanted to do is hide myself from the world. I failed on my first job. I let someone die. I failed.

People will hate me now. People that were friends with Petra and loved her. I wasn't anything but a bother to her, that was clear. So why am I so sad?

My phone went off countless of times. I knew who it was, but I didn't want to answer. I later on my bed and looked at the ceiling, not wanted to move an inch.

What felt like ever, my tears had stopped, though they stained my cheeks. I turned to the right to see my reflection in the mirror. Looked like I just got pepper sprayed. My eyes were watery and red. I did not look good at all.

But who cares, right?

Exhaustion consumed me. I slowly closed my eyes and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.