686-690

686. Learning is an addiction.
One of the most interesting psychology facts is that you are programmed to look for new information and learn as much as we can, even though there might not be any practical purpose for it. We are always driven to seek information due the feel good hormones released by the neurotransmitter dopamine. This is why we are addicted to social media and instantly jump to Google to learn about whatever pops up in our mind.

687. We spend more money as long as we don’t talk about it or mention it.
When we see signs about dollar figures or actually see the word money we get a bit of anxiety but if the same sign is worded another way that had alluring words we would easily drop our money at that store. It’s less stressful when we see words like great bargain, best buy, etc.

688. Sing the end of a song to get it out of your head.
Very often, we get a song we don’t even like stuck in our heads. There is an easy trick to get rid of the annoyance: listen to the song until the very end to achieve a sense of closure. The reason why this helps is that the so-called “earworm” is on repetitive loop and finishing the song helps you to get rid of it.

689. Exhaling with puffed out cheeks is great way to release stress and to pacify. People often do this after a near mishap.

690. Make a plea to individuals rather than groups.
Research on the bystander effect reveals that people tend to ignore pleas—especially pleas for help—when they are among a group of people. Appealing to five people individually will generally get you better results than directing a single appeal to the entire group. The idea is that people in a group will tend to dismiss you as they will reason that there are other people who could help you, and so they don’t feel personally responsible. If, however, you make a plea to them directly, they will feel more personally responsible and be more likely to help. The point here is that people are generally nice and willing to help you, but social circumstances and pressures can sometimes be strong enough to prevent them from doing so.