Chapter Eight

The Next Morning
7:00 AM
I woke up before Sean and Daniel, like I have been for the past few days, and went to go to my normal things before going downstairs. I bring Mushroom downstairs and see a note on the door from Claire and Stephen.
Morning sleepyheads!
We let you sleep in today while we're at church.
Back by noon for lunch.
See you in a bit,
Love Grandma & Grandpa.
PS: The Christmas tree is perfect! Great job kids!
PSS: Thank you for tidying up a bit.
"Well Mushroom, the house is all ours!" I giggle to Mushroom. She barks in return as I walk to the back door with her. We run around for a bit in the snow for about ten minutes.
"Damn Mushroom...your not tired?" I ask her while breathing heavily. She starts barking in response and I sit in the snow with her.
"Isn't it nice here? It's so pretty!" I say to Mushroom.
"It's you from yesterday.." I hear a voice say.
I look up and see Chris from yesterday.. the incident that happened flashed through my head.
"Hey Chris! I was just taking our dog out, but I got tired! She's full of energy!" I giggle.
"Oh.. can.. I pet her..?" He asks.
The gate separating the houses was short enough for Chris to get his arm to pet Mushroom. I smile while he's petting her.
"She's so cute!" Chris says.
"Yeah, we all love her!" I reply.
"Y/n? Do you know if.. Daniel can come over?" Chris asks me.
"Yeah! I talked to Claire about it yesterday so it's fine! I just need to get him breakfast first, okay?" I say.
Chris nods and we have a awkward silence.
"I'm gonna go inside, Mushroom is probably cold. I'll see you later!" I wave bye. "You should go in too! I don't want you to get sick!"
"Uh.. okay! I'll.. see you later..!" Chris replies and runs to his front door.
I walk back inside and put Mushroom down, and get some cereal and milk for Daniel. I knew he would wake up soon anyway, so it'll be okay. After making two bowls I get Mushroom some fresh food and water, like every morning. I sit down and start to eat.
"Good morning y/n!" I hear a voice coming up to me.
Looking towards the voice, it was Daniel
"Hey bud, I already got your breakfast. Eat up!" I reply. "After your done and you get dressed, I'll let you go to the neighbors, okay?"
Daniels face lights up and he starts to eat a bit faster.
"Do you want to bring Mushroom with?" I ask after Daniel is done eating. "She's already been outside and I fed her.
"Will they let me bring her in the house?" Daniel asks me.
"When you get there, you can ask, and if they don't bring her back, okay?" I reply.
"Okay y/n! Thank you!" Daniel exclaims and hugs me.
Daniel practically runs up the stairs to get dressed and comes back down with his outdoor clothes on, and Mushroom in his arms, along with the lease Claire bought for her. He gives me a thumbs up, and I respond with a thumbs up.
"Go on bud, I'll come get you later." I tell Daniel.
Daniel giggles and waves me goodbye, and runs out the door. I giggle at Daniel and get up from where I was sitting. Finally, I can have some time to myself before Sean gets up. Don't get me wrong, I love everyone here, but I need some time to myself sometimes.
I walk upstairs and get in my bag, I got my cigarettes and lighter out of it, and walk downstairs. I go to the back and hide where no one could really see me, but Chris's family if they tried. I ended up falling asleep back there for an hour. When I woke up I quickly got up and went inside. I go upstairs but no one was there. Shit, I forgot to tell Sean Daniel was going to Chris's house. As I'm walking over there I seen Sean is almost at the door.
"Sean!" I run up behind him and hug him.
"Hey y/n. What are you doing?" Sean asks me.
"Oh I told Daniel he could go to Chris's house, Claire have me the okay last night." I tell him.
"Oh well, I'm still going." Sean says. I nod and follow him.
Sean seemed pissed off, and just walked in their house. When we walk in I see flying toys. Chris and Daniel sitting there, along with Mushroom on Daniels lap. Wait.. why are the toys flying?
"Daniel? What's going on here?" Sean asks him.
"Sean! Y/n! Wait! Don't freak out! I can explain!" Daniel starts freaking out and drops the toys to the ground.
"Here, let me tell them." Chris says, "Sean, y/n, I know it sounds crazy, but I have a superpower! You saw me yesterday. I know you did! I was flying! I can move things, objects, with my mind!"
"Oh! A superpower? Really?" Sean looked pissed off. "Well, that's pretty cool Chris... so you're like a superhero?"
Thank god.. I thought Sean was gonna snap.
"I'm Captain Spirit! I can bend any matter to my will!" Chris exclaims, "But that's my secret identity, so you can't tell anybody! You too y/n"
"Oh, we can keep a secret, Captain Spirit.." Sean says.
"Now you guys are an official member of the Spirit Squad!" Chris exclaims. "If you betray us.. I'll denigrate you! Nah, just kidding! Oh yeah, we need a team signal!"
"Totally!" Daniel says as he gets up.
We all mocked Chris's hand movement, Sean was hesitant.
"I'm gonna be.. Superwolf!" Daniel says.
"I'll be..." I struggle to find a name. "(Enter whatever superhero name you want)!"
Sean looked at me with embarrassment in his eyes.
"Come on Sean! Have a little fun!" I encourage.
"Yeah! What's your superhero name, Sean?" Daniel asks.
"Hmm, how about.. The Silver Runner?" Sean asks us. "Cool, cool right?"
"Not bad." Chris says.
"It's awesome!" I exclaim
"It's true you're a great runner.." Daniel says.
"Okay guys I think were ready to roll!" Chris's Dad comes out of a room. "Uh, excuse me? Who are you?"
"I'm Sean, and this is y/n" Sean replies as we shake Chris's Dads hand.
"Oh yeah.. sorry guys. You're hear for Daniel." Chris's Dad says. "Here let's make it official. I'm Charles Eriksons."
"Nice to meet you." Sean says.
"I hope you know that Daniel and Chris are a dangerous team.." Charles says. "We'd better watch out! Or they're gonna take over the world.."
"Yeah, they share a lot of things." Sean replies. "As thick as theifs."
"Can we go get the Christmas tree now?" Chris asks his Dad. "We're both ready to fly.."
"Yes, yes, yes.. the team has been waiting to long!" Charles exclaims. "You guys should come along too. There is nothing going on over there.."
"Yes!! Can't wait to see all the decorations!" Daniel exclaims and I hear Mushroom bark. "Sean! Y/n! We could buy a Christmas present for Grandma and Grandpa!"
"Uhh.. okay.." Sean gives in. "Sure.. We'll go with you guys."
"Really?" The boys ask together and start to laugh. "Yeah!!"
"Okay team.. I.. give me a time out to go clean up the back seat." Charles explains. "I'll honk when I'm done."
"Ooh! Uh.. can I use the bathroom?" Daniel asks Chris.
"Of course!" Chris replies. "Oh, you'll see my comic books.."
Daniel walks to the bathroom slowly.
"I'm glad you guys are coming with!" Chris exclaims. "Hey you wanna see my toys?"
I zone out playing with Mushroom while Chris and Sean talk. I hear Chris talking about super hero's and supervillains with Sean, Chris seems to be enjoying it, he loves to talk about superhero's obviously. I just stare at them, smiling listening to their conversation.
"Just wait until he can see what Captain Spirit can do now.." Chris smirks.
"Yeah.. about that.. does you Dad know about any of this?" Sean says. "Did he.. see something yesterday?"
"No. He didn't see anything and.. the power didn't work yesterday.. after I fell.." Chris sighs. "I must have been too tired."
"Okay, good.. I mean.. he could be pretty disturbed if he knew." Sean replies, a little panic in his voice.
      "I agree, he shouldn't find out." I add.
"I'm.. definitely not telling Dad. I don't want to freak him out." Chris assures us. "He's worried about other stuff anyway.."
      "Chris.. It's.. none of my business, but.. are you and your Dad okay?" Sean asks.
      "Uh.. what do you mean?" Chris asks, confusion in his voice.
      "I don't know.. Claire seems to.. be worried about you guys, yesterday.. Stephen and her talked about your Dad.. I think they had a talk with him." Sean says.
      "Dad.. just gets carried away sometimes when he drinks too much.." Chris admits. "But.. but we're cool.. no worries. He's just.. he.. just has a hard time being on his own.. that's all."
     "Chris.. I know life can get pretty tough. Trust me. But.. you'll be okay!" Sean encourages Chris. "You're an awesome kid."
     "Yeah Chris, you're an amazing kid!" I add, smiling at both of them.
     "Thanks Sean, thanks y/n. But I don't feel scared anymore. I have the power! And I have Daniel!"
Chris exclaims.
  We hear the horn, signaling that it's time for us to go.
      "There's the signal!" Sean announces. "Come on Daniel!"
     "Hey!" Daniel exclaims while walking out of the bathroom. "Pro tip; don't.. go in there.."
    Chris and I start to giggle at Daniel.
     "Okay squad, lets roll!" Sean announces as he gets up.
   "Hey Daniel, do you have the lease for Mushroom?" I ask him.
     "Oh, yeah! It's in Chris's room." Daniel says as he rushes in Chris's room.
    "Thank you bud, I'll take care of her." I tell him as I connect the lease to Mushrooms collar.
  We all leave the house together, Mushroom trotting along with a big smile on her face. Daniel and Chris get in the back of the truck.
     "Do you need my jacket? I don't want you catching another cold." Sean asks.
     "No.. I'm good! Thanks." Daniel replies.
    "And don't be waving your arms around when I'm driving, okay?" Charles warns.
    Sean giggles, "Yeah! Remember Daniel, don't mess around."
      "All right.. jeez." Daniel sighs.
     "Do you want Mushroom?" I ask Daniel.
     "Yeah! She'll love it back here!" Daniel exclaims and puts her on his lap.
     "Don't let her fall out!" I giggle.
  Sean was already in the truck, I got in shortly after and closed the door. Sean sat in the middle and I sat in the passenger seat.
     "Thanks for clearing the snow from the path! You're awesome!" Charles tells Chris.
     "You're welcome, Dad!" Chris says as we start to drive off.
  I put my head on Sean's shoulder and looks up at him and see him smiling at me. I hear Daniel and Chris giggling as I give Sean a soft smile back and start to blush a bit as we go down the road, off to town.
      We arrive to our location fairly quick, considering how small this town is. We all unload out of the truck quickly.
     "Okay bud, you ready?" Charles asks Chris.
    "Yeaaahhh!" Chris responds.
   Daniel hands me Mushroom, and I gladly take her. Then Sean helps Daniel out the back of the truck, Daniel goes to catch up with Chris big Sean stops him.
     "Hey!" Daniel exclaims.
     "You guys go ahead and we'll come back to meet you, okay?" Sean tells Chris and Charles. "Family meeting."
      "Sure." Charles replies.
    "But-" Daniel complains.
     "Don't get lost!" Charles teases us as he walks away with Chris.
    "Dude! What the fuck are you doing?" Sean asks Daniel. "I can't believe it.. how many times do we have to keep going over the rules?"
     "Don't show the power.. I know." Daniel sighs. "But Chris thinks he can do all this cool stuff, I wish he could. He reminds me of Noah. I just miss having friends Sean."
     "I know man.. but you can't lie to friends about something like this." Sean sighs. "He could get in trouble for thinking he can make shit fly.. or he could get hurt."
     "So you want me to tell the truth?" Daniel asks.
     "Well.. I don't want you to lie anymore." Sean responds. "You don't have to tell him everything, but don't let him think he has magic powers, okay? You swear?"
     "Okay.. I swear." Daniel sighs.
     "Okay, I'm counting on you enano" Sean says.
     "I agree with Sean, Daniel." I say. "He might be a bit upset but it's better to tell him the truth."
     "Okay y/n.." Daniel says with a soft smile. "Can I go see Chris now?"
     "Yeah, lets go. But don't forget what I said." Sean warns.
  Daniel goes to catch up with a Chris. Sean, Mushroom and I go to another part of the Christmas market and found somewhere with some gifts someone was selling.
     "Hi!" I say to the seller.
     "Hello young lady, young man." The man says. "It's good to see some new faces in this old town!"
     "Thanks, it's a super cool market you got here!" Sean exclaims.
     "Small towns are the best for Christmas.." the man says. "Who are you staying with?"
      "Uh.. the Reynolds." Sean replies.
     "Everybody knows Stephen!" The man says. "He was Beavers Creek fire chief years ago.. you're not his grandson, are you?"
     "Yes, I am." Sean says.
    "Oh! That's great! He told me about you, but that was a long time ago." The man says. "It's been a few years, right?"
     "Yeah.. family stuff." Sean responds quietly.
     "I bet!" The man says. "Anyway, look around, and if you find anything you want, I'll give you the special Reynolds discount!"
I see this bear sitting on a chair and pick it up.
"I'm gonna get this!" I tell Sean showing him.
"Oh, uh okay! That's fine." Sean says.
"That's our best seller this year! And of course, you get the friendly price!" The man says. "To celebrate the Reynolds reunion."
"Woah! That's really cool.. thanks!" Sean says.
"Here you go." I give the man the money.
"Thanks, anything else?" The man asks.
"No thanks." Sean replies.
"Have a nice day then." The man says with a big smile.
"You too!" We say at the same time. Sean and I look at each other and start to giggle. We go and sit down on a bench and sit down and Sean starts to draw.
"You bring that thing everywhere, don't ya?" I tease Sean.
Sean smiles and nods back and continues drawing.
"What are you drawing?" Chris comes behind us and asks, looking at the drawing. "Woah! It's soo cool! Are you like a professional?"
"Nah, more like the opposite!" Sean replies, giggling a bit.
"You could draw comic books!" Chris replies. "The awesome adventures of.. Captain Spirit and Superwolf!"
"Pretty rad for a Hollywood name!" Sean exclaim laughing. "Yeah.. I'll think about it."
"Hey.. can you add something funny to your drawing?" Chris asks.
"Funny? Like what?" Sean asks.
"Uh.. I don't know! Something cool!" Chris says.
Sean starts to draw something, concentrating. A few moments later he shows Chris.
"I hope I can draw like you one day!" Chris exclaims.
"I'm sure you will, man!" Sean encourages.
Chris walks away and I continue to look at the drawing.
"That's really good Sean! The zombies make it awesome!" I giggle. "I'll have to make you draw me one day!"
Sean starts to blush as we get up. I look around and see some girl with purple dreads sitting with a guitar, a paper plate for what I'm assuming, money and I sign that says "will eat for food." I walk over with Mushroom and put some money in her paper plate. The girl gives us a soft smile and starts to play her guitar and sing. She was incredible! (The song is above at the top, you can listen to it if you want!) Her song ends and she looks up at Sean and I again.
"Wow you made it all the way though.." she says, she had a bit of a county accent. "Weird, you got a crush on me or something?"
"What? No.. I-I mean.. it was pretty cool, I just." Sean stutters.
"Sean she's just teasing you!" I giggle.
"Yeah, relax dude. It's cool that you listened." The girl says. "People are normally to busy to care."
"You have a great voice!" I exclaim.
"You should be on one of those.. singing shows." Sean says.
"That's kinda nice.." the girl smiles at us, "but it's not really my thing though. I hate TV, and show business shit."
"Well, thanks for the music, and.. goodluck." Sean says.
I nod in agreement and smile at her. We kinda stand there awkwardly.
"Hey, ya miss me already?" The girl teases.
"What? No I mean.." Sean struggles to find words.
"I'm just messing with ya! It's nice to chat for a change." The girl says. "Me and my friends have been.. crashing here for the week. Nobody.. gives a shit about us. Cute dog by the way."
"Oh thank you!" I reply, Mushroom barks and jumps around.
"I can tell you're not from around here." The girl says.
"No, no way. Just.. here for the holidays!" Sean responds.
"Ah! You got family." The girl sighs.
"My grandparents." Sean replies.
"Gotta love the grandparents!" The girl exclaims.
"What about you and.. your friends?" I ask. "Road trip?"
"Not really.." the girl giggles. "We kinda hop from place to place, hunting for.. little jobs."
"Must be a long ride." Sean replies.
"That's okay! We hop on trains." The girl smirks. "Gives us time to rest."
"That.. that sounds wicked." Sean says.
"You have no idea! It's free, and so fucking fun!" The girl exclaims. "Well.. unless you get caught or.. fall, but we've been lucky so far. That's the best, nobody tells us what to do. No corporation owns us."
"And you get to see so many cool places!" I exclaim.
"Exactly! Next stop is Humboldt County, California." The girl laughs.
Sean and I laugh with her.
"Stoner break!" Sean and I exclaim.
"Not even close!" The girl laughs with us. "We actually got work over there!"
"Sean! Y/n! What are you doing?" Daniel runs up to us and picks up Mushroom. "We picked a tree with Chris, it's all crooked, like an old witch!
Daniel looks at the girl. "Oh, hi! Who are you? Your hair looks so cool! Is it a wig?"
"Ah. Well, what do you think?" The girl asks Daniel.
"Hmm.. I don't know! But it's really cool! I'm Daniel!" Daniel exclaims. "What's your name?"
"Hi Daniel!" The girl gives Daniel a high-five. "I'm Cassidy. I dig your superhero outfit."
"I'm in a secret mission with my friend!" Daniel exclaims. "It's very dangerous!"
"I can tell." Cassidy goes along with Daniel. " I hope you get your mission accomplished. And what's your names?"
"I'm y/n! This is Sean!" I exclaim.
"Sorry you went through some shit with the guys." A man comes up to us with a dog, he had some dreads like Cassidy. "How much you make? You ready?" He stops for a moment and looks at us. "Hello pups"
"Ooh, is that your doggie?" Daniel asks and puts Mushroom down. Mushroom does to the dog and wags her tail. "So cool."
"Yeah he's been through a lot, like most of us." The man sighs. "So we adopted him! And he stinks! Yeah you stink and you like it huh?" The man starts to pet his dog.
Cassidy laughs, "He's not the only one."
"Have you checked your hair?" The man asks. "I think it just twitched! You should keep your distance!"
"Hey! Never too careful!" Sean exclaims. "Who knows what may crawl out of there?"
"Ooh the boys join forces!" Cassidy exclaims. "You're already perverting him, Finn."
"Sorry." Finn says sarcastically. "I know suburban boys is your thing."
This heart clenching feeling.. why?
"Are you kidding?" Cassidy exclaims. "You wanna talk about your scoreboard, hotshot?"
"Hey, no worries." Sean says.
"Come on, lets bail." Finn tells Cassidy.
"It was nice meetin ya Sean, Daniel, and y/n. And Mushroom of course!" She gets down and gives Mushroom a quick pat.
"Stay outta trouble kids!" Finn says as they walk away.
"Hope we see you on the rails someday!" Cassidy says.
"Yeah! See ya around!" Sean says.
"Bye guys!" I wave.
"Their doggy was so cute!" Daniel says and picks up Mushroom.
"Hey! Excuse me, dogs have to be on a leash around here." A man says to Finn and Cassidy. "Too many strays."
"Sorry dude, we don't do leashes." Cassidy laughs.
"Well, the city does." The man says. "An unleashed dog is liable to a fine so.."
Cassidy laughs again, "You're gonna fine our dog? Well that's not very nice!"
"Loitering is illegal too." The man says. "And you don't live here, right?"
"Calm down, sweetie." Finn smirks. "We're allowed to visit the Christmas market. Our dogs not gonna eat you! Look at him!"
"You better watch your mouth! You punks are always causing trouble." The man warns. "This is a nice town, okay?"
"Jeez, someone needs to get laid." Cassidy teases.
"He's out of pills." Finn laughs.
"That's it! I'm calling the cops!" The man warns.
"Oh god! He's gonna call the cops on us, Finn!" Cassidy mocks.
"Chill out, we're leaving this shithole anyway." Finn says "you don't even have a Santa for Christ's sake!"
"Merry Christmas!" Cassidy announces as they walk off.
"Fucking parasites.." the man says as they walk away.
"Why did they fight?" Daniel asks us. "I don't get why he yelled like that. We should kick his ass!"
I giggle.
"See the snow on that booth?" I ask Daniel as I take Mushroom from his hands.
"Yeah? What about it?" Daniel teases.
"Maybe this guy needs a shower.." Sean giggles as we stand in front of Daniel. "Ya know? To cool him down.."
Daniel giggles, "You're right. Hold on."
"Careful.." I say.
"This will teach him!" Daniel giggles as snow falls on top of the guy.
"Nice!" I whisper to Daniel.
The man looks at us and I give him a confused look and wave at him. I lead the way to leave as we go to Charles truck.
"Hey, you guys ready to go?" Charles ask us.
"Yeah, all done." Sean says and walks to the passenger seat.
"Cool! Hop in." Charles says.
I get in and hold Mushroom. Once we were all situated I put my head on Sean's shoulder again. I was so tired after all that. Cassidy and Finn were so fun to talk to!
Charles knocks on the back window, "Are you having to much fun back there?"
"Yes!" Chris responds.
"That's what i thought." Charles giggles.
We back out of the Christmas market and drove back home, blushing as I felt Sean's arm go around my shoulder.