Chapter Eleven

Humbolt County California
Two Months After Beaver Creek

I woke up to sun shining through our tent. Sean was next to me sound asleep and Daniel was awake getting dressed.
"Goodmorning Daniel." I yawn.
"Goodmorning y/n. I'm about to go hang out with Finn, wanna come with?" Daniel asks me.
"Yeah. Let me get dressed, I'll be out soon, okay?" I reply.
Daniel nods then leaves the tent swiftly. I proceed to put on my jeans and a hoodie then leave the tent. I walk over to Penny and Ingrid.
"Heey y/n!" Penny calls to me.
"Goodmorning Penny, goodmorning Ingrid." I say.
"Goodmorning y/n." Ingrid says.
"Y/n, get some coffee and sit your ass down!" Penny exclaims.
In the time Sean, Daniel and I have been here, I've learned everyone's personality. Penny is the "loud" one, but I like that about him.
"I would love to sit down and talk but I promised Daniel I would hang out with him this morning." I reply as I pour some coffee in a nearby mug.
"Damn, we always talk in the morning!" Penny sighs. "But go do what you gotta do."
"Thank you, tommorow I will continue my normal routine!" I laugh.
"You bet your ass!" Penny replies laughing.
"Oh, do you guys know where Daniel is?" I ask.
"I seen him with Finn, walking towards the lake." Ingrid says.
"Thanks Ingrid, I'll see you guys later." I smile.
I wave goodbye and walk over to Mushroom laying down. She's been getting along with the other dog here. They're great buds together. I give her some love before I walk over towards the lake.
"Look who it is!" Finn exclaims. "You finally decided to join us! Daniel told me you were coming."
"Hush Finn... I was getting coffee.." I slur my words. "You don't want me to turn into a zombie!"
"Oh no! She's gonna eat us Daniel!" Finn teases Daniel.
"Ahhh!" Daniel joked before bursting out with giggles.
"What are you guys doing this morning?" I ask.
"Target practice!" Daniel answers. "Do you wanna try y/n?"
"Uh.. I've never done this so why not?" I reply.
Daniel hands me the throwing knife and I try at it a few times before making a bullseye.
"Hell yeah!" I exclaim.
"Good job y/n!" Daniel exclaims and gives me a highfive.
"Alright Finn, you go." I say and hand Finn the throwing knife.
"Don't mind if I do." Finn teases and throws the knife a few times.
Finn was able to hit the bullseye then it was Daniel. He was able to hit the bullseye every single time.
"What the fuck man! You're awesome!" Finn exclaims towards Daniel.
"You really are amazing Daniel, I could barely hit the bullseye!" I encourage Daniel.
"Yes! I'm the man!" Daniel tells himself.
"What's up guys?" I hear Sean's voice say, coming up to us. "Morning target practice?"
"Six bullseyes in a row! Kid is a fucking ninja!" Finn exclaims, giving Sean a bro hug. "Hey, we didn't wanna wake your sleepy ass up."
"Yeah, thank you for that." Sean replies. "You okay Daniel? Y/n?"
"Hey." Daniel replies.
"Hey Sean! I'm doing great, how are you?" I ask.
Sean gives me a heartwarming smile in response.
"Seriously, I've never seen anyone throw like that!" Finn continues the conversation.
"Wow, Finn trained you well. Six bullseyes, dude?" Sean asks Daniel.
"Yeah! I got better, lucky." Daniel replies.
"You can't throw a baseball without hitting me in the nuts! How did you learn to aim so good?" Sean asks.
"Not true! Liar." Daniel sighs. "You're the one who sucks at baseball!"
"Yeeahhh.. right." Sean replies.
I could feel the tension in the air as I quietly listened to the conversation, standing there.
"Hey.. wow. What's up with you two?" Finn breaks the argument. "I shoulda let you know, but, but I'm watching him like a hawk. Seriously, much respect. He's like my own blood! Not that I'm as cool as his big bro."
"This is awkward.." I whisper to myself.
"Did you say something y/n?" Sean turned around and asked me.
"Oh!" I snap my head up. "It's good, don't worry about it."
"Yo, Sean! Idea!" Finn exclaims. "I wanna see if Daniel inherited the family blade skills.. from you."
Finn stands infront of Sean with the throwing knife.
"How about a little demo?" Finn teases.
"It was my turn!" Daniel complains.
"Come on.. lets give the man a chance. He can impress y/n over there." Finn winks towards me.
I look at Finn, feeling my face turn red. My hand goes over my face without me realizing it and I look the other way.
"I'm just teasin you!" Finn laughs.
"I-I know." I reply, and look up a bit.
"O-okay. Yeah." Sean says and gets in position to throw the knife.
Sean threw the knife, and hit a bullseye first try.
"Bam! Right between the fucking eyes!" Finn announces, giving Sean a high five. "Damn! Did you guys escape from some circus?"
"That was just luck." Daniel pouts.
"Seriously, that shit was off the chain!" Finn exclaims. "One time, is luck, second time, is skill. So let's see."
Sean goes to throw the knife, as it leaves his hand the knife goes flying to the right, he wasn't aiming there at all.
"Huh..?" I look at the knife, it had to be Daniels power.
"Oh fuck that!" Sean exclaims.
Daniel starts to laugh, "Ha! Missed. See, I rule."
"Sorry Sean, you're not a ninja." Finn says. "But you're still cool, just ask your brother for help next time."
"Yeah. What would I do without him?" Sean says sarcastically, glaring at Daniel.
"Hey! Don't look at me. It's not my fault if you can't throw!" Daniel glares at Sean.
"Whew! After that workout, I need some more fucking Java!" Finn announces.
"Wait! Don't go yet.." Daniel sighs.
Sean was holding Daniel back.
"It's all good Daniel, we can practice later!" Finn smiles. "Yeah if it's cool with your big brother. Love ya man!"
"What now?" Daniel asks.
"You think that shits funny?" Sean asks.
"What shit?" Daniel asks.
"Stop acting stupid." Sean says strictly. "You're pushing it Daniel. You made me miss! In front of Finn! What if he finds out? What then?"
"I'm not stupid. He won't find out!" Daniel sounded annoyed.
"You don't.. know that." Sean sighs. "You're gonna get busted enano. You need to listen to me and y/n."
"Stop calling me that! I'm not a kid anymore!" Daniel snaps.
"Bud.. it's just a nickname.." I sigh, saying this quietly, just enough for them to hear me.
"Daniel, dont.." Sean starts.
"Why? See!" Daniel starts to use his power.
"Stop, Daniel!" Sean exclaims. "Now!"
"Or what?" Daniel says annoyed.
"I said stop, Daniel!" Sean goes to comfort Daniel.
"Don't grab me!" Daniel exclaims and Sean goes flying a few feet.
I almost tripped running to Sean to make sure he was okay.
"Sean! Are you okay?" I ask concerned.
Sean has fear in his face. Daniel came running towards his brother, concern written all over his face.
"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be that hard!" Daniel says.
"I'm okay.. it's fine.." Sean sighs.
I look over at Daniel, he was very upset by what he did.
"Daniel you scared the shit out of me.." I say with a tear in my eye. "I don't want either of you to get hurt."
"Hey.. y/n I'm okay." Sean smiles, he wipes the tear from my eye. "Don't worry."
"I'm sorry for scaring you y/n.." Daniel looked at me.
"It's okay Daniel.." I sigh.
"I told you, you're good. But you don't have control over your power yet." Sean starts up the conversation again.
"Y-yeah.. but we stopped training since we got here." Daniel starts to tear up. "You'd rather hang o out with your new friends.. y/n makes time for me."
"Well.. because we need to fit in if we wanna keep that job, okay?" Sean sighs. "But you're right.. let's um.. do some training later today. Cool?"
"Yeah, lets go by the lake again." Daniel says. "But Sean, how long are we gonna stay here? It's been like a month!"
"I know but.. we need more money to get to Puerto Lobos. Remember?" Sean asks.
"It's gonna take forever!" Daniel complains. "We should try and find mom, since we have her letter now!"
"We already had this conversation. Sorry Daniel.. but we can't." Sean sighs. "We don't even know where Karen really is. And we can't risk getting caught while looking for her. She's.. one of the reasons we're out here. That's why we're going down to Mexico."
"How come I never get to choose? I'm the one with the power." Daniel looks at us with anger.
"I hear you, it's not fair. But you're my brother, and y/n and I's responsibility." Sean says. "We have to take care of you."
"I know. But I'm not gonna be a kid forever." Daniel continues to complain. "Finn treats me like an adult, he understands.."
Honk! Honk!
"Uh oh.. Big Joe!" Daniel sighs.
"Oh, hey, you don't wear your watch anymore?" Sean asks.
"What? Oh.. Nah, I put this on instead." Daniel shows us the bracelet. "Finn gave it to me, pretty cool, huh?"
"Yeah.. pretty cool." Sean sighs.
Honk!
We all start to get up and Daniel walks towards the honk.
"Hey, Daniel.. remember what I said. Low profile." Sean warns.
"Yeah.." Daniel says as he walks off.
"Sean? What's going on with Daniel?" I whisper to Sean as we slowly walk behind Daniel.
"I'm not sure.." Sean sighs.
"Everything will be okay. I'm sure of it." I smile and take his hand.
"Thank you y/n. You're so sweet." Sean smiles and squeezes my hand before letting go as we were heading towards the truck.
"Sit here my man, I need a bodyguard like you." Finns tells Daniel, he hops into the back and sits next to Finn.
"Cool, tell Sean to get me a knife." Daniel sighs.
Sean goes and sits next to Anders, and I sit beside him. I see Cassidy start running up.
"Mind if I sit here?" Cassidy asks me.
"Go for it!" I giggle.
Cassidy looks over at Sean.
"Why so serious?" Cassidy asks him.
"Uh.. nothing! Just, thinking." Sean says.
"Cool." Cassidy says.
Over the past two months, Cassidy has been a little touchy with Sean, and I'm a little jealous. She has the confidence I strive for. I want to tell Sean how I feel.. soon. I just need to find the perfect time. I haven't felt this way since her.
"Y/n? Helllooo??" Cassidy has her hand going over my face.
"Huh?" I look at her.
"I thought you weren't alive for a second! You weren't listening to anything I was sayin." Cassidy laughs.
"Oh.. my bad. I'm just tired." I fake smiled at Cassidy.
I continue to sit back and think of all sorts of things, but is shortly snapped out of it.
"Hey! How about you shut the fuck up back there? I can't hear my music!" Big Joe exclaims.
"Guess what? He was on his secret sat phone again this morning. Speaking Romanian and shit!" Finn quietly announces to us.
"Oh no. Here it comes." Cassidy sighs.
"He's Agent 420, and he has a license to kush!" Finn says.
"What's that?" Daniel laughs.
"I told you a thousand times, Big Joe is a clone!" Penny exclaims.
"Maybe he's just the factory reject!" Cassidy exclaims.
"Bigfoot!" Sean says. "Think about it, Big Joe; Bigfoot!"
"Woah.. you might me onto something!" Finn gasps. "They both smell."
"Stinky, BigJoeFoot!" Daniel laughs.
"Shit, you're all in love with Big Joe." Hannah says. "You can't stop talking about him I swear."
"But his ass is too big!" Daniel exclaims towards Finn.
Finn and Daniel start to laugh.
"Right on!!" Finn exclaims.
Everyone starts to join in except Jake.
"Hey, pipe down back there! Enjoy the scenery for a change for fucks sake!" Big Joe exclaims.
Everyone gets quiet, and I took Big Joes advice and watched the sky for a bit til we arrived.
Sean, Cassidy, Daniel and I start to walk towards the farm.
"I'm soo tired." Cassidy complains.
Out of the corner of my eye I see Big Joe smack Cassidy in the back of the head.
"Stop your bitchin' or get out of here!" Big Joe says.
"Hey! Jeez.." Cassidy sighs.
Big Joe looks at all Cassidy, giving us a glare.
"Come on.. that's not cool." Sean says.
"I agree." I add.
"Uh, are you really shit talking me, Cheech?" Big Joe pushes Sean.
"Leave him alone!" I exclaim.
Big Joe gives me a glare and walks over to mess with me too.
"You fuckin with me to missy?" Big Joe tries for push me, but I barely budge.
"Forget it guys, seriously." Cassidy comes between us. "We're late."
Big Joe gives us one last glare before walking off. I seen he had his gun on him.
"Hey, you're gonna get us kicked out of here." Cassidy looks at us.
"Well, I'm not gonna let him fuck with you guys like that." I sigh.
We all start walking in towards the group. Passing weed trees everywhere.
"Oh thanks for coming." Merrill says. "I'm not in your way right?"
"N-no we're sorry." Cassidy says. "We-we just-" Cassidy starts.
"I don't pay you to be late. Next time you won't be." Merrill says. "Listen up! I need two teams today. Finn, Penny, Anders, and what's your name will clean up from the storm. The rest of you get to sit and trim."
I assumed "what's your name" was Jake.
Everyone that has the trim starts to sigh.
"Like I wanna pick up and bunch of shit all over the camp!" Penny says.
"Hey! You wanna trade places?" Daniel asks Penny.
"Shut up Daniel." Sean tells Daniel.
"You got a deal, kid." Penny says.
"Yeah!" Daniel exclaims. "I get to go outside!"
"Hey!" Merrill interrupts them and gives a quick look at all of us. "You guys still don't get it. This is work not a goddamn summer camp. You're not special, there are dozen of hippies like yourself begging for work in the next town!"
"Kid, your dad should teach you to shut your mouth." Merrill infront of Daniel.
I put my hand on Daniels shoulder once Merrill is looking away.
"It's okay Daniel." I whisper in his ear.
"Finn, you better watch your guys." Merrill warns Finn.
"Not a problem boss! No problem." Finn says.
"Okay so move it!" Merrill says.
"Yeah! You heard the man!" Big Joe adds. "Stop fucking around and get with your teams! All right?"
We all start to walk away before Sean and I are stopped by Merrill.
"We're all gonna talk." Merrill says as we watch everyone walk off.
"Remember, I'm only letting you guys work here because Finn put in a good word." Merrill tells us.
"I know.. we really appreciate it. Thanks-" Sean says.
"Yeah yeah, no ass kissing please. Just watch out." Merrill warns. "Next time your brother fucks up, you're all three gone, ASAP. Look, I'm not trying to bust your balls but this is a pot farm and he's a fucking kid. You hear me?"
"Got it." I say. "We'll keep him out of the way."
"You better." Merrill warns. "This business has enough shit already."
"Right, we're gonna go check on him, then." Sean says quietly.
"How old is he anyway?" Merrill asks us.
"Oh, uh, nine. He's nine years old." Sean answers.
"Jeez. Tough age, gotta keep a close eye on him." Merrill says.
"Yeah, not an easy thing to do out here." Sean responds.
"I know. Ain't no place for children. That's why I keep mine in New York." Merrill sighs.
"Isn't that.. hard?" I ask.
"Course it is. But it won't be forever." Merrill says.
"Okay, I'm not y'all's buddy, get the fuck outta here, you got a lot of work to do today."
"All right, uh, thank you!" Sean says awkwardly.
We walk towards the house and I look over and Sean and pat his back.
"I thought we were toast!" I whisper on Sean's ear once Merrill a distance away from us.
Sean gives me a pat on the back before we walk in.
"Hey, y'all okay?" Cassidy asks us.
"Now for the fun part, I need this all done by tonight." Merrill says. "No excuses. So, get on it!"
"We all good?" Merrill asks Big Joe.
"Finn is playing boss with his crew." Big Joe replies. "I told em they'd all work late if they didn't finish on time."
"I hope so." Merrill says. "Okay, I gotta make some calls."
"Well? What are ya waitin' for?" Big Joe asks us. "You know the drill!"
Daniel sighs as he grabs his scissors.
"What's wrong bud?" I ask him.
"This sucks ass.." Daniel sighs. "I feel like I'm in prison."
"I hear you bud." I sigh as I pick up my scissors.
"Me too, but we're not. This is just our job man. We have to follow Merrill's rules, for now, especially you.
"What do you mean?" Daniel asks annoyed.
"He's not into having kids around here. So don't give him an excuse to get pissed off." Sean replies.
"You never know with Merrill, he can he cool, but it's scary when he loses his shit." Cassidy tells us.
"Okay, jeez, I'm not doing anything bad.." Daniel sighs.
"Look, I know you guys are having the time of your life here, but I am not." Big Joe announces. "So shut your mouth, and give me some quiet, for fucks sake! Okay?"
"Why do you stick around then?" Cassidy asks.
"None of your damn business." Big Joe replies. "But I'd be long gone if I had the chance, trust me."
I sigh under my breath and start to trim the weed, one by one. Everyone was having a little conversations, but I didn't join. I was focusing on trimming til I hear Daniel.
"Ouch!" He exclaims. "Shit.."
"Ooh.. you okay sweetie?" Ingrid asks.
"It's okay, you're doing fine. Just, slow down if you need too." Sean comforts Daniel.
"I know.. I will. Thanks Sean." Daniel says.
"You're doing great Daniel." I smile.
"Thanks y/n, you too." Daniel smiles back.
I continue to trim and trim for what felt like forever while Cassidy was complaining and arguing with Hannah, then Big Joe.
"Can we chill out?" I snap. "I just wanna get this done, okay?"
They look at me kinda shocked.
"My bad y/n.. we know we've pissed you off when you snap." Cassidy laughs.
"My bad, I just wanna get this over with." I sigh and continue to work.
I didn't notice Big Joe went out, but he returned to the room.
"Fuck this shit.." Big Joe says.
"Hannah.. sorry." Cassidy sighs.
"I know.. hey I don't wanna fight. Been a long crappy week." Hannah replies.
"Just keep it down in here, okay?" Big Joe orders.
We continue our work, the sound of scissors snipping ringing through my ears.
Once we were done and got back to camp I seen Sean sitting there looking at his hands.
"Sore hands?" I ask.
Sean nods. I take his hands slowly and softly kiss them.
"You'll be okay." I smile.
I notice Sean blushing as Finn looks at us.
"Two love birds at it again!" Finn laughs.
"Haha, you're funny Finn!" I sarcastically announce to him.
Sean and I walk off of the truck and walk with Finn back to camp.
"Later, Big Joe!" Finn says, flipping off the truck as it drove off. "Smile, asshole."
"So how was work today, love birds?" Finn asks.
"When are you gonna quit with that?" I giggle. "But it was fine, how about you Sean?"
"I had a good day. Loved the Jerry Springer moment when Hannah and Cassidy started picking on eachother." Sean says.
"Yeah.." Finn laughs. "They love to start shit with eachother, then get high. Short term memory loss."
"How was your day?" I ask. "Did you have fun outside?"
"Nope, picked up branches and shit, got covered in mud. Would not recommend!" Finn sighs.
"Still sounds better than sitting on your ass all day.." Sean says.
"Totally agree." I add.
"I feel you guys, as always. "That's why you guys are such a good fit to the family." Finn smiles.
"You totally hooked us up, a job, cash, friends, safety." Sean at Finn.
"Sean, everyone is cool with you three. Daniel is yalls secret weapon!" Finn exclaims.
"I don't know.. he's way to young for this bullshit." Sean sighs.
"You gotta be zen about this, the more you try to control him, the less you have, it's deep, huh?" Finn says. "Swear, he acts just like me. That's how I know he's smart. He's also got a kick ass hermono. Yeah, my brothers were like that."
"So, what's your story?" Sean asks. "Um, I mean, you don't have to tell us.."
"Yeah, I was pretty lucky. My parents were okay. I had three big brothers who spoiled me." Finn says.
"Aww you were the little bother!" I laugh.
"Like Daniel, but my family was kinda.. messed up." Finn sighs. "My Dad was like a front for hot cars, steal strip and sell em. My brothers and I helped him.. you know, typical shit. Until we got busted. Fucking feds. Wanted me and my brothers to testify, but my Dad narced on us instead."
"Damn Finn, that.. sucks." Sean sighs.
"I'm sorry about that." I comfort Finn.
"What happened?" Sean asks.
"I went to jail. When I got out I was like, fuck everybody. So I hit the road, Jack. Anyways, I found a cooler family out here." Finn smiles.
We start walking back to camp, and it was our day to do chores.
    "Y/n!" Cassidy calls as we get back.
  I slowly walk to her, Sean walking beside me.
    "Oh, Sean I wanted to talk to y/n by ourselves." Cassidy admits.
    "Damn y/n, you're gonna bail on chores today?" Sean teases.
    "Let the girl live!" Cassidy laughs. "She helps all the time, you can do it today."
    "Fine.." Sean sighs and walks away.
    "So.. what did you need?" I ask awkwardly.
    "I'm just gonna be upfront.." Cassidy says and motions me to get closer. "Do you like Sean?"
  Fuck. Me.
   "Um.." I could feel my face burning already.
    "I'm just askin! If you do I'll stay outta the way, I notice how you get when I'm around." Cassidy says. 
    "I-.. yes." I blurt. I notice what I said and cover my mouth.
  Cassidy just smiles at me.
   "Well, thanks for lettin me know." Cassidy smiles. "I won't say nothin' don't worry. I want you to tell him at your own time."
    "Than-thank you Cassidy." I smile at her.
   "I'll be routing for you! I can be your wingwoman!" Cassidy laughs.
   I start to giggle with her for a moment.
    "Well.. To be honest with you.. I was jealous of your confidence. I've always been awkward." I admit.
   "Girl! You are down the way you are. I can tell Sean likes you. The way he looks at you when your not paying attention is obvious he likes you!" Cassidy exclaims.
    Cassidy continues to hype me up til she goes silent and points behind me.
    "Y/n, are you coming with me and Daniel?" Sean asks.
    "Oh, yeah." I smile. "Bye Cassidy!"
    "See y'all later!" Cassidy winks at me.
   Sean and I walk towards the lake to see Daniel waiting, skipping stones with his power.
    "Sweet, but you can you do it without your power?" Sean teases. 
    "Oh yeah, I can do better with my own skills now." Daniel replies. "Next level."
    "Onward. Ready to rumble?" Sean asks.
    "I am soo ready!" Daniel smiles.
    "Let's start with our team howl!" Sean exclaims. " ooowww!"
    "Owww!" Daniel and I chime in.
    "Yeah, we still sound okay. Now, lets do this! Come on!" Daniel smiles.
    "Hold up, to many people over there, let's hit the other side." Sean says.
   We walk over to a fallen tree trunk that's blocking the other side.
    "Hey, can you move that tree trunk?" Sean asks.
    "Duh!" Daniel proceeds to lift it up.
  Sean lets me go first, then as he goes Daniel goes to "drop" the trunk.
    "Hey!" Sean screams.
   "Ha ha ha!!" Daniel laughs. "Your face! Come on I wasn't gonna drop it."
   "Daniel!" I exclaim, holding my chest. "You almost gave me a heart attack!"
    "Sorry y/n.." Daniel sighs.
   "Very.. funny man.." Sean sighs as we walk towards the other side.
    Sean and Daniel do some quick training with small things as I stand back and watch.
    "That was some next level shit, Daniel!"Sean exclaims.
    "Thanks.. I've been.. training on my own sometimes." Daniel admits.
    "I know I haven't been around a lot lately." Sean sighs. "You didn't tell anyone, did you?"
    "No way! Why would I?" Daniel asks.
   "Not even Finn?" Sean asks.
    "No!" Daniel says annoyed. "Jeez, you don't even trust me!"
   "Daniel.. he's just worried." I join the conversation, trying to calm it down.
    "Whatever.." Daniel sighs.
    "What's wrong with you, man?" Sean asks concerned. "I don't like this new emo-Daniel. You keep throwing attitude at us for no reason.. sick of it. Am I a bad big brother because I hang out with other people?"
   "You're always with them!" Daniel exclaims. "That sucks.. even y/n can make time!"
    "Oh, come on Daniel.." Sean sighs.
    "Bet you don't even want me around anymore!" Daniel barked.
    "Don't say that, you know it's always us three, enano." Sean tries to calm him down.
   "I mean.. never mind." Daniel sighs.
    "That's it, enough! Your being a brat." Sean says. "Can't say anything without you having a shit fit! We're family!"
   Daniel starts walking towards the lake. I go to Sean's side and hold his hand for comfort.
    "We still have a long way to go." Sean says to Daniel. "And we have to go together, right? I know it sucks, but you have to grow up now."
   I look at Sean in shock. He gives me a quick glance and we look back at Daniel. Daniel takes out his hand and brings a tree trunk out, the size of the giant redwoods.
    "What the fuck?" Sean exclaims. "Daniel stop it!"
    "Daniel please stop!" I exclaim.
    "Stop it Daniel!" Sean screams. "NOW!"
Daniel looks at us, I look at him, horror spreader across my face, tears running down my eyes. After about ten seconds, he drops it, water splashing.
   Daniel walks off past us.
      "I'm not a kid, anymore."