Chapter Eighteen

"Y/n, when did you leave Arcadia?" David asks.
"After the huge storm happened, I went to Two Whales to see if I could find anyone.. but all I found was Warren, Frank, and Joyce gone.. dead." I say.
"Wow.. I'm sorry you had to see that y/n." David says.
"It's fine. I want to hear about Max and Chloe." I say. "Sean can hear about them too."
"That sounds nice." Sean smiles and wraps an arm around me.
"Oh.. well before Joyce died.. we never got along, she was angry, and I was stupid. We were like, oil and water. And she was always starting shit." David says.
"I guess that's hard for a kid to get a new father." Sean says.
"Especially one like me.. I just had no clue how to deal with her. Wish I did.. but we eventually made our peace." David admits. "Anyway, can't go back.."
"Nope.." Sean sighs. "Thanks for that David."
"Better start my delivery now!" David says.
"David.. do you know when I'll be able to talk to them..?" I ask.
"Soon, very soon." David says. "Stop by my trailer in a bit."
"Alright..!" I smile.
"Catch ya later!" David says, and walks to his trailer.
"Okay.. time out!" Karen says. "Oh my god, I'm gonna melt!"
"That was awesome, Mom!" Daniel exclaims.
"Now I know why they don't play baseball in the desert.." Karen says.
"You throw way better than Sean!" Daniel giggles.
"We're not done out here yet.." Karen says. "Let's get this food inside before it melts."
"No problem!" Daniel says for all of us before we grab a bag.
"She is so cool, don't ya think?" Daniel asks.
"Joan is so cool! Stanley is so cool! The heat is so cool!" Sean mocks. "You're way to easy bro."
"Oh well, can't help it if I like Karen." Daniel says.
We bring the groceries in and go outside with Karen and sit with her, I see Mushroom running up to us and I pick her up.
"I have to admit.. I do miss that Pacific Northwest weather.. sometimes.." Karen says.
"Yeah, I bet.." Sean says.
"You've been here for over a month now, what do you think of our little oasis?" Karen asks.
"Everybody's very cool, and way different. I can't believe nobody is freaking out about Daniels power." Sean admits.
"Me too, it's weird being able to be so open about it with more than just us around." I say.
"Well, Sean, y/n, it's still hard for me to wrap my head around it, but people here are not gonna get in your space. They have their own past, too." Karen admits. "That's why people come here from all over the country.. for their own reasons. Not perfect, but it works."
"It is so peaceful out here. Guess that's what everybody's looking for.. peace." Sean says.
"You're probably right, yes. I still feel like we're really privileged out here.. there's bad shit going on in this desert." Karen says.
"Yeah, I don't think you can ever get away from everything.." Sean admits.
"You can't escape reality, even here.. we just live slightly apart from it." Karen says.
"So.. how did you end up here?" Sean asks. "This place is not on the map.."
"Like most of us, I was first brought here by someone. Maggie. After I failed to make it in New York, I was lucky enough to meet her down in Florida. She's.. had a tough life. This place was her getaway.." Karen admits. "She's long gone now, but her name is still written all over this place."
"Well, thanks for bringing us here." Sean says.
"Thank you Karen, you reunited someone from my past for me." I smile.
"Oh Sean, y/n, I'm glad I was able to help you." Karen says. "Oh, by the way, can you grab your evil little bro so we can talk?"
"Is everything okay?" Sean asks.
"Yeah, I just thought we could spend this day together. Just the four of us." Karen says.
Sean pulls out his walkie talkie to get Daniel.
"Big Brother to Superwolf, we need you at Karen's trailer. Copy?" Sean says.
"Sure! I mean, 10-4!" Daniel says.
We sit quietly til Daniel comes running up to us.
"Hola!" Daniel says.
"Hola! compadre.. how about a trek around the canyon today?" Karen suggests. "You in?"
"Totally!" Daniel says.
"Let's pack then." Karen says.
"We should have camped near that little creak! It was so perfect.." Sean says.
"Nah, you'll need a good nights sleep after all this." Karen says. "And the car is just half a mile down the path."
"This place makes for a pretty cool bedroom though." Sean says.
"Man.. I'm beat!" Daniel announces
"Aww.. sorry. Just got one last thing I want to show you guys." Karen says.
"I can't get enough of this place.." Sean says.
"It's nice here, don't you think Mushroom?" I ask.
*ruff!*
"Come on Daniel, give me your hand!" Karen says.
"Slow down Mom! You walk to fast!" Daniel exclaims.
"More walk, less talk. Then you'll pass me up." Karen says.
We arrived at the place we camped before.
"I love to come here to get away from.. away." Karen says.
"I bet." Sean says.
"It's the best spot!" Daniel smiles.
"Let's sit down." Karen says.
We all sat down, practically at the same time. I put Mushroom on my lap and laid my head on Sean and held his hand.
"So, hey.. I do appreciate that you guys stuck around for so long.. thank you." Karen says.
"You actually helped us. Gave us a place to recharge and lay low." Sean says.
"No kidding, I was so beat down after.. Haven Point." Daniel says.
"I know, this is the best place to take some time for yourself. You don't get that chance very often in life." Karen says. "Just know, I love the three of you so much.. and I'm proud of who you are.. and where you're going."
"Karen, be honest.. do you think we'll make it to Mexico?" Sean asks.
"You made it this far, going through hell, I hope so, Sean. You three deserve it." Karen smiles. "But.. I have to be upfront with the three of you. What happened in Haven Point is catching up on us.."
"Huh? What do you mean?" Daniel asks.
"When we were in town, we saw some stories in the papers.. the feds are definitely tracking us down in the region.." Karen sighs.
"Shit.." Sean sighs.
"And they'll find us." Karen admits.
"Well.. figures.. this couldn't last forever.." Sean sighs.
"Damn.. I was hoping to stay here longer with you guys.." I sigh, wiping a tear away.
"So.. this is it..?" Daniel asks.
"Si, enano.." Sean sighs. "We'll leave tomorrow.."
"Can you hand me that bag, y/n?" Karen asks.
"Yeah.." I say, giving the bag to Karen with my free hand.
Karen stands up and brings out some sort of lantern out of the bag.
"That's why I brought you back out here.. I made these for the 4th of July.. but this is better." Karen says.
"Ooo! I love those things!" Daniel exclaims.
Karen starts to pass us the lanterns to Sean. and we stand up, I put Mushroom on the ground near me. Sean lights them for us and we hold them til all of them are lit.
"Wooah! Awesome!" Daniel smiles.
"Cool, lets light up the sky." Karen smiles.
"Wow..." I gaze.
Each one of us hold one, and let it go. Watching it fly up to the dark blue sky. Daniel uses his power to fly them around us, and lets them go. We slowly watch them leave our sight, truly an amazing view.
We sit quietly the next morning to eat our breakfast.
"Are you guys all set up to leave?" Karen asks.
"No.. sucks we have to leave again.. why can't everybody leave us alone?" Daniel snaps.
"Oh, honey.." Karen hugs Daniel.
"How far is the boarder?" Sean asks.
"Not that far.. maybe a five or six hours drive." Karen responds. "It won't be easy crossing that boarder.. so I'm gonna give you a head start from the police."
"Wait.. how?" Daniel asks.
"What's your plan?" Sean asks.
"The cops are after me now too for what happened in Nevada, so they can catch me instead of you. Fair trade." Karen says.
"No fucking way, Karen." I tell her.
"That's bullshit, Mom! Don't give up! Don't!" Daniel exclaims.
"It's not about me right now. We need to get your asses to Puerto Lobos." Karen says.
"You don't have to do this, Karen.." Sean says.
"I let you guys down before.. not this time." Karen says. "I knew what I was doing when I came to Haven Point looking for your brother. I felt it was the right thing to do, and I feel the same today. I tried to live by my own rules, no matter what. I don't expect you guys to be like me.. but try to stay true to yourselves. This is your life. Don't let anybody get in the way."
"Fuck the rules, we'll do whatever we can to survive.. that's fair." Sean says.
"Yes it is. You took care of Daniel all the from Seattle to Arizona.. nobody could ask for a better brother.. or son." Karen smiles. "Okay.. this is the last round up."
"Wait! Let me say bye to Joan." Daniel says.
"All right.. I'm gonna go do one last check up on the truck before you hit it." Karen says. "And don't forget what we talked about.. it's your life, Sean. Uh.. you guys should go see David, he has something for you."
"Okay.." Sean says.
"I needed to say goodbye to him anyway.. and I wanted to talk to Max and Chloe if I can.." I sigh.
Sean and I walk into the trailer and put our dishes away.
"Should I write something to Karen?" Sean asks me.
"Yes." I reply. "Then we should go to David's.. will you stay with me for the phone call? I haven't talked to Max or Chloe in a long time.."
"Of course." Sean smiles and starts to write.
I wait for him to write the letter to Karen. It took some time but Sean finished.
"Are you ready?" I ask.
Sean nods his head, and we walk over to David's trailer.
*knock* *knock*
"Sean! Y/n!" David smiles.
"Hey, Karen said you wanted to see us?" Sean says.
"Yeah, but go grab that police scanner inside first, I gotta put these new plates on the car." David says. "Y/n, I got a picture in there, you should look at it."
"Sure, I'm on it." Sean says.
"Okay!" I smile.
"I'll join you when I'm done." David says.
Sean and I walk into the trailer and I start to look around.
"Wow.. everything is like the same." I smile. "He has so much stuff from Arcadia. Sean! Look, this is Joyce, and Chloe."
"Wow, time has taken a serious tool on him." Sean says.
"This is amazing to look at this picture." I smile.
"Who are these people?" Sean asks me.
I walk over to him and see a picture of Max and Chloe.
"Wow.." I gasp. "Max and Chloe look amazing."
"That's them?" Sean asks.
I nod and look at the picture for what feels like forever.
"Was Two Whales a good place?" Sean asks.
"Oh my yes.." I smile. "It was the best food place in Arcadia Bay. Joyce worked there."
"So.. how does this work?" Sean asks.
"Well, lets just try." I smile.
Sean and I start messing with the police scanner and we finally get the right channel.
"Here we go!" I exclaim.
"Let's go outside then." Sean says.
Sean and I go outside and sit on the table with a map on it, and start to look at it.
"Your moms car is all ready to roll. Did you get the police scanner?" David asks.
"Yep, and we found the police frequently." Sean says.
"How about that! Good job!" David smiles. "Now.. you'll always wanna know what they're up to.. no.. surprises on your way to the border. Alright, this is the faster route.. when you get there, cross between these two stations.. now, you have to exit the main road and drive through the desert for a while, but Karen's car should be okay. You got all that?"
"Hmm. Sure, think so.." Sean says.
"Sean, you have to know. The police are on your ass.. you only get one chance here. I'm not trying to be a dick.. just honest." David says.
"I know David, thanks." Sean smiles.
"Here, have a seat." David says. "I don't mean to order you around, bad habits die hard. And yes, I was suspicious when Karen showed up with you three.. without knowing who y/n actually was. But after watching you guys and your little brother for a while.. I think I get what you're going through. When our town was destroyed by that hurricane, my step daughter and her friend were among the only survivors. We lost everyone else."
I felt a tear go down my face while David was talking to Sean about this.
"Jeez.. I'm sorry." Sean says.
"I use to hate them for running away, they hit the road straight away, never to look back, while I was trying to rebuild." David said.
"So.. why did you come here in the end?" Sean asks.
"I had to. Arcadia Bay would have been my grave. I met Steve, he owns the house behind Stanley and Arther's. He'd lost relatives in the storm too. Saw I was in a really bad shape. We became friends, and he told me about this place. How I could start fresh here. He was right. I know that moving on is a tough process, no matter the situation. Sean, y/n, I'm gonna do everything I can to help you get out of here. That's my duty now. But, I wanna be straight up with you, okay?"
"Yeah, of course." Sean says.
"I know you guys got screwed.. that you think there is no other way out. And you're neck-deep in trouble all right. But you, y/n and Daniel can't just hide out forever. Is that how you see yourself in.. ten years? You're still young, I bet they'd be lenient if.. you step up and face the law." David said.
"We've come to far now. We just want a new life.. that's it." Sean says.
"Me too.. with you and Daniel in it." I smile.
"I understand, I do. I-I'm trying to.. be the adult. You're too young to be dealing with all this.. and.. Daniel is growing up fast.. too fast." David says.
"That's what I'm worried about." Sean admits.
"You made it here, so I know you're on the right path.." David says.
*ring*
"Oh.. uh.. it's Chloe." David says.
"I'm nervous.." I say.
"Hey, sweetie!" David says. "What's up?"
David talked on the phone for a bit.
"I have someone that wants to talk to you." David says, looking at me.
"Sean I'm really nervous.." I whisper.
"Don't worry, I'm right here." Sean whispers back and takes my hand.
"Here's the phone." David says, handing me the phone.
"Hello?" A voice asks.
"Hello." I smile.
"No way... Max!" Chloes voice exclaims. "It's y/n!"
"Hey Chloe, how are you?" I ask, tears running down my face.
"I'm.. I'm great! What.." Chloe gasps. "We thought you were.."
"I know. Don't apologize. I'm safe." I giggle. "It's so nice hearing your voice again.."
"I know.. oh my god!" Chloe exclaims. "Max! Say hi!"
"Is that really?" I hear Max say.
"Hey Max!" I exclaim. "I missed you guys.."
"We miss you too y/n.. I'm so sorry." Max says.
"Don't apologize please." I say. "I just want to say I love and miss you guys."
"We love and miss you too, so much y/n." Chloe says. "Where are you going? What's your life been up to?"
"I'm with my boyfriend and his brother, we're going.. somewhere. I can't say over phone." I say.
"A boyfriend? Aww y/n is all grown up!" Chloe giggles.
"Hush! I know we need to leave soon, I'll have David give me your number, and as soon as I can I'll get in touch." I smile.
"Alright, y/n. We're so glad to to hear you're safe, call us as soon as you can." Chloe says.
"I love you guys." I smile.
"I love you too!" Max and Chloe say the same time.
"Goodbye, talk soon." I smile.
I hang up the phone and give it to David.
"Thank you, David." I smile through my happy tears. "Can you write down their number and give it to me please?"
"Yes, hold on." David says, and goes into his trailer, a few moments later he brings out a paper.
"Here you go." David smiles. "I put my number too."
"Thank you so much David, I'll talk soon. It was great to see you again." I smile and give David a hug.
"I'm happy for you, y/n." Sean smiles.
"Thank you, Sean. I love you." I smile.
"I love you too, y/n." Sean says and we share a kiss.
Sean and I walk to Karen at the car.
"Hey." Sean says. "Need any help?"
"Oh! Just checking out the levels and cleaning up the filters." Karen says.
"I didn't know you were such a gear head." Sean says.
"Oh, Sean, this is just basic, and I may not be a pro like your father was, but I got some solid skills!" Karen smiles.
"I have to, out here." Karen says.
"Yeah, sorry. I'm the newbie! I never really got into cars and stuff." Sean admits.
"Esteban was obsessed with his engines. That doesn't mean you had to be too." Karen says.
"Yeah, he wanted me to find my own way.. whatever that was. Wish I had more time." Sean sighs.
"Listen.. Esteban loved you and Daniel for exactly who you are.. he would be proud that you're going back to his homeland today.." Karen tells him.
"Wish he was here with us.. it's bullshit that we get to see Puerto Lobos but he doesn't." Sean says.
"I know.. but Esteban is still with you. And he always wanted you and Daniel to see where he came from." Karen smiles.
"I don't know anything about Mexico. It's scary." Sean admits.
"Sean, your carrying the weigh of two people on your shoulders now. It's okay to be nervous." Karen says.
"I'm just tired of running." Sean says. "Of causing trouble everywhere we go."
"We won't have to, soon." I smile.
"Daniels power is overwhelming, and we don't know where it comes from. But you do know your brother. You'll be there for eachother." Karen says.
"I just want to get this shit over with, so we can start over. If we can.." Sean sighs.
"Your brother sure isn't a little kid anymore, he had to grow up to fast.. he wants to be equals and you guys are gonna have to all work together. He may even help you make it." Karen tells us.
"Maybe you're right.." Sean says.
"You'll figure it out, like you always do." Karen smiles. "Okay, better get back to my tune up."
"Alright." Sean says.
"Let me go find Mushroom, who knows where she's at running around here." I giggle, running off to find Mushroom.
I shortly found her and waited by the car. Sean came by and called Daniel on his walkie talkie.
"Daniel, do you copy? It's time to wrap it up." Sean says.
"Be right there! Over." Daniel says.
"So.. did you get to say goodbye to away?" Karen asks.
"Yeah.. kinda sad.." Sean says.
"Me too.." I sigh.
"I know.." Karen says.
"Are we leaving yet?" Daniel asks.
"We have to, enano." Sean sighs.
"Come here." Karen says, giving Daniel a hug.
"Mom.. I-I'm gonna miss you.." Daniel says.
"I'll miss you too, Danny. It was amazing to spend this time with you. I'm so damn proud of you three.. and what you're gonna do with your life. And if you ever need me, I'm just around the corner." Karen says.
"Okay mom, thank you." Daniel says.
"Well.. Sean.. this is it." Karen says.
"Thanks, Mom. For being here." Sean says, hugging Karen.
"Thanks for letting me, son.." Karen says.
"Thank you Karen. You may not be my mom, but I appreciate everything." I smile, hugging Karen.
"Thank you for taking care of Sean and Daniel." Karen says.
"Let's hit the road." Sean says.
"I'm gonna miss everyone here so much." I cry.
"It's okay, y/n." Sean says through his tears, and giving me a hug before going to the other side of the car.
Everyone came outside to watch us leave.
"Take care, kids!" Stanley says.
"Stay safe!" Karen says while we leave.
I stuck my head out the window and waved everyone goodbye again, tears steaming down my face, while we drive off to our next destination.