Chapter Twelve

The Night After Daniels Blowup

   A peaceful night. Cassidy playing the guitar. Perfect weather. Sitting next to a campfire next to my two favorite people, Mushroom in Daniels lap.
     "I got serious munchies!" Penny announces to us. "Any chips left?"
     "Dude you scarfed the whole fucking bag.." Hannah tells Penny. "Have another hit."
    "Yeah, yeah.. I packed a fat bowl." Penny says.
    "You getting tired, babe?" Ingrid asks Anders.
     "You know me." Anders responds.
    "Wooahhh... you see that shit? It's a fucking UFO!" Penny announces looking at the sky. "I'm serious man, look!"
    "They're finally coming to take you back!" Finn replies.
   I take a look around the campfire, scanning everyone's face. It's hard to believe I've known most of them for two months, it feels like forever. I sit there quietly, admiring the music from Cassidy. Her song finishes shortly after, and we give her a quiet round of applause.
    "Tripped on a few words, but y'all are baked so.. I'm good." Cassidy laughs.
    "Good job sis." Finn smiles.
    "So beautiful.." Hannah tells Cassidy.
    "Damn, why ain't you rich and famous? I mean, you can hook us up." Penny asks.
    "That was cool, Cassidy." Sean tells her.
    "You have an amazing voice, Cassidy!" I smile.
    "Thanks everyone! I take ass, cash, or grass!" Cassidy giggles.
     "Sean, take a puff, and pass it towards your friend."  Finn moves his blunt towards Sean.
    "Nah, I'm good." Sean says.
    "How about you y/n?" Finn asks me.
    "No thanks, I don't smoke weed anymore." I sigh.
  Daniel goes to take the blunt, but I put my arm in front of his hand.
    "Daniel!" Sean snaps. "No fucking way."
   "Jeez.. I was just joking." Daniel pouts.
   "Ha Ha." Sean sighs. "You better be."
   "That it all for us." Ingrid announces. "We must sleep."
    "There go the party animals!" Finn exclaims. "What is it? Ten o'clock?"
    "No worry Finn, we'll party like rockstars tommorow for our last night." Anders says.
    "Sleep well!" I call towards them.
    "Goodnight!" Ingrid tells us.
    "Sleep tight." Anders says.
   "I swear, everytime you play that song Cass, I see my poor Blackflag." Hannah says.
   "Aw, I'm sorry." Cassidy sighs.
   "Who's Blackflag?" Daniel asks.
   "He was my dog back in Colorado, until last year?" Hannah looks towards Finn.
    "Yeah.. somethin like that." Finn says.
    "A year ago, we were hopping a train, just me, Finn and Cass, and Blackflag." Hannah says. "We got caught stealing some shit in some town. Mother fuckers called the cops on us. Had to run for it, we seen that train from afar and went straight for it, cops right behind us. We barely made it, but nobody's able to get Blackflag."
    "Jesus.." Sean gasps.
    "Yeah.. I see him chasing after the train, yapping at me. That's it, end of story. I hope the cops picked him up, got him a better home... I think about that damn dog everyday." Hannah sighs. "Here's to Blackflag."
   Everyone picks up their drinks, or in my case water.
    "I'm sorry about your pup, Hannah." I sigh.
   "Jeez, sorry I ruined the mood." Hannah says.
    "Don't worry Hans, we can do worse." Finn says. "Let's hear everyone's worst memory. Fair and square."
    "You serious?" Cassidy asks.
    "Why the fuck not?" Finn exclaims. "We all need to say our piece one in a while. Who's up? Penny?"
   "Cool, bust out the violins, check this out. Say hello to my little friend.. Jinx." Penny shows us the necklace he was wearing.
   "Met him dumpster diving in New Mexico. He was cool, but boy had issues. Mood swings, delirious, self harm, fun shit like that. He seemed to get better with me. I think I loved him. He gave me this coin. Said he never gave his trust to no one before.." Penny puts the coin part of the necklace in his hands and looks down at it. "We use to come here every now and then, hook up on cash, but he disappeared. A few miles north from here, in a pot farm just like this one. He went out one night, high as fuck, and zoom. That was the last time I saw him. Now I gotta hold onto this fucking penny just in case."
   "Is that.. how you got your name?" Sean asks.
   "Yep." Penny replies.
    "Woah.. he must me a lot to you." Sean says.
    "That sucks, brother.. shit like that happens around here." Finn sighs. 
    "Plus, the guy needed medication." Hannah adds.
   "Sure did. I just hope he's okay.. maybe I'll run into his crazy ass someday, who knows.. it's a small world. I'll hand him back the trust that he gave me." Penny says.
    "Alright.. bad vibes indeed, can we do worse?" Finn asks. "Uh, Jake? Please?"
    "Well.. just don't laugh." Jake sighs.
   "We're not gonna laugh. We're here for you." I smile.
   Jake gives me a small smile before continuing.
   "I guess my worse memory is when I lost my faith.." Jake says.
   "Yeah, you mentioned it.." Cassidy says. "What happened?" 
    "I used to be a sheep, a true believer. I was raised in Haven Point, Nevada. Small community. We have this amazing Reverend. People line up the listen to her. She's.. intense. But for some reason.. things happened to me and I.. starting doubting myself." Jake sighs. "It kind of escalated. People said I was trouble, I couldn't get the answers I was looking for. Even for my own folks."
    "I know the feeling.." Hannah says.
   "I felt so lost.. wasn't sure what to believe anymore... so I left. I just needed to be alone for a while, ya know? Find the truth by myself, I'm still looking for it." Jake says.
    "I hope you'll find it soon Jake.." I tell him.
   "Jacob my son.. maybe we are the truth you were looking for!" Finn tells him.
   "I'm glad I found you guys. I don't know if I'll ever got back there..." Jake says. "Not until I get a signal from God, atleast."
    "I hope you can. I bet your family misses you a lot.." Daniel sighs.
   "I miss them too. Just not the other stuff." Jake responds.
    "You probably did the right thing." Sean tells him. "I hope you find your space and answers you need."
    "Thank you, Sean." Jake smiles. "What about you, Cassidy? Your turn."
    "Huh.. nu-uh. Pass. I already sang a song." Cassidy replies.
   "Figures.. what about you, Sean?" Finn asks. "You obviously don't have to talk about that shitshow back in Seattle, but, if you have something else.."
   "Yeah, I got a whole bag of these, don't worry." Sean says.
    "We're all listening, man." Finn tells him.
    "Well, this is after me and Daniel took off from Seattle last year.. we ended up at this redneck gas station in the middle of nowhere shortly after we met y/n, but Daniel and I's pictures were on like, every local newspaper.." Sean sighs.
    "Fucking gutter press.." Hannah says.
   "So the owner shows up and knocks me and y/n out.. he.. tied us up.. and called the cops." Sean says, a tear in his eye.
   I put my arm around him to give him a one armed hug, a soft smile on my face.
    "I hope you beat his racist ass to a pulp!" Penny exclaims.
    "Actually.. Daniel did all the work. He got us out before the cops arrived." Sean smiles at Daniel.
   I look over at Daniel and smile at him.
    "Damn vigilantes.." Hannah sighs.
    "Y/n? You wanna go? You haven't really told us a lot of shitty memories." Finn looks at me.
     "Oh.. well.. I have one about my old town." I sigh.
    "Go ahead, hun." Finn smiles.
   "About three years ago I lived in Arcadia Bay.. I had these two awesome best friends.. Max and Chloe. I was a bit younger than them, but we always were together. Chloe and I had another friend.. Rachel. She ended up getting killed by her fucking  teacher!" I start to tear up. "She was amazing to me.. I looked up to her. So much shit was happening, and my friend Max was telling us about this crazy ass tornado coming, and during that week, it did, almost right after we found Rachel buried in the junkyard were always went to. Chloe and I were so heartbroken.. when the tornado did come.. I was by a lighthouse, waiting for Max and Chloe where they said they would be. I ended up passing out, I looked everywhere for them, but I couldn't find them. My town was destroyed.. I had to see everyone I loved dead.."
   I started bawling at this point, I couldn't breathe, gasping for air. I felt arms go around me and pull me close.
   "I'm sorry y/n.." I heard Finn say.
  "It's okay y/n.." Sean says, hugging me tighter.
    "That sounds awful, I'm sorry." Hannah says.
    "That's fucking insane!" Penny exclaims.
I slowly back away from the hug and get some water and drink it. Once I was done, I put my head on Sean's shoulder.
    "Life.. is a bitch. We can only.. go with the flow.. like a.. river." Finn says. "That's why.. I'm not dragging around any bad memories."
   "Come on!" Cassidy exclaims.
   "Bull fucking shit, man." Hannah says.
   "You started this shit, bitch!" Penny exclaims. "Don't punk out now!"
    "Listen smartasses, I'm just sayin, you cant change the past, so you just gotta focus on what's next. Memories are just lessons for the future." Finn announces.
    "The future, huh? What's your big plan?" Cassidy asks.
    "Wanna know what my plan is? Picture this! A kick ass beach house is Costa Rica! Sunshine, feet in the sand.. sweet ocean view.." Finn exclaims. "We'd be one big, fucked up, happy, dysfunctional family! We'd just.. chill and sing.. and drink cocktails out of coconuts! Only thing we need is a little cash along the way, and then, boom!"
    "Jesus fucking Chris. That's your dream?" Cassidy asks. "Beach house and coconuts?"
    "Oh uh, too boring for you?" Finn teases.
   "Sounds like my folks' retirement plan go Florida!" Cassidy exclaims. "I don't need anything else than what we already have. Sure we're working our asses off right now, but we can beat it if we want! I'm not gonna settle down, no way! That's how shit starts, ya know? When you start having things of your own. Things you ought to defend. Property. Land. Family. What do you think your missing out on?"
    "Um.. coconut cocktails?" Finn teases.
   "Agree to disagree, fucker!" Cassidy blows a kiss to Finn.
   "Man, I'm too high for your shit!" Penny announces. "It's time to crash."
    "Annd.. Penny goes down! Peace out, brother." Finn says.
    "Night night." Cassidy says.
   "See ya, Penny." I say.
   Penny does a bow to us before going to his tent.
    "Looks like we still have some booze left, who's in?" Hannah asks. 
   "Oh, twist my arm." Finn says.
   "A teeny tiny drink." Cassidy says. "And we NEED to talk about Sean's hippie hair! Boy needs a real haircut."
   "Oh hell yes he does!" Finn exclaims. "Now it's your turn to get a trim! Karma!"
    "I'll call it a day too." Jake announces. "Night everyone."
   "Bye Jake!" I wave.
   "Hey.. I'm wiped out." Daniel looks at us. "Are you guys ready for bed yet?"
    "Yep, I'm ready to crash too, y/n?" Sean asks.
   "Totally, I'm so tired." I yawn.
    "Let's go." Daniel says, he picks up Mushroom.
   "What? No! Your gonna miss our makeover skills!" Cassidy exclaims.
    "I'd fall asleep, then you'll trim my ear off!" Sean giggles.
    "Aw, get outta here!" Finn exclaims.
  "Night Finn!" Daniel waves. 
   "See you guys!" I smile.
    We all wave goodbye and walk towards our tent.
    "You didn't have to come with me, ya know..." Daniel says.
    "I know.." Sean says.
   "I'm tired from having my tiny breakdown.." I sigh.
  Daniel, Mushroom and I get in the tent before Sean does.
    "Hey, can we talk about what happened at the lake?" Sean asks Daniel.
   I started to sit up once I heard the topic come up.
    "Yeah?" Daniel says.
   "It kinda.. bummed me out when you said you weren't a kid anymore.. I mean, I know your not but.. I'm gonna miss it." Sean sighs.
    "I can't help it Sean.. things are so different now. I miss my friends.. my room, my PlayBox.. everything.." Daniel sighs. "It all seems so far away now. I know I'm not always nice with you.. but things aren't nice anymore."
    "I know.. but don't let this change who you are." Sean says.
   "I just wish I could have a normal life again... and stop being angry all the time.. I'm just so tired of all this crap." Daniel sighed.
    "I feel so same way, dude." Sean admits. "That's okay.. just.. don't feed the beast, you know?"
    "Yeah.." Daniel says.
    "Hey Daniel.. remember my story at the campfire? I remember having to grow up then.. and I was always angry.. I thought it was my fault. Just remember you're not alone. Sean and I are always here for you." I tell him.
    "Thanks y/n.." Daniel says.
Daniel reaches his arm to his side and shows us his watch.
   "You know.. I still like it.. but it's kinda tight on me now.." Daniel admits.
   "Yeah.. you're too big for it" Sean says.
   "I am?" Daniel asks. "But.. I would like to hear about the Wolf Brothers and their friend, if that's okay. Just, don't tell the others, okay?"
    "Promise, alright. Get comfy." Sean smiles.
  Daniel lays down and puts Mushroom in his arms. I go to lay down, and fall asleep almost instantly.