part 35

The ride to the airport was pretty quiet.

It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, thankfully, it was just understood. It was getting later and we were both tired. I look over to see him calmly looking out the window. 

My heart still feels like it's beating so hard and loud that he might hear it sitting next to me in the car.

I dimmed the brightness on my phone to look at the photo where he kissed my cheek. He took the photo while I was still smiling.

I didn't even want to post it. I wanted to keep that little moment in my back pocket forever.

Just me and him.

He fell asleep in the car by the time we got back to the plane and trudged onto it while he was half asleep. I threw a blanket on him that I kept on board and continued back to my seat before takeoff.

--

One plane ride and another long car ride later, we were finally home. We were both exhausted. I could have slept on the floor and been okay with it at that point. We walked slowly towards the front door, but as I was reaching for the handle Jungkook stopped me.

"Y/n..." He started.

"Thank you again, for everything this evening. Aside from this whole debacle with IU, recently I have just felt overwhelmed and stressed. I thought I had a partner who understood and was supportive, but even that backfired on me. I really felt like I just had to bear this alone, but it turns out I've just been worrying those that love me- like my hyungs, who I can especially turn to right now."

He paused for a moment, like he had to think about what to say next.

"Thank you for helping me make this new memory with you. During this dark time in my life, thank you for being a source of light."

He looked down at his feet as his last statement nearly came out in a whisper. Before I could say anything in return, he had opened the door to head inside.

As we approached our rooms, we looked at each other for a long time, like there was something left unsaid.

Or a kiss left to be given.

What am I thinking?

I shouldn't be thinking of kissing him.

"Goodnight, Y/n," he broke me out of my own thoughts.

"Goodnight, Jungkook," I replied.

We smiled at each other and left to our rooms.

After rinsing off from the beach, I quickly change into my pajamas and get into bed.

I couldn't help but replay the moment where he kissed my cheek. I try not to let myself think too much about it. He was in an emotional and vulnerable state.

Or am I just telling myself that to protect myself from feeling like a rebound?

I sigh in frustration at the thought, but sleep soon takes over my whole body after a very eventful evening.