four.

Chapter Four ~ Eye Of The Beholder

MAX WAS WALKING INTO HOMEROOM TRAILING SADLY BEHIND MANNY. There was a dance tonight for all 7th and 8th graders, Max didn't want to come, but she was being forced by Emma, she was a really good at arguing for her causes.

Max was having a terrible morning. First of all, she didn't have a date to the dance since J.T. and Toby wasn't going to come, and second of all, she had just seen her long-time crush Spinner Mason ask out Terri MacGregor, could it get any worse?

"I can't believe you guys are chickening out" Emma complains as they all sit down in their designated chairs.

"We're not chickening out" Toby argues, not wanting to talk about it anymore.

"We're just not going to the dance" J.T. states.

"Sounds like chickening out to me" Max smiles looking at the to boys, who tries to avoid her eyes.

Emma turns to Manny and Max, "Guess it's just us girls then"

Manny looks at the two girls with guilt in her eyes, trying to say something but stumbling in her words.

"You did talk to your parents" Emma questions looking at Manny.

"Yes, and no" Manny mumbles, "if the dance was during school hours, fine, but its at night."

Emma turns her chair around now only focusing on Max, "so now it's just the two of us Max"

Max smiles awkwardly, "yeah" she says sarcastically, turning around in her chair focusing on getting ready for class.

Mr. Simpson walks in homeroom with a boy Max hadn't seen before, he was probably new, he was wearing a jean jacket and looked a bit old for the class he was in.

"Good morning people, I would like you to meet Sean Cameron" Mr. Simpsons says, Sean who was by his side seemed extremely uninterested, "he was here a few months last year before he moved up north, Sean why don't you tell the class a little bit about yourself?"

Sean looks over the class with a bored glance, "no."

Max quietly laughs at the whole ordeal, she likes him, he's different.

Sean walks over to an empty seat and sits down, without saying another word. The group of five share weird glances with each other.

~~~

The group was sitting outside in the schoolyard eating their lunch. Max saw her brother Jimmy walking up to the new kid Sean, and sitting beside him on top of the bench. She could see them talking, but couldn't hear what is was about.

Sean got up from his seat at the bench, moving to another place to get away from Jimmy, Max catches Jimmy's attention, giving him a questioning look to ask him what just happened. He shrugs and lifts his arms in an unknowing manner, and walks back over to his friends.