Awkward.

"Annabelle?" Pony asks and I laugh as I stand up.

"It's so good to see you!" I exclaim as I hug him.

"Yeah you too." He says as we both sit at the empty table.

"So what are you up to these days?" I ask and he smiles.

"I went to California State after high school and I got my degree in teaching and now I teach at the Elementary school here." He tells me and I can't help but feel a little guilty at how much he's accomplished even when's he so young.

"What grade you teach?" I ask.

"Third." He answers.

"Handful?" I question and he nods. I laugh as he sees the baby carrier at my feet.

"What about you? How'd you get stuck babysitting tonight?" He questions and I decide to answer the first part of his question.

"Well I moved to Montana after graduation and I went to MSU and I got my degree in Social Work and I almost got married to this one guy but.. that all went down horribly." I tell him and he stares at me, listening intently.

"Why?" He questions and I sigh.

"Long story short I found him in bed with another girl." I shrug.

"Oh I'm sorry." He apologizes but I shake my head.

"So how'd you get stuck babysitting on the night of the reunion?" He asks again and I look down at William kicking and giggling in his carrier and I know that there's no reason I should be ashamed of him.

"The reason I got stuck babysitting is because this is my baby." His eyes nearly burst out of his head.

"Your baby?" He questions and I nod as I carefully take William out of his carrier.

"This is my son, William." I introduce and Pony stares at William as he sits on my lap.

"Wow.. Um.. When did that happen?" He asks and I feel a little offended that he called him "that".

"He happened after college. He's nine months old." I explain and he nods but still looks lost.

"He has your eyes." He points out and I nod solemnly as I look at his blue eyes and stare at the small ring of brown that slipped into his genes.

"So wow.. You have a baby. That's great. So i'm guessing you're married." He guesses but I shake my head.

"His father is the one who I caught in bed with another girl.. I was five months pregnant and William is under my last name." I tell him as I show him my left hand and he sees that in fact there in no ring.

"What about you? Are you seeing anyone?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"Teaching takes up most of my time." He shrugs and I nod. I see him staring at William with such close intent.

"Do you want to hold him?" I ask, breaking their staring contest.

"Can I?" He asks and I nod as I carefully place my infant in his arms. My heart aches a little at the sight of grown up Pony holding a child that could've been ours if we didn't break up all those years ago.

"He's beautiful." I think he's finally come to terms that he's teaching kids while I'm raising one.

"You know something funny?" He asks out of the blue and I shake my head.

"Last year, I was going to get married and it was the day of the wedding and I had a total brain fart and said the wrong name at the alter." He explains and I lean forward.

"Oh no? What's your bride say?" I ask and he laughs.

"She left me at the alter." He's laughing like its a joke but it's really sad. Some girl was lucky enough to have him in her life and she just left him because he said the wrong name once?

"Who was your bride?" I ask and he stares at me.

"Jackie from high school." He says and I feel everything inside me collapse. What happened after graduation? I take in a shaky breath and nod.

"Who's name did you say?" I ask, he laughs again.

"I said Annabelle." As those words fall out of his mouth I have flashbacks from high school and I know that I can't fall for him again, I can't forget my son like my dad forgot me.