38: The Selfless Sacrifice

-It was never a change of heart-

The clouds were rumbling...rain drizzling down from the sky. Feeling cold droplets roll down my cheeks, I had to constantly pat away the sticky sensation and try to keep up with an anxious Asmara. She was rushing around...searching the dark shadows for Zaheer. 

After being told to stay in my room, I had looked for Asmara and found her frantically searching for Zaheer. He was not in his room, and some of the waiters claimed to have seen him strolling in the gardens. It was dangerous for him to be outdoors where guns were randomly being shot and gang meetings were about to take place. 

Anxiously searching for him, we reached the backside of the hotel's building. Asmara seemed to be hyperventilating by now. 

"Why do you think he has gone?" She worried, rubbing her forehead in discomfort. The wind was making her yell out her words. 

"I don't know." I shook my head, anxiety getting the best of me. It was dark and eerie in this part of the hotel premises. With thick trees and bushes surrounding us, it felt intimidating. Also, I didn't want us to be outdoors while Demir had a meeting with Meeran's father. Anything could go wrong.

Suddenly, we heard loud footsteps move around the corner of the hotel building and head towards us. It was some security guard carrying a huge gun in his hand. 

Ma'am, what are you doing out here?" He frowned, rushing towards us in a hurry. "It isn't safe. The guests are already here. You should be indoors."

"My brother, Zaheer-" Asmara quickly spoke. "We are looking for him." 

"He must be indoors by now. Come, I will escort you back inside. It is not safe for you to be outside."

"B-but-"

"Ma'am, please come with me." The guard urged; however, instead of worry...he now seemed frustrated and urgent. 

"Okay." Just as Asmara agreed, another pair of footsteps rounded the corner of the hotel building. It was Zaheer. He, too, seemed to be anxiously searching for us. 

"There you are!" He rushed towards us, with a relieved stance. "Come...let's go back inside," he urged. Grabbing Asmara's hand, he began guiding us back towards the front of the hotel...only to have the security guard suddenly step in our way.

"I will escort you," he insisted. 

Something didn't feel right. 

"Umm...it is okay. I will take them back inside the hotel." Zaheer assured, moving to push past the guard. Yet, the man wouldn't budge.

"I will escort you back," he reiterated, sounding dead-serious and a bit malicious now.

 Terror gripped my heart.

I couldn't understand what was going on. Why this guard was so persistent in wanting to escort us back towards the hotel. The wind had picked up speed now...and lighting was striking at random minutes, making me jolt. 

I was standing next to Asmara while Zaheer was standing in front of us, confidently facing the guard. The whole situation was making me feel so nervous. 

Staring at the guard for a second, Zaheer took one step back. 

"Run," he whispered to us, staring straight ahead. 

"Wha-"

"Turn around and run." This was an order. 

Terrified, confused and pale, Asmara and I didn't spare a second as we immediately turned around and aimlessly running back towards the backside of the hotel building. Zaheer rushed behind us.