Time's up

The sound of heels on stone echoed through the busy streets on a beautiful and surprisingly warm spring evening. The sun had set the sky on fire half an hour ago, tinting the surroundings in a warm orange-red glow. Somewhere further away from busy business people, a young female enjoyed the pleasant warmth of the sun on her skin. Her blonde hair shone like gold and her brown orbs lit up in the light, only giving her more of an angelic appearance. Her white off-shoulder cotton dress softly moved in sync with her steps as she walked along the edge of the city. The sight of rich green fields greeted her every time there was a gap between houses. The sound of her shoes on the asphalt, the singing of the birds and the crinkle  of the plastic packing of the groceries she had bought just a while ago, relaxed her. It had this oddly satisfying vibe of a picture-perfect evening in paradise. Soon she came to a halt when a couple of friends, in company with some males she did not know, appeared from a side street. The female greeted her friends happily and started a simple conversation with them. The males turned out to be either friends of the guys being close with her friends or in a relationship with them. One of the 'plus ones' seemed rather shy and only listened, yet he had caught her attention with those tiny details in his behaviour. The way his beautiful doe eyes studied the gestures of the ones speaking and the way he smiled intrigued the female. However, whenever his eyes met hers, her heart seemed to warm up slightly, giving her a pleasant feeling of being in peace with herself. It did not take long before one of her friends inquired about her love life. With a lightly embarressed chuckle she answered: "Nothing has changed and I am pretty confident that there will be no changes any time soon. I came to terms with the fact that I shall die a virgin." The female did not pay much attention to her friends telling her she had still enough time to find the love of her life. But what drew her attention from her friends was the shy boy who, now, seemed rather surprised. He must have thought she was happily taken. Turning his head away, he tried to avoid his joy being visible to anyone of the people surrounding him, yet he was not aware that he had failed. A friend of his had noticed and started making plans for all of them to meet again and just maybe, they could establish new close bonds between each other. Some more time had passed and the sun moved closer to the horizon, in no rush to vanish to make room for the night. Noticing this by the increase in red of the colour of the sky the young girl looked at her bare arm where a digital watch appeared on her skin. Everybody was born with one and it was known that once the time was replaced with three words the life of the person carrying this timer within themselves was about to end three seconds after. Her clock read close to six pm so she said her good bye to the group of new found friends and distanced herself from them. The streets were empty and life proved to be just as picture-perfect as it had been before the unexpected company, when she suddenly felt a strange sensation on her wrist. Confused she took a look at it and froze. Turning around to her friends, who were still standing there just a few feet away, she smiled and said as tears formed in the corner of her eyes: "I am sorry, but I think my time is up..."

All that was left the second after she had said those words was the noise of a small lorry crashing into a nearby house. The driver must have lost control over his vehicle, wiping the girl off her feet. And so the evening in paradise ended with a crushed body and blood drowning the white fabric in scarlet.