Thirteen

Rome

It had been four days since Rome had moved into the Martini compound and in four days Rome felt as though she had more of a family here than she did her whole life. She was seated between Dallas and Laya as they lay on blankets spread out on the grass. Greece had planned a girls only picnic the day before and now Rome was seated amongst them as they gossiped. Alonso was seated beside her and was casually hitting her leg with his chubby hand.

Rome had never held a baby before and cautiously poked his arm to which he looked up at her smiling.
"Hi!" She cooed.

She caught Dallas's gaze who looked amused, "Do you want to hold him?" She asked.

Rome looked unsure, "I don't know, I've never—"

"I won't force you but you can, I'll help," she offered.

Rome smiled when he was placed in her arms and he giggled when she smiled at him. She found herself easily loving this as she rocked him from side to side, "oh you're so cute!" She mumbled.

She handed him back to Dallas gently before Greece spoke, "Uhoh intruder alert!"

Rome turned her attention to Elliot who was walking towards them, "Baby!" Laya squealed racing towards him and kissing him briefly.

Rome had found herself fascinated by the relationship Laya held with Alessando and Elliot but hadn't gotten the time to ask her about it, her naive mind curious.
"I come bearing gifts,"

"Chocolate!" Dallas said excitedly.

Soon Rome almost burst out laughing as Allegro, Alessando and Arturo approached them with goods of their own and Rome giggled as Greece rolled her eyes before smiling and kissing her husband tenderly, "Bored, weren't you?" She asked smirking.

Allegro smiled and Rome saw herself frowning as Alejandro hadn't come into view. She tried not to look too disappointed as everyone seemed to couple off and sourly she took a bite of a tuna sandwich before she felt warmth settle beside her and she looked over towards Alejandro who was smiling down at her with a basket of fresh fruit. A smile she noticed he'd reserved only for her as he took a seat.
"Having fun?" He asked.

Rome nodded, "A lot, everyone is so nice,"

"We know!" Alessando cut in.

Rome chuckled as Alejandro shook his head beside her, "For the record you're pretty great too!" Laya smiled.

Rome felt her spirits lift as everyone seemed to agree.

"I keep forgetting to ask, but— in the mall, the first time we saw you, what was your reaction to the contents of Laya's purse?" Dallas asked.

Rome chuckled remembering exactly what Dallas was talking about, "I wasn't totally put off, cause I'd seen weapons before but I was shocked that Laya had them."

Laya chuckled, "That was mortifying! Dallas was so sure you'd call the police on us,"

Rome shook her head before everyone just laughed softly, "No of course not, I just remember wishing I had friends like you all,"

Rome had realized what she had admitted moments later before a blush spread across her cheeks and she was attacked by all three women with lots and lots of hugs and kisses.
"Well now you got some!" Greece said squeezing her.

Rome hugged them back tighter, enjoying the bonding moment before Alejandro tenderly touched her shoulder blade as he soothingly, not saying a word but his actions spoke volumes. It was only until the sun was setting did everyone decide to pack up and Rome helped Allegro carry in one of the baskets while Alejandro and Dallas folded the blankets.

She received several kisses on the cheek from the girls before both herself and Alejandro walked into their room. Rome sat on the edge of the bed, reliving the day over, it had been the most fun she'd had since she was kid, without having to worry about the consequences of her actions, granted she'd been quiet but had been listening, Rome felt as though they'd so easily excepted her into their group, into the family and soon tears welled up in her eyes.

She sniffled which made Alejandro's gaze snap to her, "Tesoro....." (treasure)

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" He asked.

He was kneeling down in front of her, his hand on her knee and the thought of him so quickly coming to her aid made her cry more, from her blurry gaze, she could see the concern on his face as he comfortingly rubbed her thigh, his hand moving to caress her cheek.

"Please don't cry, I don't like seeing you cry," he said quietly.

It had to be softest she'd ever heard his voice and she nodded, wiping her tears, "Baby, tell me what happened," Alejandro cooed.

Rome dried her tears before offering him a weak smile, "Your family,"

Alejandro looked startled, "Did they upset you? I thought you were having a good time...."

"No, no, I did..... they're just so amazing."

Alejandro titled his head at her, "— but your tears?"

"Were happy tears," she sniffled chuckling at Alejandro's serious expression.

"I don't like your tears, doesn't matter if they're happy, I don't want to see you cry." He wiped her cheeks.

Rome nodded, before hugging him quickly, "Fine weirdo," she muttered giggling as Alejandro ignored her wrapping his arms around her gently.

~*~

A U T H O R ' S     N O T E

its short i know, im sorry but that just means more to come soon!!