Chapter XVI

Sitting tiredly on the old wooden chair, Kusumlata couldn't find the peace of mind she needed. Craved.

Although her heart now felt better than ever before. Years of angst, tears and the sense of injustice had finally left her heart, which they've taken as hostage from the past twenty years.

But now after all that happened in the living room outside, was haunting her. She had said things in anger that a mother should never say.

As a mother she wanted justice for her daughter, who was no longer in this mortal world. But at the same time, she had done the same injustice to her son. For accusing him of the crimes he was already guilty of.

Ira, whom she loved the most in this world after her Meera. Because, in Ira she'd found her forsaken daughter. Now, how was she ever going to face her? Voicing out things she had kept supressed till now relieved her heart from the heavy ominous weight they carried. But soon the relief was replaced by the sense of immense guilt.

'Will Vikrant ever forgive me?' she asked to no one in her broken voice.

Will she ever find a way to redeem herself from the sins, she had committed today?

When Vikrant and Kasturi had come to talk about Ira and Raghvendra. It had triggered the gruesome memories of the night when her husband and son closed the doors of this Chauhan Mansion for Meera forever.

They had turned a deaf-ear and a blind-eye to her pleas and woes. All because, given promises and shallow pride were way too important for the men of this house.

When her daughter left the house, Kusumlata has felt as though her life source had abandoned her. After that incident she never talked about it to anyone. The shock and despair were that much for her fragile heart.

Soon people started forgetting Meera. She wasn't remembered in the casual talks anymore. And when Kusumlata also didn't said anything, they thought she too had overcome the pain and was now slowly starting to forget about her daughter.

But, is it possible for a mother to ever forget her child?

~*~*~*~*~

Kusumlata was really pleased after the talk with her relatives. She had just ended the call when Vikrant and Kasturi walked towards her with hesitant and uncertain steps.

Smiling warmly at them she asked, "How did your sudden trip to Delhi went?" as both the husband and wife sat adjacent to her on her sofa.

For a second Kusumlata sensed unease and hesitance when Vikrant didn't reply. She raised her brow at him, expecting his answer. But when he didn't, she asked again.

"Vikrant??" she called as he looked at her finally. "I asked how did things go in Delhi?"

"Good. Better than I'd expected." He said and she smiled in content and quickly thanked her Lord Krishna.

"Oh! I remembered." Kusumlata gasped suddenly. "Did you talk about the proposal to Ira?"

Kasturi turned pale as Vikrant fidgeted in his seat uneasily. "Oh! My you haven't. What are you both waiting for? I also have to call the Sikarwars, you know Bhagyashree said that Vaibhav really liked our Ira. And they would like to go forward with the proposal." She fawned over as an image of Ira in her red wedding attire danced in front of her eyes.

"Say no to the proposal Maa." Vikrant stated strongly and it took a while for Kusumlata to comprehend his words.

"Are you out of your mind Vikrant?" she stated incredulously and glared at him and then turned to his wife. "What is all this nonsense Kasturi?"