Chapter XVIII

The silence was deafening, it was constricting. Thought Rudra as he stared at the still and grim figures in front of him.

He was in the guest room, when Eklavya suddenly came from the balcony and stated that it was time they meet their grandparents. And of course, being the obedient younger brother, that he was, Rudra immediately obliged.

Shekhar, his grandpa's personal secretary had led them here. And he was sure that him and his uncle, Vikrant, must be strolling outside the doors impatiently.

As a result, they were currently sitting in a grand room having a cup of coffee with their grandpa dearest. His grandma was still lying unconscious on the wooden canopy bed.

Her pretty and still flawless face looked pale.

The atmosphere was tense as the silence hung upon them ominously. The tension was so thick that it didn't feel like that grandparents and grandsons were meeting for the first time. 'Well, having a brother who's as outspoken as Eklavya is a true blessing.' Rudra thought sardonically.

"What did the doctor say? When will she regain consciousness?" Eklavya asked with an extremely uninterested expression.

Rudra stared at his brother with something that was insultingly similar to incredulity. 'His brother knew pretty damn well how to act like a stranger at time like this.'

"She usually gains consciousness in two to three hours. There's nothing to be worried about, she'll be up in sometime." The old man stated with the same unfriendly tone that his grandson had just used.

Rudra rolled his eyes as he finally gathered where his dear brother gets his arrogance and indifference from. Like grandpa like grandson.

"Usually? You say as if this is a regular occurrence? Seriously, does no one take care of her properly!" Eklavya said with mild disbelief and underlying anger.

Rudra Pratap clenched his jaw at the accusation. However, curbing his anger he replied tersely, "I take care of her. Then there's Malti, Nalini's personal nurse. She looks after her when I'm away."

And Rudra yet again rolled his eyes in frustration. 'Seriously! What was the deal between them? They're speaking less like family and more like enemies.'

Wanting to eliminate the awkward atmosphere surrounding them Rudra started, "Dada ji, Shekhar uncle told us that Dadi had a surgery at the beginning of the year."

Rudra waited patiently for his grandpa to say something but the said man was lost somewhere. His emotions got the best of him as his eyes looked slightly wet from unshed tears. 'How many years had he waited for this? To be called this?'

Although he had been called that on many occasions by others. But to hear from his own children was different.

"Dada ji!" Rudra called out to him in concern.

Shaking out of his stupor Rudra Pratap looked at both his grandsons simultaneously. And for the first time in a long time he truly felt relieved.

It was like magic. All of his years' long angst, self-loathing, guilt and fears vanished into thin air just by seeing their radiant faces.

Like they never existed in the first place. At this moment his old but still strong arms wanted nothing more than to embrace them against his chest and never let go.

But he was Rudra Pratap Singh Shekhawat. Showing weaknesses was as big as committing sins for him. He had lived that way and he'll die that way.

Getting a strong hold of his wild emotions he started in his deep and gruff voice. "She had an operation for stone. Down her ribcage, near the left kidney."