The Aftermath

I stayed up in my room until Lyam came in and sat on the bed next to me. "Hey, kid, what's up?"

"I just miss them." I sat up and leaned on his shoulder as he put an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him.

"I know you will, but sometimes things happen that we can't control." He leaned his head on top of mine and we were both silent for a minute, neither of us had the guts to break the silence and say something.

"Do you think they'll remember me?"

"Yeah, I don't think they'd forget the girl they saved very easily."

"You're right, well, I hope they don't." I nodded.

"So, what's your plans for the day after tomorrow? You know you have school after that."

"Oh, right, I forgot about that." I moaned, I wasn't ready to do this. "I guess I'll just do whatever I want, I'll take the days as they come at me."

"Good plans, Cal."

"Well, that's something people should learn to do, they shouldn't live in the past, that's what screws people. They dwell too much on things that they can't change and it just hurts them." I shrugged as I felt Lyam nod.

"You're right, that's what Jake, Connor, and I should do about Mom and Dad."

"Speaking of that, when is their funeral?"

"Tomorrow, then Jake and I are going back to college. We got all the time we could off and now we're going back."

I slouched on him even farther. Their funeral was tomorrow, and I was going to have to go.

"Hey, I know it's hard, but we can pull through this together. And you still have your birthday to look forward to."

"Right. My sixteenth..." I groaned, I wasn't looking forward to it at all.

"Look, just get some sleep, it's late. We'll deal with everything tomorrow." Lyam stood up and pulled the covers over me like a good brother would do for his little sister.

"Thanks for everything, Lyam."

"I know, and you're welcome. And you're my favorite sibling, no offense to any of the others. And, don't get me wrong, I love them with all of my heart. But, you've just held a special place in my heart because you were the first born girl, before we adopted Jess and Jakob."

Adopted? Oh, I sometimes forgot they were adopted. And they didn't even know, this could get bad. I shook my head a little and pushed those thoughts away, they shouldn't know about that yet. I don't want to tell them, either.

"Okay, get some sleep, I'll see you in the morning before we have to get ready for the funeral."

"Thanks, Lyam." I smiled as he patted my leg and left my room.

I fell asleep that night and had a dream about the guys. It was one of those flashback dreams, I relived going to that water park with them, specifically riding the tornado slide with Ponsi. All of the feelings I felt while riding that came flooding back into my mind. I remember trying to grab onto him as we flew out of the end of the funnel and flipped.

But my feeling of happiness was cut short because I was shaken awake by Lyam. "Come on, I've let you sleep as late as we can afford. Come on, get up and take a shower, your dress is hanging in your bathroom." Lyam pulled me to my feet and led me to the bathroom.

"Okay, I'll be done in a few." I muttered and closed the door behind him.

I took a long shower to calm my nerves and keep my emotions from getting the best of me. That was going to happen later in front of my family, not now.