Chapter 4

Your parents weren't happy when you finally cycled into your driveway that night. You'd managed to convince them that you'd simply gone out with a few friends for dinner after the chess meeting, your phone dying before you had the chance to let them know. You still suspected they were a little bit suspicious, but it wasn't like they would have believed the truth had you told them.

"What's this for again?" Your mother said from where she stood in the doorway of your bedroom. Her hair pulled back in a tight bun, freshly pressed work uniform hugging her bony figure.

"It's a camp for my art class. We're going to the next town over to look at some of the galleries there. You signed my note for it, remember?" You were currently stuffing various clothes into your bag, your mother peering over at you skeptically. There was no note she'd signed and no art camp you were going on.

"Must have slipped my mind." Your mother muttered mindlessly. It was easy for your family to believe you when there was no other plausible reason for you to be taking off for a week. To their knowledge anyway. "And you didn't need me to drop you off or anything? I don't know how I feel about you walking there on your own." She asked, for about the tenth time that morning.

"No, it's not that far away, only a couple minutes, I'll be fine." You looked at the window through the corner of your eye. To be honest you wouldn't have minded getting dropped off. After your meeting with Elariel the faerie, you were a little more terrified of what was wondering around out there. But then you would have to explain the complete absence of your entire art class when you got there. You would just have to endure the walk for now.

You were lost as to what you might need to pack for this week-long journey you were about to embark on. All you knew was that you had seven challenges to do, but Elariel had not given the slightest hint as to what it was those challenges would include. You ended up packing enough clothes for a week, with a few spare outfits in case your other clothes got ruined, about a hundred dollars in spare change, your phone and charger. What you were confused about the most was stuff like soap and shampoo, you had no idea if you were going to be staying in actual living spaces, or if it was going to be like the abandoned bait shop the whole time. You ended up packing it all anyway, just to avoid more suspicion on your parents part.

"Alrighty, I think I'm all good to go." You declared when you'd gotten everything packed neatly away in your duffel bag. You turned to your mother to say goodbye, that fake smile slipping onto your face almost unconsciously now.

"I still think it's crazy that an art camp wants to start in the middle of the week, but I trust you." Your limbs tightened a bit at that. "Now you go have fun, call me when you can, okay?"

"Of course I will mum, you tell dad goodbye for me when he gets back from work. I'll see you in a week." You gave your mum a hug and kiss on the cheek, standing on your tip-toes as she was so tall. You waved goodbye to her as you walked off towards a future that was shrouded in mystery.

The walk to the parking lot was stressful. You were on edge the whole time, jumping at every sound in fear that something like Elariel was going to jump out and eat you alive. The autumn air was sharp enough to make you wish you'd at least thrown on a jacket before you left the house. You settled for hugging yourself, glad your shirt was at least long sleeved.

Jisung was already there when you arrived, sitting on the curb of the road hugging his knees to keep himself warm. his dark hair was mostly hidden beneath a beanie, though dark strands were still hanging from the front of it to fall in his eyes. He was also smart enough to wear a jacket.

He looked up when he heard you approaching, waving when he saw you.

"Hey." He said softly when you arrived, standing up off the curb and shouldering his backpack.