Chapter 11

Your legs were aching. You'd been walking for hours upon hours, too worried about missing the third challenge to think about stopping. Your body paid for it though, all your limbs heavy from the strenuous walk, your back tight and begging you to sit down for a minute or two.

All of that drowned out when you saw the steepled roof of a barn. The sun had not yet dipped towards the other half of the earth, meaning you made it with time to spare, but you were unsure if you were glad that you had made it or not. You looked over at Jisung, who looked just as conflicted as you felt. The two of you hadn't talked much about what happened last night, but there was a closeness between the two of you that hadn't been there yesterday.

You trekked through the last few trees until you emerged out onto the grounds of Herschel's farm. It looked just how you remembered it. You used to come up here with your family every holiday break. You remembered feeding the animals handfuls of feed, and one time you got to feed the baby goats bottles of milk. It was worlds easier than feeding Antony had been, that's for sure.

"I wonder if they still have the super slides." Jisung said as the two of you walked closer to the front entrance.

You gasped excitedly. "Oh my god, I forgot about them!" You used to spend hours on those things. Your smile faded quickly when you remembered the reason you were here now. It was not to feed animals and it was not to play on slides. You pushed aside that worry and just focused on getting inside the farm first.

"Do you have any idea where we're supposed to go?" Jisung asked as the two of you reached the entrance. There was a small queue that had formed, so you and Jisung patiently waited at the back.

"No, I have no clue. I'm hoping it'll be the same as the mirror maze, and once we see it we'll know." You said hopefully. The first and second task really did not have much in common, meaning that you doubted you would know what you were going to face at any of the challenges to come.

"Well, I guess it wasn't easy to miss either of the other ones." Jisung agreed. The line moved further forward until you and Jisung were standing before the counter, sliding your tickets over. The man at the counter gave you each a wristband before waving you off into the farm.

"So, I guess we start looking then." You shrugged. The two of you set off through the farm, eyes peeled for any signs that would give away where you were supposed to go.

"It's a little weird being around all these people." Jisung said as you walked. "There was nobody around when we were doing our last challenges, I don't know why they've chosen such a populated area for the next challenge."

You had to agree with that. It was strange being amongst so many people while trying to keep your eyes out for something supernatural. "I just hope it has nothing to do with all these people." The fear that all these people were in fact not human at all gripped you quickly.

"Well, I suppose we will just have to find out then." Jisung said, though his face indicated he was thinking very similar things. The two of you walked around for a while, and you tried to keep focused on the task at hand, but being somewhere that was filled with so many memories, you couldn't help getting a little distracted. There were so many things here that you had enjoyed so immensely when you were just a child, that the joy of all of that came rushing back.

You weren't sure how long you had been there, but you almost squealed in excitement when you saw the slide. You immediately turned to hit Jisung on the shoulder. He turned instantly and saw what you were pointing at. His face lit up, eyes growing wide and mouth dropping open.

"The super slides!" he exclaimed, clapping his hands together. Little kids were crawling all over the smaller ones, older kids, teens and a few gutsy parents were giving it a go on the taller ones. There were four slides in total, the two shorter ones off to the left, and the two taller ones right next to them on the right. They were all made of painted metal, which meant they were boiling in the summer and freezing in the winter. But everyone was on them all the time no matter the season.