Chapter 18

After an hours long bus trip, in which you spent most of the time with your head on Jisung's shoulder as you drifted in and out of sleep, you finally arrived back in your city. The sun had set and night cloaked the town as you stepped off the bus.

You wanted to collapse onto the sidewalk and just sleep and cry for years. Jisung kept reminding you that you weren't far from his house, that it was only another hour at most before you could sleep. And so you had pushed through, until finally, you arrived at Jisung's house.

You let out a sob of relief when you saw it, though no tears came to your eyes. It seemed you had dried the well of tears. You nearly toppled off your bike when you reached his driveway, ditching the bike on the front lawn, and nearly sprinting into his house once the door was open. You blindly followed Jisung until you reached his bedroom.

The first time you had stayed here you had slept in the guest room, seeing as you and Jisung were practically strangers. But now you couldn't bear the thought of being away from him for so long. You were both in desperate need of a shower and a proper hot meal, but rest was of the utmost importance.

The past week had been more than physically exhausting. It had tested every ounce of your strength, physically, emotionally and mentally, until you were numb from head to foot and could think of nothing other than keeling over and falling into a deep slumber.

And that you did. Wrapped in the protective circle of Jisung's arms you slept. It must have been hours, and hours that you slept, for when you woke again the sun had risen high in the sky, sharp spears of light shooting into your eyes through the gaps in the curtains.

Fully awake and now back in civilisation you were able to indulge yourself in a shower. And it was one of the most spectacular things you'd ever experienced. Scalding hot water poured down your back as you worked off the week long sludge of dirt that covered your body. You scrubbed at every inch of skin and washed your hair three times.

When you emerged from the bathroom, steaming hot bowls of ramen were waiting for you in the kitchen. You and Jisung ate like madmen, cuddled up against each other while you watched movies. For a few hours you and Jisung forgot about everything. You forgot about the past week, you forgot about the fae, the challenges, and you forgot about your own realities. You simply sat there and enjoyed each other's company for as long as you could.

Eventually you had to pull away. Your family was expecting you back tonight, and even though you didn't want to, you had to return.

The challenges with the fae may have been finished, but there was still something of equal difficulty that you had to do.

And so there you stood. In front of your sister's girlfriend's apartment door, gathering up the courage to knock. You'd returned to your own home the night before. Your mother had asked about the art camp, and you told her that it was fine. You claimed you had simply fallen and scraped your hands which was why they were covered in bandages, and you did not let here anywhere near your bag until it was safely hidden in your room.

You had asked her where Liliana was. She went stiff and cold and told you that she had moved out while you were gone. She lived with Lottie now, in her apartment across the city.

The searing pain of guilt returned tenfold. That night you argued with your parents. Throughout your entire life, you and your parents were nothing but civil with each other. You were never really close but you were never really unhappy with each other either.

That changed that night. It had only begun with you telling your parents that you didn't think they should have kicked Liliana out, that they should have accepted her as their daughter. All too quickly the yelling started. Your parents were appalled to think that you were okay with your sister's behaviour, and you were appalled that they didn't care for her at all. It ended with them threatening to kick you out as well if kept up the behaviour.