Chapter 9

The mirror maze was confusing, as was to be expected of a mirror maze, but there were no other supernatural occurrences that happened whilst you made your way around. With the adrenaline slowly leaving your body, the pain in your hands started to get worse, though you didn't dare let go of Jisung's hand for a second.

It seemed like forever but you eventually caught sight of a doorway, bright sunlight leaking through. You couldn't rush to it fast enough, scared that it would close right before you could escape. But soon you were there, bloody fingers pushing the door open all the way, your body falling through seconds after. You dropped onto your knees, exhaustion sweeping over you. You turned over until you were laying on your back, letting the sunlight warm your face.

"How long were we in there for?" Jisung said, looking up to the sky himself. You were wondering the same thing. It had been the middle of the night when you walked into that building, but now the sun was burning high in the sky.

"I've got no idea. I'm just glad to be out now." You sat up, looking up at Jisung, who was staring at the building. It looked nothing like it had when you first arrived here. It was back to it's original state, decrepit and breaking down, flashing lights and bold signs long gone.

"It's like it never happened." Jisung muttered. "If anyone ever saw this, they would never know what happened inside it."

"Maybe it's better forgotten." You answered softly. You didn't know about Jisung, but what you had gone through in that cursed building wasn't in the least bit pleasant. You didn't even want to think about the things you felt in those rooms.

"Yeah, maybe." Jisung said. His eyes had dried, but his face was still solemn. "Come on, let's get out of here." He reached out a hand to help you get up, which you took gratefully even though your hands screamed in pain.

"Shit." You groaned. "The guards are going to be back now." You realised that with the time shift, the security stationed at the building across the road would have been returned.

"Can't we just sneak out the back?" Jisung said hopefully.

"I wish we could, but they used the empty plots to build more houses. We'd be jumping right into somebodies' backyard." You didn't need to tell him it was pointless to jump over the side walls. They were nearly eight feet of solid concrete, there was no getting over them. The front entrance was the only way in or out. "I think we're just going to have to make a run for it."

"God, I just want to take a nap." Jisung complained, and you felt yourself very similarly inclined.

"Come on, let's go get it over with." You sighed and Jisung nodded. The two of you slowly made your way back through the carnival grounds. This place used to be an escape for you, a place of rest and solace when your mind got too busy. You did not think you would be returning here after this day.

You reached the front gates soon. It was easier to see the dents you'd made in wood from this side, the sun an extra help as well. "We're going to have to jump over at the same time, they're going to start running the second they see us." Jisung nodded, lips pulled together in a tight line. "You use the footholds I've already put in the gate, I've climbed this enough times without them that I'll be fine."

With a quick nod, Jisung took place before the gate. "Alright, on the count of three?" He said, one foot already raised to lift himself over the fence.

"Let's do this." You said, flexing your fingers and ignoring the pain.

"Okay, one... two... three!" Jisung shouted. Like bullets from a gun, the both of you clawed onto the gate, the wood shaking violently as you hauled your limbs up and over the fence. As expected, as soon your heads popped over the top of the gate, the security guards across the road saw you. From there it was a race. Your legs screeched in pain as you hit the cement hard, but you had no time to dwell on it. The guards had spotted you and were already barreling towards you. Jisung's feet hit the ground only seconds after. Simultaneously, the two of you went shooting off down the footpath. Your feet scuffed along the ground, and your heart was pounding in your chest but you didn't stop for a second.