Chapter 10

You watched grimly as the sun slowly sunk beneath the horizon. You wrapped your arms around your legs, trying to generate some warmth. You hadn't expected it to get this cold, but the temperature had been dropping just as quickly as the sun, and your jacket didn't seem to suffice in keeping the cold away.

Herschel's farm was unfortunately not in the middle of a big city, it was where most farms were. In the middle of nowhere. You and Jisung had been trekking through dense thickets of trees and woods for hours now. You'd had to ditch your bikes a while back, the ground too uneven to be able to ride through the trees. You'd left them behind an abandoned building, and without anything to tie them down you simply had to hope that somebody wouldn't take them.

You'd decided to stop walking when it was getting a little too dark to see. You'd found a nice, little clearing, so you decided to set up camp there for the night. You didn't really have much in the way of stuff to set up. Without the bikes all you had was your bags. You eventually pulled out another jumper and put it over your jacket to try and keep yourself warm.

You weren't blessed in the area of dinner either. You had a few sandwiches, packets of ramen and a couple bottles of water. Without anything to boil the ramen in, it was sandwiches for dinner. You laid back on the cold grass, your bag stuffed under your head, and watched the sky as it slowly got darker.

Jisung laid down beside you a few minutes later, the two of you laying in silence for a while as you looked up at the sky, stars slowly sparkling to life.

You heard Jisung take a deep breath, and knew he was debating on whether or not he should say something.

"What happened to you in the mirror maze?" Jisung said quietly. You tensed. You hadn't been expecting him to ask about that. "I'm sorry if that's too personal, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to." You stayed silent for a while. You weren't sure how to answer his question, if you wanted to answer his question at all. What happened in the mirror maze was not something you had any dreams of revisiting, and as close as you had become to Jisung in these last couple of days, you weren't sure if you were ready to share your deepest secrets.

"It's just," Jisung continued, your silence stirring him on to talk more. "In that mirror maze, I went through some dark stuff, Ira said things that I can't forget. Things I know I won't forget. I was not okay, and coming out of that place I don't know if I will be okay for a while. And if you went through anything like I did, then I just want you to know that it's okay and you can talk to me any time you want. Even if we're still practically strangers, nobody is going to understand what we went through except each other." Jisung finished. You hadn't realised but at some point you'd started crying. Stray tears were leaking out your eyes, falling down your face to land in your hair.

"The lies come so easy, I'm afraid I don't know how to stop anymore." You said eventually. Jisung didn't say anything, letting you continue on your own time. "I've grown so accustomed to lying to get what I want that I don't know if I could stop if I tried, and the thought terrifies me." You may not have known Jisung very well, but he was right. In this moment there was nobody that would understand you like he would. After living so many years of deceiving everyone you knew, it was time to let the truth go.

"It started off with just a little story every now and again to get out of assignments or excuses for not doing my homework. But over the years it snowballed. There was a sort of freedom of being completely in control of myself, and knowing nobody had any say over that. But eventually it got a little lonely. I was completely isolated. Nobody really knew me, nobody really wanted to know me. But I was stubborn and scared of admitting my lies so I kept doing it, I kept lying." Your voice was strained, and finally letting all of this out was a lot more emotional than you thought it would have been. But you kept the tears at bay.