Chapter 17

The rain had stopped. Your clothes which had been soaked through were still damp, but at least you could now walk through the forest a little more comfortably. And hopefully it would be the last time.

After leaving behind Invidia's headless body, you and Jisung had made your way through the forest like madmen. Just the thought of finally getting out of the place was enough to fuel the two of you into a spur of determination. You trudged through the trees without rest, only stopping when the sun had long since disappeared from the sky and it was impossible to see in front of you.

You had almost gotten used to sleeping on the forest floor, but you did still dream of warm beds and clean dry clothes. Needless to say, you were nearly crying with joy at the thought of being able to have a shower.

But you couldn't let foolish hope distract you just yet. You still had another challenge to complete, and you still had to remind yourself that there was a possibility that you would not walk out the other side of this challenge.

It didn't stop you from charging through the forest with little rest though. You were determined to make it to the last challenge even if you didn't make it through it. The end was here, whether it was good or bad, you would soon be able to rid yourself of this horrible week.

Using Gula's map, you directed yourselves through the forest, occasionally getting lost or backtracking, but making progress nonetheless. You passed a couple places that seemed vaguely familiar as you walked, and you were half impressed and half horrified that you had spent so long trekking through this forest that it was becoming recognisable.

Eventually you made it. Your heart was hammering in your chest though you couldn't tell if it was exhilaration or nerves. You padded on nonetheless, determination driving your body forward.

The Warriors Wood was like nothing you'd ever experienced, but you weren't surprised by that either. Nothing you had experienced this week had been like anything you'd ever known. There was a certain darkness that blanketed this part of the forest, even though the sun was shining high in the sky, the grey rain clouds long forgotten. The trunks of trees were dark and rough, deep hues of purple and blue embedded in their cracks and branches.

The leaves were so thick that they blocked out any light that may have fought to get through. You remembered the words written on your sword. But only a single soul can navigate the darkness of the woods. You hadn't expected the darkness to be so literal. And you were terrified of the fact that only one of you was supposed to be here. You dreaded what might happen when the final challenge master realised you'd cheated your way out of the last challenge.

Once in the woods though, you weren't quite sure where you were meant to head. The clues on the swords didn't give specifics, just that your destination was in the Warrior's Wood. But the woods stretched on for miles and miles, it might take days for you to find where you were supposed to go. You were purely relying on the hope that you would stumble upon where you needed to be like you had with most of the other challenges.

You were getting restless with all the walking around in circles finding nothing. You were tired and the closeness of the next challenge was wearing your patience thin. You wanted to get it over and done with already, you were sick of waiting.

Then Jisung stopped walking. He had halted so quickly that you nearly ran into the back of him. You peered over his shoulder and saw what had made him freeze. Directly ahead of him was a tree - two trees technically. They were intertwined together, trunks twisting and branches twirling around each other. One tree was the same deep dark blue and purple as the other trees in the forest, though it was much bigger, the trunk thick and sturdy, and the whole thing was swathed in a shiny sheen of what looked spectacularly like starlight.