Chapter 5

You quickly scrambled onto your feet, afraid that the weird swamp creature would zap you dead right there if they thought you were perhaps being rude. Jisung quickly followed, dusting dirt off his jeans.

You weren't sure if there was a proper way to address.. whatever it was that just emerged from the water. "Um... Hi." You eventually said, feeling a little lame.

"Hello little humans." The thing responded, and it's voice had you scrunching your eyes shut. The sound was pitchy and scratchy, and uncannily had you feeling like bugs were crawling all over your skin. "My, oh, my," The thing tutted, "Elariel wasn't joking when he said he caught two good ones." You felt extremely uncomfortable being scrutinized under the eyes - or not-eyes really - of a terrifying swamp creature, but you doubted it wanted to hear your objections.

"E-Elariel said you had a challenge for us?" You stuttered out a sentence, fear making it a little hard for you to speak. The creature made a horrible sound, as if it was indeed recalling what you were speaking of. In reality it sounded like somebody had put a toaster in a shredder.

"Yes, I do believe me and Elariel have made a deal regarding the pair of you," The swamp creature began, "And might I say that I am very excited to see how this plays out." The swamp creature began to move closer to the two of you, and you had half a mind to step back, but it stopped before it got close enough to touch. "You see, humans are very funny little things. Their lives are so short, thousands of them blinking in and out of existence, all in the span of one faerie life. And yet you live so passionately, so freely, even though you have so little time to do so. What I find most peculiar about you little mortals is how foolish you are."

You thought that was quite a rude thing to say, and you very much wanted to just find out what the challenge was without all of this random chatter, but you did not dare interrupt the creature. That's when the creature pulled one gangly stick arm out of the water, trails of swamp gunk hanging off of it. It slowly trailed its hand to the top of its head and twirling a finger around a reed that was sprouting out of it. When it pulled its hand away, a reed stood no longer, a piece of silky, shining hair laying in it's place. Your eyes boggled.

"There is something so enticing about being able to bend a mortal to my whims," the creature began to run both hands through it's hair, algae, reeds and moss turning into sheets of beautiful, long, wine-coloured hair, "Seeing as their eyes deceive them and their body betrays them," The creature then began to run its hand up and down it's other arm, the sticks swelling, filling out and smoothing out until it was soft and supple, until it looked like skin. "It's a power you would never understand."

The creature continued this game, its hand slowly moving over it's torso, leaving gorgeous skin in its wake. When finished with its arms and chest, its hands slowly moved up over it's face, first creating a pair of plump lips that smirked at you as you watched in amazement, then a nose, perfectly curved and shaped, but when it moved its hands from it's eyes was when you let out a gasp. Gorgeous eyes, the richest blue you'd ever seen blinked back at you.

The swamp creature was gone, a lady, resplendent and alluring standing in it's place. The lady was so captivating that it was impossible for you to look away from those glinting eyes of hers.

"My challenge for you is terribly simple." The woman spoke, the terrible scratching noise from before was gone as well. Now the woman spoke words as beautiful as songs, each word pouring over you like honey. "There is only one thing I request of you. It appears as if something had gotten stuck down in the bottom of my swamp. Be a dear and retrieve it for me?" She asked, and you could only answer in a soft sigh. When she looked at you with those eyes of hers, there was nothing you could do to deny her request, not that any part of you wished to. No, you now belonged completely and wholly to this woman and you would do whatever she asked of you.