Chapter 16

Whatever happiness you'd felt after leaving Acedia's treehouse was washed away with the rain. You were once again soaked down to your underwear, and you were relentlessly tired of the feeling. The rain still pelted down unapologetically. You were half convinced the fae were controlling the weather just to make you as miserable as they could.

You did as Acedia had instructed though, and walked off towards the east. It was a little difficult to navigate your way, seeing as the sun was hard to see through the thick flurry of grey clouds. But it was the only way you could tell which way east was.

It appeared as if your efforts had been worth it though, as you soon walked into what was undoubtedly the setting for your next ghastly challenge. You had walked into a break in the trees, though you were expecting to see a large expanse of green grass, you were horrifically surprised to see that the floor was instead made up of about a hundred tree stumps. It was as if someone had come through this part of the forest with a massive axe, felling all the trees in about a three hundred metre radius.

To account for the uneven floor, there was a wooden platform, likely made from the wood of all the fallen trees, precariously placed over the middle portion of the tree stumps. There was a set of stairs leading to the platform, and someone standing right at the foot of the stairs.

Suddenly you wished you were back in the company of Acedia, as infuriating as he was. The faerie waiting for you at the bottom of those steps was tall, likely nearing seven foot, and his thick muscular frame was covered in intricately shaped armour. A matching helmet was tucked under one arm, allowing the faerie to smile down at you and Jisung with a grizzly grin, A ghastly scar stretching from forehead to chin adorned the side of his face.

His long air was braided back in various places, bits of leather or metal medallions tied within. He looked like a perfect faerie warrior. Tall, dark, intimidating and terrifying. Hanging by his side in a leather sheath was a sword that was longer than your arm.

You froze where you stood, the hairs on your neck pricking up with the look the faerie bestowed upon you and Jisung.

"I see you've made it." The faerie's dark voice rumbled like thunder, matching his stormy expression and dark grin. "Invidia. Pleased to make your acquaintance." He didn't say much, but it was enough to make your body tense all over.

He then stepped to the side, and stretched his arm out in a sweeping gesture. He was inviting you onto the wooden platform. You stood there and did nothing but stare at him for a few seconds, fear paralyzing you. The rain slid down your neck uncomfortably, but it was the last thing on your mind.

In the end, it was Jisung that walked first, clutching your hand and lightly tugging you along behind him. Your entire body trembled as you passed Invidia, his steely gaze not leaving your shaking form for a second. Up close you could see that his armour was dented in places, scratches and grazes adorning the plates from all over. The sight only made another strike of fear shoot through you. Damaged armour meant it was frequently used.

You and Jisung scrambled onto the platform, feet slapping against the wet wood. With the way the trees had been taken out, it meant there was nothing between you and the sky, giving the rain free reign to pelt down unforgivingly.

Invidia joined the two of you on the platform, dropping his helmet on the edge of the platform with a loud clang, gesturing for the pair of you to put your bags down. You obeyed quickly.

He towered over both you and Jisung, stalking past the two of you to stand on the edge of the opposite side of the platform. His tall form bent down to retrieve something, and when he stood again he was clutching a sword in each hand. They were considerably shorter than the one he had strapped to his side, but the sharp edges still glinted menacingly.