The Unexpected Breath

"It's a girl." She heard a voice with an accent declare from above her. Murmurs of shock filled the air, and she refused to open her eyes. She didn't want them, whoever they were, to know that she was awake. Her 'unconsciousness' could very well be her only security at this time. 

       She took the opportunity to try and remember anything before this, and it startled her that she couldn't. She could remember different ways in which the world worked, but nothing that could be associated with anything close to a memory.

A clock ticking, people laughing, a train leaving its station. She was aware of what all of these things were, and she could picture them so clearly in her mind, but not enough to call them memories.

 She frantically searched her brain for any sign of her life before this, any sign of her life now. All she got was a word. No, not a word. A name. Her name. 

        River.

        It repeated itself over and over again in her mind, echoing in the darkness that should have held details of her life before. Suddenly, the murmurs from above stopped.

        "Is - is she alive?" A voice rang out from her left. River flinched at the question and heard paper crinkle from her right hand when she clenched her fist. Someone must have heard the noise as well because she heard a chuckle.

        "I think she is." The accent flowed through River's ears, she couldn't place where it was from but she knew he spoke differently from the person who was speaking prior. She felt the ground shake as someone jumped down to the same level as her, and it took everything in her to not jump up and defend herself. 

        "We know you're awake, it's okay. You can open your eyes." He said in a quieter, almost gentle, voice. Hoping she wouldn't soon regret it, River slowly opened her eyes revealing the face that belonged to the accent. A boy, no older than seventeen, with blond shaggy hair stood above River, smiling down at her. He reached his hand out for her to take, and she shakily reached forward to accept his offer. She groaned slightly and realized how sore her body was, it was as if she had been hit by a truck. Then she remembered the paper in her hand, and apparently, the boy did too.

        "What's in your hand?" He took the paper from River's and stared at it intently, reading whatever was on the slip. He looked up at her, his eyes changing from curiosity to shock almost instantaneously.

        It was then that the reality of the situation sank in. River's heart started to pound as she flicked her eyes around her. She appeared to be in a rusty, metal elevator. The roof had been opened and a group of boys looked on from above, their faces peering down with an intense curiosity. Beyond them she could see a clear blue sky.

        "We need to talk to Alby." The blond said to no one in particular, but everybody listened. River didn't know who this "Alby" was, and she was almost certain she didn't want to find out.

        "Where am I?" River asked, her voice cracking as panic set in. 

        "Let's get you out of the box first, then we'll explain." The boy looked out of it. Whatever was written on the paper startled him, and she had a sinking feeling that it was about her.

       She was slowly lifted out of the elevator, and then stood on a field of grass surrounded by four huge walls. River whipped her head back and forth so fast she was slightly worried that she'd get whiplash. The boys started to crowd around her, shouting out things she didn't want to hear.

        "I call dibs!"

        "She's gonna be a slopper, she is."

        "Look at that scared little shank!"

        Shank? Slopper? River tried to identify the vocabulary but found herself unable to. Whether it was because the words were foreign, or her mind wasn't in the right state to think, she didn't know. The bodies got uncomfortably close, so she pushed a few away with a grunt and stood shaking in front of the group.

        "What is this place?!" River's voice was strong and loud as she pointed backward forcefully. "Why am I here?"

        "Alby will explain that later" The blond one reached out for her wrist, but she pulled it back.

        "No, you're going to explain now." River demanded. Some looked at her as if she was crazy, but others seemed to sympathize with her. As if they had been through this before and knew how she felt.

        "Is this our new greenie?" A boy with dark skin walked up behind the blond one. He looked older, probably about eighteen. "I'm Alby. Don't bother running, you won't get very far."

"Why not? Why should I even trust you?" River took a step backward, mentally preparing herself to run. If these boys were going to try anything, she was going to make sure that she had a head start. Even if they weren't, she didn't want to be immediately written off as weak because she was a girl. She wanted to be viewed as strong, and someone you shouldn't mess with. Seeing as there was a giant group of teenage boys in front of her, this seemed like the best option.

        "Alby?" The blond spoke up.

        "Not now Newt." Alby brushed him off.

        "Alby!" Newt said with more force. With a pissed off expression, Alby turned around to face the blond, raising his eyebrows intently. Newt handed him the note, and Alby read the words out loud.

        "She's the last one. Ever."

_____________________________________________

A/N: So I haven't written anything in a really long time so I'm a bit rusty. I have a hard time keeping up with stories and continuing to write them, but this will not be one of those times. So yeah, I'll be updating soon! I really hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

Minho will be in the next chapter I promise. 

I have a pretty good idea of where I want this story to go. I also think that I want to make this a series and do tst and tdc as well!

The chapters will be longer than this, it's just that that is where I was planning on ending the chapter before I even began to write it.

Thanks for reading!!!

- Marin