𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓 | 𝑬𝒅𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅 |

While Peter was fighting western invaders and Susan was visiting their southern neighbours, Edmund made his way to Doorn on the largest warship they had

While Peter was fighting western invaders and Susan was visiting their southern neighbours, Edmund made his way to Doorn on the largest warship they had. It was a good thing that he and Peter chose to switch places, it took him nearly a month just getting to the Lone Islands. First, he chose to make a stop at Galma, there were some trade negotiations to take care of and he thought handling those in person was the best choice. He got to the island the morning after he had left, for it was relatively close by, and he was welcomed with a feast and a tournament. He participated in both and did very well on the tournament considering all his opponents were older than him.

They found favourable wind after the fourth day and arrived at Terebinthia three days later. There, Edmund was invited to yet another feast by the King, where the Lord of Terebinthia shared proudly the story of how they had fought off Calormen conquerors and remained an independent country. On the sixth day, desirable wind allowed them to set sail to The Lone Islands and they left with their ship full of fresh supplies, and seven days later they finally arrived at Doorn.

He was greeted as one would expect, a large welcome party, islanders cheering and waving as the King of Narnia and his companions rode by. He found the Governor's family, his wife, daughters and son, waiting at the small castle where they resided and they welcomed him cordially. After offering his condolences to Lord Rhom's family he was invited inside.  Edmund immediately understood that the late Governor's son, Lord Jared, had too much support behind him and that choosing someone else for the job or leaving someone to govern while he and Peter considered who to choose would simply be too problematic. There were contenders for the office, wiser, more experienced Lords who had served under Governor Rhom or who coveted his position and considered Jared too young for the office. But although all of this was true, after spending time with the Lords and hearing their reasoning for why they would make better Governor, Edmund considered they were after the job and the power it came with. Jared, on the other hand, seemed to take it as a responsibility. He wanted the job, not because of all the privileges it entailed, but because he considered it his duty to continue his father's work.

"Lord Jared is the best option," Edmund said to Peridan on the fourth morning since their arrival. He had considered all the options and was ready to make a decision. Jared seemed competent enough, he wasn't dull like some of the Lords, and Edmund found him a pleasant lad.

"But does Your Majesty think it is wise to discard the other Lords? Won't they upset over your choosing the youngest contender?" Peridan asked.

"They very well might, but they'll upset no matter who I choose. And I do believe Lord Jared will make for a good Governor. Titles or gifts should keep the other Lords content, not everyone can have their way. In any case, this is not a hereditary office, if he does not perform adequately, my brother can always dispose of him and choose someone else for the office. Anyway, we should be making our way back to Cair Paravel. We have been away far too long considering the circumstances. With Susan and Peter gone it worries me something might happen,"