𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟒 | 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔' 𝒒𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒍 |

"Careful with the trenches," Peter said to her as they approached them, huge trenches dug behind the treeline, wide and deep, deep enough to entrap a giant.

Imira hadn't noticed them until he pointed them out, what she thought were bushes once examined closely turned out to be heads, heads of all the Ettins who had fallen into the trenches and impaled themselves on big sharp wooden pikes.

Peter led her to the large wooden planks the Narnians had placed at uneven intervals to create bridges for all to cross.

"That was a good idea," Imira commented, walking behind Peter on the narrow wooden bridge.

"It was Ellexis's idea, My Lady," Derrick said from behind her.

She nearly lost her balance. Her jaw clenched and she cursed in her mind, but she took a deep breath and put all her efforts into sounding happy. "Clever,"

That was all the compliment she could manage.

She kept walking with her head held high trying not to let any emotion slip and made it across the wooden planks.

Derrick continued, oblivious to the Queen's displeasure. "Indeed. She thought they might protect us if they launched a surprise attack,"

"Then it was a good idea to have these trenches dug," Imira replied, commending the woman she saw as the enemy without looking at her and ending the conversation.

Peter sensed his wife's discomfort and decided it was best to discuss something else. "We had the ballistae set up way in the back," he pointed south-east, "and caltrops, mind them," he pointed them out as well, large iron caltrops the size of wine barrels. "They worked brilliantly, just like we expected,"

"I told you they would," she smiled knowingly.

"Did we suffer any losses?" Imira asked, stopping next to a giant.

She could see they had won, but at what cost? Perhaps she shouldn't have stopped to take a break in Wolfstrenk before going to Firestream's mountain.

"Very few," he replied. "I haven't received the count yet, but-"

They heard a grunt from behind them and turned to see the giant stir.

Peter and Derrick got out their swords.

"Imira, stay back," Peter said.

"Your majesty!" "Watch out!" Derrick and Ellexis exclaimed, but that only annoyed Imira.

I don't need her concern, I can take care of myself. Did she not see me take down all those giants back there?

She ignored the pain from her right hand as well and those who cautioned her against it, grasped her lance, turned around, and attacked the giant. Before he could regain his senses, she drove her lance through his neck, right through the soft skin below his filthy ear, the point that allowed the easiest access to his cerebellum. His mortal coil ended.

She said nothing as she took out the lance, ignoring the throbbing pain on her right hand and turned around to find them, and a few others, staring at her.

That ought to show her.

"Is the camp nearby? I'm starving,"

They walked through the woods and walked and walked and walked until they reached the camp.

Now, inside their tent and safe from prying eyes, she kissed him. She kissed him deeply and then she hugged him, relieved to be back in his arms, both of them safe, and then... then she punched him.