𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 |

IMIRA

IMIRA

I have no interest in seeing Prince Rabadash best any of our fighters in combat, still, I must attend the tourney. I'd much rather be making preparations for war, but Peter insisted.

"We have to entertain our guest" "He can't think we are too preoccupied," Blah, blah, blah.

I suppose he's right. Rabadash already knows more than I'd like him to, no need to alert him of just how precarious our situation is. And since it was Peter who extended the invitation that has brought him here, it is only right I attend with him. 

"Try looking less cold," Peter whispers to me as Rabadash and his curved blades enter the arena, receiving cheers from the crowd and some applause from Susan. Oh, he must be loving this. 

"Excuse me if I do not look forward to cheering for the man I wish would loose," 

"Just pretend," he whispers. 

Easier said than done. 

After a few hours and several matches, it all comes down to Prince Rabadash and, wait for it, Eurybe. I've never been prouder of her. Seeing as how Sir Roes was one of the participants I thought she was bound to lose (have you met him? he's huge!), but no. Prince Rabadash managed to defeat him somehow and now it's him against her. Even I was a little impressed by that feat. But before Peter can give the okay for the final match to begin, Prince Rabadash speaks up. 

"Your majesties," he addresses us, "fair lady," he addresses Susan, "for my honour I cannot in good conscience bring myself to fight and purposely bring harm to a woman," 

What's this?! I turn to Peter but he is looking at Rabadash. I turn to Lucy and we exchange a confused look. Edmund looks intrigued, and I cannot assess Susan's reaction because Edmund's blocking her. 

"Which is why if it is her whom I must fight, I must forfeit," 

What?! I'm sorry, but I cannot remain quiet.

"You refuse to fight a knight?" I ask him, careful to keep my tone polite.

"I refuse to fight a lady," Rabadash replies. "I apologize if I offend your honour," he turns to Eurybe, "but mine prevents me from fighting this day. It would go against everything I stand for. I am aware things here in the northern countries may be different, but where I come from it is unheard of, men bringing harm to women for sport. I have seen you would be a most worthy opponent, and I have no doubt our striking of swords would bring great entertainment to all those present, but may Taash strike me down if ever for the sake of pride and personal benefit I find myself causing to any woman. Kight or not,"

I've got to give it to him, that was perfectly well worded. If Susan wasn't impressed by his fighting, she must be impressed by this little speech of his. I know I am. Huh. How about that. Even Alcibe herself looks a little impressed.