𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 | 𝑫𝒐 𝑰 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒊𝒄𝒆? |

F A L L   1 0 0 3

F A L L   1 0 0 3

"Good morning, Imira," Edmund greets me as he enters the dining hall. "And may I just say you look particularly beautiful today," 

"Thank you," I reply. Hmm, how pleasant from Ed. He must want something. 

He goes on around the table siblings and then returns to face me once more.

"So, Imira, how are you? Did you have a good day?" Edmund asks.

"It has only started, but yes." Where is he going with this?

"That's great. That's great," he goes around the table greeting his siblings and once he's finished he turns his attention to Peter and I. "So I have some news,"

"Good news of bad news?" Peter asks as the dessert is being served. Apple pastries, Lucy's favourite.

"I think they're good. But someone," he says looking at me, "might disagree,"

"What sort of news are we talking about?" I ask suspiciously. 

"Remember how Lord Remont was not very pleased with our trade agreement with Terebinthia?" Edmund asks us.

"Yes," I said. The deal did not include Galma and therefore did not benefit their economy. And so, of course, they retaliated upping the taxes on their most important Narnian imports.

"Well I am glad to say that I sorted it out and the taxes are gone," he announces proudly.

"Fantastic Ed! Well done," Peter says. "Well done,"

"However did you manage that?" Susan asks pleasantly surprised.

"And why might I not like this? This is great news," I ask.

"Because, well the negotiations involved a bit of compromising from our side," Ed says.

"Compromising how?" I ask her.

"They want me to marry the Duke's daughter," Edmund says.

"What? That's ridiculous!" Edmund, married? No. No no no no and no. He's a sixteen-year-old boy, he can't be married. "You can't do that. What did you say?"

"Oh, I declined. I am not marrying anyone anytime soon," Oh, thank Aslan. "But it didn't sit very well with them so we have to do something else," he says. "It was suggested, and I do believe it is the best option, that the Duke's daughter and niece be made ladies-in-waiting to Narnia's Queens. Particularly yours and Susan's,"

What?! "But the Duke's niece is... Danielle,"

"I call for the Duke's daughter," Susan says beating me to it.

"No! nO, Susan, please," I protest.

"Too slow, Imira," Susan says.

"Why does it have to be me?" I ask him.