Chapter 9:Stay With Me

It took me a minute to adjust to the bright lights above my head. I could hear the beeping machine and the news playing lightly. I opened my eyes fully, looking over and seeing the cords connected to my arm. I was covered in a hospital gown and a plain white blanket. I looked up at the TV, the news was on. There was a picture of me during my show in London and a picture of Lashawn while he was in the studio. I read the captions.

Popular rapper and producer Lashawn James, better know as Tupac was booked today for the beating of his superstar girlfriend Jamila Stevens at the Death Row headquarters earlier today at Los Angeles County Jail. Tupac and Jamila have been together for a year and recently became engaged. Tupac's bail has been set and Jamila remains in critical condition

It then flashed to a video of Suge and Lashawn's lawyer walking out of the jail, cameras and microphones being forced into their faces. Suge looked pissed and Lashawn's lawyer had a straight face. I wanted to turn off the news so I wouldn't see how much of a mess I became. There were pictures of me stumbling out of hotels and night clubs. Close up shots of bruises and marks on my body. Zoomed in pictures of a black eye that wasn't completely covered by my sunglasses. The reporter continued to talk

Stevens recently left her One In a Million World tour in which speculation of her relationship with James started to surface. Many believed that Stevens was being abused by her now fiancee James. Stevens recently addressed all speculations at a press conference 3 months ago, stating that James has never put his hands on her and that they were happy

My attention was pulled away from the TV when I jolly nurse walked in, humming. "Oh Hi Miss Stevens, it's nice to see that you're up. How are you feeling"she said. I wanted to say, "Oh me, I feel fine. Just the hundredth beating from my fiancee that almost killed me. I'm totally fine". But since I was nice, I did otherwise. "I feel fine"I said, my voice coming out low and raspy.

"I guess we need some water"she said reaching over on the nightstand and grabbing a cup of water with a straw. "Take a sip sweetie"she said. I reluctantly took a sip from the straw, letting the ice cold water slip down my throat. "Do you feel better"she said holding the cup. I nodded, "Great"I said, my voice sounding a little more me.

She smiled, obviously satisfied with her job. "Well since you're awake, would you like to see your husband"she said. I was confused, husband. "Wait, my husband"I said. "Yes, he was a nice man. Tall and brown skin. We was really hoping to see you when you woke up"she said.

I thought about it. Tall and brown skin. Then it clicked, Devante. "Yes please, I would like to see him"I said. She nodded and left the room.

I looked ahead at the TV, still seeing me and Lashawn's pictures. I then heard a knock on the door, looking over and seeing the nurse. "Miss Stevens,you husband is here"she said. Devante shyly stood behind her, shoving his hands in his pockets. He always did that when he was nervous.

"Thank you"I said lightly. "I'll leave you guys alone"she said, walking out of the room and closing the door. He slowly walked to my bedside, sitting down in the chair. He looked ahead at the TV, watching the news. I looked forward with him, seeing Lashawn's mugshot.

His face looked horrible. He bloody and bruised, probably similar to how I look right now. They were still talking about how Lashawn was facing serious time and how there were other charges against him. In the midst of all of this, they were showing my less flattering pictures. I hated that Devante had to see me like this.

Not only in this hospital bed but on the TV, obviously drunk or high. I looked down, playing with my fingers. "I wish those people could see the real you, see how you really are"he mumbled. That just made me feel worse. That wasn't who I am and Devante knew that.