Chapter 24:Get It Together

Ro's Dress

Ro's Dress

Jamila's Dress

Jamila's Dress

Today was Ro's wedding, a day that was supposed to be celebrating Ro and Dalvin. Everyone around me was happy, enjoying Ro. Me, I was sitting at my vanity trying to to reach for the bottle of champagne on the other side of the room. It's been a few days since Devante left and I hadn't talked to him since. I was really trying to not think about him and focus on Ro's big day but it was pretty hard.

I just wanted to get through this day without sobbing. "Girl, why aren't you in your dress. We got a wedding to do in less than 15 minutes"Ro said, walking up to me in her dress. She looked beautiful. "Oh my god Ro, you look beautiful"I said. "Well I try"she said, flipping her curly hair that ran down her back. I could cry right now.

Both happy and sad tears. I fanned my eyes, trying not to mess up my makeup. "Aww Mila,why are you crying"she said. "I can't believe you're getting married before me"I said as she laughed. "I know, I can't believe it either"she said.

"But really Ro, you have a beautiful daughter, a wonderful soon to be husband, you have everything. I'm really happy for you"I said wiping my eyes. "Thank you girl but trust me, when you work all this stuff out with Devante, you'll be in this dress with a little girl on your hip"she said wiping my tears. I sat back down, looking at myself in the mirror. "I don't know Ro, I think it's really the end for me and Devante"I said. "Jamila, I love you but you can't be mad about a man wanting to take care of his responsibilities. I wish Dalvin was like that when I first got pregnant"Ro said.

I shot her a glare. "All I'm saying is, you gotta respect him for wanting to take care of his child, no matter who the mother is"she said. I looked down, playing with my fingers. "Now get up and put on your dress, I gotta get married soon"she said patting my shoulder before tending to Esme who was struggling to put on her little flower girl dress. I grabbed my dress and went into the dressing room, changing into my maid of honor dress. A few minutes later, it was time to get in position.

Ro's wedding was on the patio of the reception hall she was having her reception in. We got to the doors, getting into our positions. I was waiting for the best man to meet me by the door. A few minutes later, I felt Devante's hand slip into mine. I flinched slightly.

"Please, can we just look happy for one day"he whispered in my ear. I nodded as I clutched my bouquet. It was time to walk now. I intertwined my arm with his as we walked out down the aisle. I put on my best smile.

Nobody besides Ro and maybe Dalvin knew that me and Devante weren't together. Nobody knew. So today, we had to act like the happiest couple in the world. We got to the end of aisle and Devante stood next to Dalvin, I went to my side. The other bridesmaids and groomsmen walked down.

Ro's aunt walked down the aisle with Esme who was throwing flower petals out of the small basket she was carrying. Then there was Ro, walking down the aisle with her uncle. Both me and Ro bonded over something, our parents. Ro was born to two teenage junkies which eventually led to her aunt and uncle taking care of her as a baby. Since then, her aunt and uncle have been her parents.

I could see Dalvin holding back tears as Esme held on to his leg. Ro was forcing back her tears. The ceremony went on and we were headed to the reception. Things were going great. Ro and Dalvin were happy, me and Devante were acting like everything was fine. I was sitting with the wedding party, talking with Tiffany when I saw someone walk in.

I looked closer and saw Kim, wearing a long sundress that covered her baby bump. Tiffany was talking in my ear but I wasn't listening. I then saw Devante get up, going over to her and hugging her. They stayed like that for a long time before pulling away. The both sat down at a table and started talking.

They were laughing and talking. They seemed to be having a genuine conversation. I couldn't bare to look at them any longer. I got up and headed out to the patio, snagging a glass of champagne in the process. I sat down by the doors, looking out into the distance.

This is really the time where a cigarette would be helpful but I didn't have one. I don't even know why I picked up the freaking glass. I wasn't gonna let Devante is his baby mama ruin this thing that took a lot out of me to do. But the smell of the champagne was tempting. It was like it was calling me to take a small sip.

I've been sober for six months, a little glass of champagne won't hurt me. I put the glass to my lips and gulped it down.I Sat there for a little bit, putting the glass next to me. See, that didn't hurt. "Jamila, there you are. Tiffany was worried, you just left out of nowhere"Ro said walking up to me.

"Sorry, I just needed some air"I said, trying to hide the champagne breath. "I saw Kim out there, how are you feeling"she said, sitting next to me. "I'm fine to be honest. I understand, he has a baby and he needs to take care of it"I said, picking with my nails. All the words coming out of my mouth was a bunch of BS. I didn't want Devante to take care of that baby, I wanted him to stay with me and he could take care of our babies.

I don't care how selfish it sounds. I heard her sniffing, she got closer to me. "What"I said. "What is that smell"she said. Dangit, my breath.

"What do you mean"I said. "Jamila, have you been drinking"she said. "No, you know I'm sober"I said. She got up, looking to my side. She picked up the glass I drank out of.

"Jamila are you serious"she said. I sighed, "Ro, I've been sober for six months. A small glass of champagne isn't gonna change anything. And plus, with the kinda week I had. I need a drink"I said. "Jamila look, you're grown and I can't tell you what to do but this whole Kim and Devante thing is not worth your sobriety"she said. "Yea, you say that when the only man you've ever really cared about get's a slut pregnant. All the while you're dealing with a bunch of crap. Say that when that happens to you. You just got married and have a whole child now. My dream husband now has a baby with stripper. A drink is needed"I said wiping my eyes. "Jamila, I'm not gonna sit here and watch you ruin yourself with this"she said. 'Well don't watch, you can just leave. Leave me alone right here"I said. She sniffed and left, walking back into the reception hall. Can my life get any worse than what it is now.