nine

It's been two days since Jungkook last talked with Seungcheol, one day since Taehyung returned from God-knows-where-he-went. Yesterday, Taehyung came back to school a lot better than when he was two days before. The same could—would—be said for today, however, he seemed to be slightly off and not his usual self.

His friends had noticed many things from him as he approached the table during this recess time: One, he had dyed his hair back to black. Two, he looks slightly healthier from three days ago, yet it couldn't be said the same for yesterday—it was neutral more or less. And three, he doesn't look too well.

Taehyung takes the empty space next to Jungkook, avoiding any eye contact from his friends and trying to ignore the six gazes of concern that were darted towards him.

His arrival had brought the group to silence. Unintentional silence to say, but they couldn't help but worry for their friend who didn't look like his happy self, especially since they weren't used to him being like this.

"Taehyung, is everything all right?" Jimin decided to ask the question on behalf of everyone, knowing that he's probably getting tired of answering these repeated questions of concern.

Taehyung simply nods, still avoiding any contact. "I'm fine guys. Just a little stressed and a little out of it."

That reply was convincing enough—notably better than the last excuses that Taehyung has been giving them—to allow the others to let him be and to continue on with their conversation. It also had convinced Jungkook for a little bit, but not fully; around eighty percent per se.

Jungkook could tell that Taehyung was speaking the truth—though him saying that he was all right was obviously a lie—but he could also tell that it wasn't the full truth. He was still hiding something, keeping whatever he had in his mind all to himself, but he decided not to pester him with questions and to just let him be for now.

Friday came by and Taehyung was still in the same state. Even when his friends try to make him laugh, it wasn't the same laugh as before. They could tell that something had happened, something crucial that had made him like this, but they just didn't know what it was which made them worry. Taehyung wasn't saying anything to them about it and they didn't know what to do but to just lighten the mood if they could.

Around dismissal time is when Taehyung approached Jungkook and asked him if he could come to his house tomorrow. The latter thought about his schedule for the said day before nodding his head in agreement.

Like a gentle breeze passing through rustling trees did Saturday come so quickly.

Jungkook had finally arrived at the Kims' household a few minutes earlier than planned. Standing outside the door, he pulls his shirt down before pressing the doorbell and waiting for someone to answer it.

Taehyung had called him over the day before, however, he doesn't know the exact reason why—other than the fact that he wanted Jungkook to come of course—but he had a feeling that he wanted to talk to him about something important.

And maybe Jungkook had the slightest idea of what this was about.

A few low footsteps were heard behind the door, approaching as it got louder and louder by the next few seconds before it came to a stop. Locks were unlocked, the door finally opens, revealing a woman who was probably around her forties, but looks as if she was just around her twenties. She was slightly smaller than Jungkook which was why she tilted her head slightly up to meet his gaze. She smiled at him with a nice little grin, one that would bring in a good feeling to about anyone.

"Hello Jungkook dear," the woman greets the younger male. "It's been a while."

"Hello Mrs. Kim," Jungkook bows at her.