Chapter 2

"A hospital ?..."

I asked out loud as I looked down the dark corridor , lit only by the small numbers on the side of each door and void of all people yet feeling crowded by presences.

A eerie feeling crept up my spine as I glanced around, my feet not daring to take a step any further into this place. The harsh  coldness made a chill run down my spine.

This place is freezing...

Clutching my jacket tighter, I watched my cold breath disappear into the air. The strong smell of medicine stung my nose, making me cover it with my hand on reflex.

I can't stay here ...

It took all my willpower to push my feet forward, each step I took feeling heavier than the previous. No matter how long I walked forward, the corridor seemed to go on forever. The only thing that told me I wasn't walking in a closed loop was the neon numbers on the side of the doors. Though I didn't even bother to read them.

They where all read 236 anyway.

Did this number have any significance?...
I don't know.
I was too blinded by fear to even care if it was the lotto numbers written on it.

Rule 1.
Don't look back...
There's always something there

Rule 2.
Never stop walking even if you see something or someone you know, it'll probably try to eat your face ...

Rule 3.
Well....it's more of a personal thing....but I never look at the people that appear in my "dreams" faces, for more than a minute...they always shift or their features will disappear, leaving nothing but a blank skin ... And it's not really the most pretty sight...

These of course, were the few things I learned to do after years of constantly jolting awake because of it.

Despite there being nobody but me around, I still couldn't find the courage to open one of the doors even though i probbly should. After all, I've pretty much been walking in a closed loop for a few minutes now.

Abruptly, I stopped my movements, completely ignoring my own second rule and the punishment was almost directly after.

The lights that once lit up the corridor were completely shattered one by one in a row. Leaving me no time to think as I quickly pushed open the door to a room in a poorly thought out attempt to save myself. Thankfully, unlike most in my dreams, it was open.
Usually they would be closed but I guess I'm allowed to have this false sense of security for now.

Back still against the door, I tried my best to steady my racing heart. The last time this happened I had a mild seizure.

"Breathe...breathe.....it's all just a dream...." I said as I placed my hand over my heart, trying to calm it down.

Slowly, a creak came from a few spaces in front of me.
Making me direct my attention ahead of me, the operation light that sat above the bed instantly switching on to illuminate it on cue.

Only thing is...

The bed wasn't empty...