Chapter 19

"Lie"

My eyes quickly shot upwards from the vintage clock to scan the surrounding area, all of my efforts still in vain as I was unable to pinpoint the origin of the voice that had infiltrated my eardrums and made my thoughts halt. I tried to listen for any sort of sound to signify that somebody other than me was present but none could be heard. The owner seemed to vanish as quickly as they appeared. Nothing but my unsteady breathing filled the room.

Could I have imagined it?....

No

I know what I heard...

There was no denying that someone had whispered the phrase "lie" into my ear. Whoever they were was just no longer present in the cabin. The more time I spend questioning my senses, the more it feels as if I'm slowly going crazy the more time I spend in this confined space.

But questioning my own memory won't help...

If anything I'll begin to doubt myself, which is the worst thing I could possibly do right. In a place where I can't trust anyone, it's best not to second guess myself. This place has a history of messing with my head after all.

It's better not to let it get to me

My thoughts were interrupted by the doorknob turning, creating a sharp squeaking sound that bounced off the walls and made me redirect my attention towards it. On reflex, I grabbed a shard of broken glass from the clock and swung my body to face the wooden door. If whoever was on the other side chose to attack me I'll just jab a hole into their skull.

The shard of glass remained pointed upward towards the door, ready to be thrown or plunged into whoever stepped out from the other side. The glass began to cut my palm due to the amount of pressure put on it. Pain began to shoot through my hand as small red droplets of blood slid down my skin. Right now the pain my palm was the lowest on my list of concerns. Staying alive until I woke up in reality being my only goal. Ignoring the sweat that began to trail down my forehead, my eyes remained fixated on the door.

It slowly began to creak open, the shadow of the individual on the other side beginning to creep into the room. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat and got ready to stab whoever it was, my breathing speeding up as I waited in anticipation for them to enter.

Taehyung.

His form slowly stepped into the room, a confused expression painting his features. My current state must have come as a surprise to him as he stared at my form.

"(Y/n), why are you wondering around the ship alone, it's dangerous" Taehyung asked, stepping further into the room and abruptly stopping a few spaces in front of me. His eyes landing on the red liquid that streamed out of my palm.

"I'm fine Taehyung, I can take care of myself" I deadpanned, lowering the glass to my side. He might think he's got me under his spell but there's no way I trust him. Exploring the ship without him was a short lived opportunity. There's just something about him that doesn't sit well with me.

"Yah! Your hurt!" Taehyung spoke, taking my palms into his hands and examining them. Blood streamed down my fingers and fell onto the red carpet that stood underneath our feet. Despite how severe the wound looked it didn't hurt as much as you'd think. A mild prick was all I felt which contradicted the size of the gash.

"It looks worse than what it feels, really" I shot back, pulling my hand from his grasp. I watched as hurt flashed across his face. He seems easily offended by my actions but that can't be helped. If I cared about everyone's feelings, I wouldn't survive. The world is a cruel place were only the fittest remain.