Chapter 12

"Run"

She spoke, her voice horse as blood began to pool from the corners of her mouth, the red liquid dripping downwards onto the ragged white dress that has seen better days.

Run

Her words played on repeat like a broken record in my mind. The red substance still continuing to drip from her mouth and slowly stain the ground underneath her feet.
Her form seemed to twitch and tremble as cracking noises could be heard with every breath she took.

I stared at her.
My body was unable to move no matter how much I tried. My mind kept urging me to speak...to ask her what she meant when she told me to run.

But I could only think of one reason...

It was nearby..

My heartbeat increased as I placed my hand over my chest to try and physically force it to stop. Small beads of sweat began to fall from my face as I used my other free hand to cover my mouth to prevent myself from screaming.

But it's still no use.

My heartbeat only escalated as my breathing became more and more uneven. Even my vision started to become blurry. I was extremely close to blacking out and I wasn't even sure what caused it.

Yes... I was scared of what was both behind and front of me, but not that scared to the point were I would black out because of it. Me blacking out in a dream would usually result in me jolting awake but it changed recently. Sometimes I'd have a panic attack or nearly suffocate instead of waking up like I normally do. It's like the after effects of my condition got worse over time.

The girl just stood there, not moving from her spot as more blood began to pool from her mouth, the chains around her neck and limbs visibly tightening to the point where they started to bleed and a few "crack" sounds were heard. Her bones shot out from her flesh and continued to pierce the skin to make a even bigger wound.

I fought the urge to shut my eyes as I watched the whole situation unfold. The volume of the ear piercing scream that sounded exactly like me only increasing with every ivory bone that shot through her skin. I couldn't turn around or shut my eyes to prevent myself from seeing the scene in front of me. If I did, I was most likely going to die. Me shutting my eyes around anything I felt threatened by always ended badly.

But I can't watch anymore...

I shut my eyes, waiting patiently for death to embrace me. I wasn't getting out of this one, but at least if it's over I would just wake up right?..

I could feel a presence behind me

No matter how fast I run it would always caught me.

Eyes still firmly shut, I squeezed them even tighter as I inhaled and exhaled sharp breaths that stung my chest with every breath I took. It was painful and I was certain I was slowly suffocating. My hyperventilation was probably visible in the real world by now.

A hand landed on my right shoulder, making my heart beat even more as tiny beads of sweat cascade down my face. The only thing breaking me from my trance being the sensation of something being draped over my shoulders and covering a large section of my back. Despite the sudden increase in my body temperature, I did not feel comforted at all. If anything the sudden warmth only added to my already panicked state. It's quite possible that I already died due to my inability to heed her warnings and run.

My eyes remained firmly shut and I refused to open them for anybody or any sound. The feeling of somebody or something still present behind me. No sounds entered my eardrums and I was certain I was dead...

"(Y/n)....are you OK?....."

A deep voice spoke from behind me, making my eyes shoot open on reflex as the vibrant colours of the distorted world around me soon returned. I spun around to see the boy that dragged me here, his face painted with confusion and his words laced with concern as he stared at my trembling figure.

What's he doing here?....

Isn't he supposed to be by the Ferris wheel?..

I blinked several times to let my eyes readjust to the blinding light of the signs that shone brightly in the background. The people that were gone a few seconds ago were all present as they continued to converse and board the various rides. The sounds of the amusement park returning and slowly filling my ears.

It was like they never disappeared...

I looked down at the navy blue jacket that was draped over my shoulders. I clutched the jacket tighter to lessen the amount of heat that escaped my body.

It was still freezing here...

I redirected my attention back to the guy in front of me who has been eyeing me in confusion the whole time. He must think I've lost my mind...

"Why are you here?....aren't you supposed to be at the ferris wheel?..." I asked in a monotone as I narrowed my eyes at him. He always shows up at inconvenient times. I have my suspicions about him and the only way to know for sure is to question him about it and see if I can find any gaps in his story.

"You were taking too long to come to the ferris wheel so I left to make sure you were okay.." He replied, looking me dead in the eye as he slowly lifting his large hands and placed them on my sides.

I still don't believe him...

"What about that - that - me!, there was a little girl that looked exactly like me right here a few minutes ago" I spoke hastily as I took a few steps back to put some distance between us. I watched his hands drop limply to his side as hurt flashed on his perfect face.

"What are you talking about?...there was nobody there... I just saw you suddenly freeze here so I walked closer..." He replied carefully as if afraid to startle me more. He took a few steps towards me, only to have me take a few more backwards.

I still wasn't convinced.

And he must have noticed...

He sighed, running his hands through his hair as he looked back up from the ground and straight towards me.

"I saw you shivering so I thought you were cold and gave you my jacket..." He added, shoving his hands in his pockets and looking at me expectantly.

I said nothing.

Partly because I didn't know what to say. I just clutched his jacket closer to me and narrowed my eyes at him. I have no idea what to say to him right now and I was too shaken up by the event from a few minutes ago to formulate a reply. My mind was still trying to figure out what she meant when she said "run".

Maybe if I opened my eyes I would have known what she meant...

I made the mistake of not asking her what she meant but I wasn't going to make the same mistake this time...

"Who are you?..."