Ramshackle Dorm

~~~~~~~
Ramshackle Dorm
~~~~~~~

Crowley searched far and wide across the library's collection for any mentions of my homeland. To my dismay, all results came out negative.

"There really is nothing. The name of your homeland can't be found on a map, but not even in our historical records either. Are you sure that's the place you came from? You're not lying to me, are you?" The masked bird man inquired. He had returned the book he was skimming through back to its original place: levitating in midair. Like several other books aimlessly floating in the library.

I was distracted by this before replying, "No, sir." In fact, let's ask the magic mirror again! He's got all the answers.

"Now that it's come to this, it's possible that you've been summoned from another planet... Or perhaps a parallel word, due to some sort of trouble." Crowley concluded.

My eyes dilated. "Parallel world?!" Did I get transported from another universe? Did I get warped into an isekai genre? How? Why??

"Did you have anything on you when you first came here? Any kind of identification—a magic driver's license, or a slipper... You appear empty-handed, though." Crowley eyed me up and down.

I don't know why he asked for those in particular but I do know that I don't even have my phone. Not my smartphone!

I pat my clothes for anything hiding in my pockets. In one of my pant pockets, my fingers grazed something solid with a cool smooth surface.

In my palm rests a gold heart lock with a small keyhole attached to a thin gold chain necklace. It has a beautiful luster shining like pure gold that I could see my reflection on it.

...Am I wearing black eyeliner right now?

"Is something the matter, Noctowl-kun? You're staring rather intently at it." Crowley spoke up. "Is it a memento or a gift from someone?"

I was caught up in my odd fixation with the makeup around my eyes (I never wear them) that I realized now I must've looked ridiculous holding a lock at my eye. "Actually, this was inherited from..."

I swallowed thickly before tersely adding, "My late mother."

A pause.

"...I see. Then I'm glad it is safely together with you, young lady." Crowley tipped his chin in acknowledgment.

I clenched the lock, lips pursed into a thin unreadable line. I said nothing and put on the necklace. The gold lock now rests above my chest with a familiar weight.

"It makes quite a charming accessory for you, Noctowl-kun." Crowley said to me, "The gold compliments your eyes, too."

I didn't make eye contact with him. My solemn expression has yet shifted to a lighter one.

Crowley fell quiet as well. He changes the conversation with a soft sigh and hands on his hips.

"This is quite a dilemma. I can't keep someone who is unable to use magic at this school. However, as an educator, throwing out a penniless youth who has no contact with their guardians would just break my heart. Since I am so very kind!" He placed a hand on his puffed out chest like a bird boasting his crest feathers.